Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • What the flip happened to Dido?
  • DrJ

When I was writing my first novella I had nothing but a pen, paper, desk and FM clock radio.

What would Hemingway have listened to?

scuzz
    Free Member

What would Hemingway have listened to?

If I recall, the repetitive and grating crying of his son – not all that dissimilar to Dido or Radio 1

tim333
    Free Member

This thread has been awesome. Whilst not a great fan of Dido (or radio 1) I met her before she was famous at an ex friends party. The ex friend (who shall remain nameless)pointed to a girl standing alone on the other side of the room saying “thats Dido” when I talked to her she told me her real name which was sadly too triple barrelled and unusual to remember. What was apparent however from talking to her was that she was treated badly by all those around her and who frequently made jokes at her expense. Her supposed circle of friends (some of whom were in a group called Faithless) used to make her get the tea and then use the studio when they had finished. The girl that I met that night was clever, witty and passionate and i really admire her for sticking it to them by becoming more successful and doing her own thing. I have wondered where she is now but I dont think she was ever motivated by money or success and I sincerely hope thats shes happy some place being creative. Music is such a personal thing and for me radio 1 weakens the soul by force feeding shite to the masses who then go and download and eat the same shite. But again each to their own, everybodys different and other cliches.
    I eat maggots worms and woodlice i’m as tough as nuts!

CountZero

Like tim333’s post. I wish no ill-will on Dido, there are plenty of ‘artists’ out there who, without the help of certain…
    mass-entertainment ‘moguls’, wouldn’t stand a cat in hell’s chance of selling any albums other than a few dozen CD-R’s to friends and family, and who find this out the hard way when their fledgling career spirals rapidly around the bowl and disappears without trace.
    My music collection runs, quite literally, from Abba to Zappa, (well, ZZTop, actually, but that loses the alliteration!), and takes in The Carpenters, Neil Diamond and Glen Campbell on the way, but has no Coldplay, Snow Patrol, or countless other favourites of Radio2.
    Radio 1 honestly makes me lose the will to live, there should be provision under the Geneva Convention, or the Human Rights Act where being forced to listen to Radio 1 comes under ‘cruel and inhuman punishment’.
    Sadly, though, there are a great many excellent bands and musicians who will never enjoy the sort of success that less ‘deserving’, for want of a better word, acts or artists do, and that’s a tragedy.
    I’ve been sniped at for putting up a big list of people I like, on ‘suggest some new music’ threads, purely because no-one had heard of them. Well, surely that’s the point, they are only obscure, because they haven’t had the exposure they deserve.
    Of course, like the NME years ago, and the hipster in the strip ^^, for some it’s the very nature of the obscurity that’s attractive; the merest hint of getting popular = sellout!
    Anyone looking for something new and interesting, that won’t frighten the horses, I can recommend Saint Saviour, Sharks Took The Rest, and Paper Aeroplanes, none of whom are like Dido.
    Or David Grey.

hora
    Free Member

I went to see Faithless live in 97 and they played that song twice even then. Dido did way better without them and shes probably growing a family and living off the royalties

donsimon
    Free Member

Radio 1 honestly makes me lose the will to live, there should be provision under the Geneva Convention, or the Human Rights Act where being forced to listen to Radio 1 comes under ‘cruel and inhuman punishment’.

That’s quite a statement.
    I’m sure that as a true music fan and expert on this matter you would find that there are some excellent sounds that come out of Radio 1. It’s a pity that you find Radio 1 so far below your intelligence level. I’m quite sure that R1 is less worried than you about this situation though.

Anyone looking for something new and interesting, that won’t frighten the horses, I can recommend Saint Saviour, Sharks Took The Rest, and Paper Aeroplanes, none of whom are like Dido.
    Or David Grey.

I am and have found it, strangely, on Radio 1. As for your recommendations, I find you a total music snob and shan’t be listening. It might be good music but I think it’s cool to generalise and make sweeping statements while living in complete ignorance. 😛

Rorschach
    Free Member

I could punch children in the face even if they were pitch perfect….do I get a prize?

konabunny
    Free Member

I have wondered where she is now but I dont think she was ever motivated by money or success and I sincerely hope thats shes happy some place being creative.

I would imagine that thanks to a certain bad tempered Detroiter she’s sitting in the country house referred to above, making as many or as few tracks in her own studio and not worrying about whether she has to sell any of them.

PS no-one asked who your friend was ;(

Having worked in a record shop when No Angel came out, i can vouch for the chubby men (and women) buying that along with David Grays White Ladder….music for people who don’t buy, or indeed have any interest in, music.

Huh. So your record shop was full of chubbies who like music but don’t I think you need to rework that dig because it doesn’t make sense.

tim333
    Free Member

Rorschach – About 12-15 months inside probably. A good slap should work just as well. Male fans of the rolling stones used to jump on to the stage and kick Mick Jagger!

tim333
    Free Member

konabunny – the ‘ex’ friend was a total dick but his mum was cool I’m glad nobody asked.

konabunny
    Free Member

I can recommend Saint Saviour, Sharks Took The Rest, and Paper Aeroplanes

I preferred their earlier work.

sparkyrhino

Didn’t a dido snatch a baby from a campsite in the oz outback years ago?

dogbert
    Free Member

Huh. So your record shop was full of chubbies who like music but don’t I think you need to rework that dig because it doesn’t make sense.

Probably living the life of Riley on the proceeds from that album while chubby insecure men who once proudly popped it into the Bose soundsystem in their dining rooms during early attempts at dinner parties, having cooked recipes from “The Naked Chef”, now pan her on internet forums in an attempt to assuage their guilt at having owned the cd. Hope she’s enjoying it.

Having worked in a record shop when No Angel came out, i can vouch for the chubby men (and women) buying that along with David Grays White Ladder.

Can I as what part of that you want explained? was it the reference to chubby people or David Gray??

oliverd1981
    Free Member

they have a list of songs they play until you want your ears to bleed.

Not to be cool or hipster about it – but why do people buy music they can listen to all of the time for free? Maybe now I’m at the point where I’m identifying a small Dido/David Grey shaped gap in my itunes collection for background when creating an extra bland powerpoint presentation.

However I think it will be a verylong time until I need to hear any more Adelle, or Vangelis for that matter.

walleater

Speaking of bland middle of the road (ahem….) music for victims, what happened to ‘The Streets’, otherwise known as Milton Keynes Dual Carriageway?

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What the flip happened to Dido?’ is closed to new replies.