Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What sort of door would you put in here?
  • pealy
    Free Member

Probably opening myself up to all kinds of criticism here but if you can ignore the rest of the picture, what kind of door would you get?

We’re not really loving the pointy arch-shaped door we have, the frame is going rotten and we’re looking to replace. Wood is a must, it still needs some glass as the hall is very very dark already.

So, any suggestions for style, natural/painted etc?

crikey
    Free Member

pealy
    Free Member

Not sure the insurance company would approve of that one..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Residential I assume?

Bregante

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d do something like this but the aperture looks a bit small on your picture – is the door full standard height?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hmmm. Rip it all out, make the opeing a bit wider, get rid of the pointy bit, glazed door with glazed panels either side?

The whole thing looks quite squat, do you step down into the hall – looks a little that way from the pic.

Doh, not quick enough… what ^MF said.

Edit: If it’s just hallway maybe widen the ‘doorway’ to where the outside lights are and use plenty of glass and nice wood, or something not painted black.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How old is the porch bit? If its old I would go for a replica. If not then something like MF posted

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some sort of double castle door thing liek this:

pealy
    Free Member

Cheers all. Yes, residential.

Porch isn’t original, no step-down and current door is full height so it may be a little low for the MF suggestion but I like the idea alot.

Pulling it down and rebuilding isn’t really an option sharkbait but a good thought.

pealy
    Free Member

Castle Doors? Nice, but I don’t think the width is there, would need to open both doors for access..

pealy
    Free Member

PS. It’s a cat-flap on the right..

sharkbait
    Free Member

By ‘ripping it all out’ I didn’t mean the entire porch…. you could open up the end wall though and just have the whole thing glass/wood. Loads of light.
    Having seen the new pic I’d def replace the end wall with big glazed feature. I think the cutey wavey facia might get damaged in the process too 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course much depends on what else you plan to do to the house as you want something to compliment further work.

I would lose the Disney facia too – go for a more simple one like the main house.

wwaswas

2nd expanding the width of the openign and glazing the result if it’s possible.

pealy
    Free Member

you could open up the end wall though and just have the whole thing glass/wood. Loads of light

I see, like it, yes, definitely worth thinking about.

sharkbait
    Free Member

… and replace the black paint with something lighter, the house would look bigger/taller.

sharkbait
    Free Member

… and you see to be missing a red welly 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or you could do much wider double doors – half glass, follow the roof line a bit more closely and take maximum advantage of the height.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

At the moment, I think your house would suit the castle door style of things. If you put in some light airy fairy sort of door/opening thing it would look a bit ****.

If you repainted your house in some lighter colours, then it might work.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d do the same again but with a couple of arched windows in it.

pealy
    Free Member

Really appreciate the pointers everyone. Will be keeping the black/white scheme as nearby houses are the same. Would love castle style but really must have some light, it’s seriously dark as it is.

Loving the idea of widening though, not sure about full glass though, maybe a solid door with some glass sides etc. What sort of finish, light wood is obviously wrong!

Sharkbait – police have been informed, I suspect it’s the moles fighting back.

wwaswas

your hall carpet could do with a hoover.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As I said above – you REALLY need to think about what else you will be doign – think of the door as a part of a project, not one thing in isolation.

As for more light – this is totally the wrong format, but it might give you the idea for a much lighter/airier/brighter option- this is what we did using European oak…

We designed this to take advantage of the view rather than add light, but of course the two go hand in hand.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Castle doors with some sort of windows in them. Job done. Colour dark

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or put some skylights in the roof?

pealy
    Free Member

Castle doors with some sort of windows in them. Job done. Colour dark

Easy as that!

pealy
    Free Member

MF- that’s seriously light & airy & looks great. Like you said, would need a tailored approach and not really looking to re-model, happy with the rest of the house generally so looking to do something which will complement the existing style.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats it! and to save yourself some money just print that picture of the doors out in full size and glue it to your current door. No one will be able to tell.

I reckon if the windows were long, thin things it might look ok?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Easy as that!

Hmmmmmmm 😐

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – it was designed into it as a new build extension so I had a blank canvas.

That’s Stainburn Downhill course you can see on the horizon (well would be able to if the picture had bleached it out)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Bregante

bruneep

Take the milk in.

mmb
    Free Member

i think you’re making a mistake! that’s a very nice door as it is, i wish i had one. just get it replaced with a light oak one the same to brighten it up a bit. seriously.

redthunder
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I agree with MMB. I say stick with something simliar, or risk turning it into a right mess that just doesn’t work, aesthetically.

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve got a “Castle Door”. Messing too much with it, as said above, could destroy the character of the house.

Mine. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

An englishman’s home…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oof. Gives me no pleasure, but HarrySpider is henceforth disqualified from posting on any future Architectural Appreciation thread. 🙁

I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules. Well, actually I do so yer banned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What sort of door would you put in here?’ is closed to new replies.