Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What the craic with the bite adjustment on Elixir CR's? Mine falls off…
  • pimpingimp
    Free Member

So I bought a bike that came with a set of elixirs knowing the the rear brake needed new seals in the lever and a bleed, I’ll do a bleed when the kit arrives but was fiddling with them earlier and the lever body splits in half.
    You can turn the bite adjuster anti clockwise and there’s no obvious stop point, it just undoes. I’m wondering if they previous owner also did this hence him thinking it needs seals and a bleed?

Anyway, it looks like this.

I’m planning on just doing it up good and tight and bleeding it, and then never touching the adjuster again. What would your thoughts be on that?
    I’ve actually got the seals on their way, but it would be nice not to need them.

Anyone else experienced this?

daver27
    Free Member

First problem is Avids. Second problem is Avids.
    I know that’s no help at all!

sq225917
    Free Member

good luck if you can get the bleed screw out, I had one welded in place on my CR. I never managed what you’ve done though…

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’d never have bought them but seeing as I’ve got them I’ll give them a shot.
    Also it was easy to get as far as I did today, I just turned the bit adjuster. I’ll be locking them off and hoping for the best!

batfink
    Free Member

Hmm….. I’ve had CRs for years, and thats never happened.

Good luck with that

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The first Gen X0’s do the same. The design is rubbish. Went through 3 levers that way, if its actually unscrewed you might get it back together however if it has pulled out and striped the bit on the inside of the bore that retains the adjuster etc then they are screwed and you need a new lever / body.

boobs

I had that , On one said screw it back on it will be alright!

boobs

It is assuming you screw it on and don’t unwind it again.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

That’s exactly my plan!

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Success!

They work fine. No new seals needed. Lovely. Might keep them now 😀

JohnnyPanic

I almost did that once with mine but I realised in time. I can now tell when I’m about to turn them too far – there’s increased resistance at that point. I think…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just ditch them and get Shimano will be cheaper and less hassle

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What the craic with the bite adjustment on Elixir CR's? Mine falls off…’ is closed to new replies.