Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What state are your local trails in?
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Went out for an evening ride at my local trails – Pitmedden in P&K/Fife. I was shocked at how wet and cut up the trails were. I can’t see riding there being sustainable there this winter. Is this a phenomenom local to me? Or is everywhere like this?

Northwind

Very wet in the pentlands- as in “I am riding up a river”, though not in bad condition considering. TBH I think when it’s this bad it tends to take care of itself, people just don’t want to ride in it… It’s the marginal conditions that see more riders out.

lucien

Came off 3 times last night riding, due to mud and wrong tyres.

Front wheel wedged in a deep pool of claggy mud, that stopped me dead.

Trails (local to me) looking pretty grim – and I live on the dry, sunny south coast…….

scruff
    Free Member

Just about perfect here (Cannock Chase), been too dry all summer, bit of rain yesterday made them great tonight.

devs
    Free Member

Mostly fine here in moray but it has just started lashing down! Scotland is still suffering a water deficit this year because of the dry spring so things may dry up pretty quickly, particularly if there is still foliage around.

phiiiiil

Cannock Chase is bone dry; however instead of weather I have the forestry commission following me round with big machines so wherever I find a new bit of singletrack they seem to demolish it a week later… 🙁

DickBarton

Pretty moist around Stirling…still rideable but pretty moist!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I rode the same trail as last night (trying to improve my time) and last night they were mostly dry, tonight I’d say mostly wet.. I’m still riding on 2.0 hard pack tyres, but after this eve I may need to stick the gloopfest 2.1’s on.. I’m not looking forward to winter tyres just yet.

user-removed
    Free Member

Lovely here in NE England – hardpacked and just moist enough to give a bit of grip without clagging up the drivetrain. Four of us heading out on a nightride tomorrow from DH4 4LN if anyone fancies tagging along?

EdwardH

My local trails in West Dunbartonshire are a mud bath and have been for ages, yesterday they were seeming to get a little bit dryer, no chance after todays deluge

hugor
    Free Member

bogs of doom in south Wales

coastkid
    Free Member

Coastal trails here in East lothian dont get effected by heavy rain, They are sandy, while a bit too soft for a normal bike in summer they firm up nice in winter, esp if frozen, and are year round mud free :-), just hose off the sand and relube the chain with some squirt dry lube and job done :mrgreen:

Kevevs
    Free Member

crunchy

enfht
    Free Member

Surprisingly dry in Herts 😀

busydog
    Free Member

New Mexico —sorry couldn’t resist it

mtbfix

The Chilterns are beginning to winter in. The woods around Woodcote have been damp for a time but todays little jaunt found Hutch Pythons doing a certain amount of slithering. I guess that is faintly suitable for a tyre named after a snake but the ‘Rakers are lurking and probably not far off being fitted. See how Nettlebed area is tomorrow.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

At the moment unrideable without cutting up very badly so having to avoid it – presumably until the frost arrives! Only time this year the trails have been properly dry and dusty was in April / early May. 🙁

alpowell
    Free Member

Up at Stainburn this aft – starting to get gloopy round the main loop on the Norwood side, but still firm and dry out the back on some of the outlying trails. Bit overgrown, but firm down the river trail Otley to Leathley.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

South Manchester went from very dry to quite soft over the weekend. One descent that is *always* wet was actually dry last week but has now reverted to type.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Bedgebury fairly gloopy tonight, not coping well with recent rainfall
    Friston yesterday seemed dry by comparison.

sharki
    Free Member

Absolutely fine!

yunki
    Free Member

I wish I knew.. It’s been one of those weeks.. 🙁

BoardinBob

Mush with axle deep puddles

GW
    Free Member

trails not 40 miles South from you in Sunny East lothian are fine. and I’m not talking about these ones..

Coastal trails here in East lothian dont get effected by heavy rain, They are sandy, while a bit too soft for a normal bike in summer they firm up nice in winter, esp if frozen, and are year round mud free :-), just hose off the sand and relube the chain with some squirt dry lube and job done

I actually love riding in mud tho.

Bruce, you telling us your love of fatbike riding is really down to not wanting to get a wee bit dirty? 😯

alexpalacefan

Notts, dry and fast

APF

_tom_
    Free Member

Bit damp this morning but perfectly rideable without chewing it up. Wood and roots were a bit slick but doable. Mud tacky and nice. However since about 3pm it has been pissing it down quite relentlessly so I dunno how they’ll be looking tomorrow! Pic from early this afternoon when it was only raining lightly

🙂

hugor
    Free Member

^^^^ Very nice. Where’s that?

_tom_
    Free Member

Part of River Runs Through It in Whistler. The UK needs more north-shore inspired trails like this, I love them. When I come back home I’m thinking I will probably help out more with trail building, been quite inspired by a lot of the stuff I’ve ridden here and would love to help bring some new ideas to the places I ride 🙂 I think it’s still raining outside so what was tacky mud will probably be a bog now. Guess I’m off to buy waterproofs tomorrow then 😆

Drac

Yeah not bad up here in the NE. Let’s face it though in the winter trails get wet but they can also be frozen solid. It’s all part of the fun.

Mackem

Dusty.

…but I have a busted shoulder and cant ride on them.

jedi

tom, anyone would think you’re enjoying yourself out there 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

perfect, been the best riding all year, dry cold winter, dry early spring with drought causing punny nettle & bramble growth with just enough rain over the summer to stop the trails going too dusty.

_tom_
    Free Member

tom, anyone would think you’re enjoying yourself out there

haha yeah been going a bit overboard with photos and such but it’s so good. Ride Life is good 🙂

wwaswas

No idea 🙁

I’ve ridden for 1.5 hours in the past 8 weeks and that was on the road.

Hoping to get out again at the weekend as my ribs finally seem to be on the mend.

scottalej
    Free Member

Muddy and wet around Aberdeen area.

racefaceec90

am embarrassed to admit that i don’t know 😳 it’s been weeks since i rode my bike on the ridgeway/cherhill. i intend to remedy that situation though (as have a new bar/stem that i want to properly baptise 😉

maxray
    Free Member

Cannock Chase is bone dry; however instead of weather I have the forestry commission following me round with big machines so wherever I find a new bit of singletrack they seem to demolish it a week later..

Please steer clear of all the off piste stuff then Phiiiil! 😛

But yes, the Chase is in pretty much perfect conditions, or was on Sat when I was up.

mogrim

Massively dusty with big sand pits everywhere, hope it rains soon in Madrid.

BenjiM

Gloopy but rideable in Bowland / Longridge Fell. The fell being surprisingly wet, yet firm. Most of the mud has been washed away by the heavy downpours and left the underlying rock clear. Although there are a few little surprises here and there.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Muddy and wet in east Ayrshire, out for a night ride last
    trails are looking a bit eroded with the constant rain and wind
    weve been having, had to clear a few large fallen branches
    blocking the trail dont imagine it’s going to dry out anytime soon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What state are your local trails in?’ is closed to new replies.