Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What size tyres on XC717
  • younggeoff

Hi will Maxxis 2.35 tyres fit on XC717 rims, looking at running them tubeless or should I stick with 2.25s

wwaswas

I've always thought 2.1 was the limit on 717's?

edit: Mavic site says 2.1 max width.

0091paddy
    Free Member

IIRC 2.3 is the max, so should be OK.

retro83
    Free Member

I've got maxxis 2.3s on mine, they come up quite small compared to other brands

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I'm currently running Kenda 2.35s on them, which come up bigger than Maxxis 2.35 by the looks of it. There's a bit of noticeable wallow at lower pressures but nothing major. I've got a set of Flow rims on order though so don't plan on running them like this long term but I'm quite happy that they're not going to explode and kill me.

You've gotta take tyre sizes with a pinch of salt really, I have some Specialized tyres that are either 2.1 or 2.2 (can't remember) that are bigger than the Kenda 2.35s.

younggeoff

Currently using 2.25 nobby nics evo's running tubless, anything less than 30 psi they feel a bit squirmy and roll on the rim a bit too much. The NN's have got very thin sidewalls though. I've got 2.1 UST versions on my other rims and they feel fine.

Just fancy trying some Maxxis tyres, Ignitor, Advantage or High Rollers

IA

I put 2.4s on mine and caned them in the alps, and I didn't die. They're a bit wallowy, but the tradeoff was worth it on the rocky stuff.

elliptic
    Free Member

Bear in mind the newer Maxxis 2.25 tyres (eg ADvantages, Ardents) actually come up larger than their older 2.35 designs (eg High Rollers).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some bikes spec'd 717s with 2.35 tyres (e.g. my 2006 Whyte 46). I've stuck with 2.35s since. The only scare I have had was on a tarmac bend at speed when the wheel suddenly felt a bit insecure. I guess it was the tyre. Used them in the Sierra Nevada a couple of times without noticing any probs tho'

Have since upgraded the rear to a 719 but that was because my fat and heavy landings were dinging the 717s

younggeoff

thanks for all the input, I'll try 2.35s on the hardtail and see how I get on 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Will fit but not the correct shape as they would on wider rim like 719'.

It's like putting 1 inch slicks on a 2.3 rim-it will fit but bloated contact.

As long as you're not racing 😉 and the tyre can't pop off or tyre wall seems seated.

Most people never notice anyway.

takisawa2

2.35 Nev/BG here no probs.

james
    Free Member

"2.35 tyres fit on XC717 rims, looking at running them tubeless or should I stick with 2.25s "

Bear in mind a Maxxis 2.25" is a lot bigger than a Maxxis 2.35", as big as a 2.5"
    Its because older tread Maxxis (High Roller/Minion/Ignitor/Larsen TT/Swampthing/Medusa etc.. use much smaller carcasses than newer treads (Crossmark/Advantage/Ardent)
    A new tread 2.1" is only a little smaller than an old tread 2.35"

Mavic does say max of 2.1" (eg XM719 is 2.3") but Maxxis do come up pretty small. A 2.1" Kenda Nevegal is only slightly smaller than a 2.35" High Roller, and I find both run okay on a rear XC717 disc, though I wouldn't want to run any bigger
    A 2.35" High Roller has a much flatter shape than for eg a Nevegal and much taller/beefy side tread, so even on a narrower rim they should behave quite well

I've run a 2.25" Advantage and a 2.5" High Roller on a rear XC717 disc before (acting as a spare wheel) and both required a lot of pressure to reduce the increased pinchflats and general stability of a fat tyre on a narrow rim, especially noticable under 'heavy' cornering and landing drops (the angle the tyre meets the rim was getting 'extreme')

younggeoff

I've a nice pair of 1.95's for when I race 😉 they're currently gathering dust

Keva
    Free Member

Conti 2.3s have been fine on my 717s in the past.

KevinPP
    Free Member

I ran a pair of 2.25 Ardents tubeless on mine. Felt fine at the time but then swapped over to Flow rims and the difference in tyre shape and feel was quite evident.

Northwind

"edit: Mavic site says 2.1 max width."

It does, but the sticker on the rim disagrees- IMO they advertise them differently to create better product differentiation, not because of the rim's capabilities.

I've run 2.35 Nevegals and Blue Grooves- which are both unusual in that they actually measure 2.35 across- and both have been spot on. Run the same tyres on my Traversees, can't tell any difference despite the fact that internet experts tell me they'll be the wrong shape, or won't grip, or will fall off the rims.

smiffy

717 / 719 – 2mm, or each hook is 1mm further out, I can't believe that makes much difference.

I have used 1.5", 1.95", 2.1", 2.35" all on 317 / 517 / 717 and they all seem to fit just fine.

scruzer
    Free Member

had 2.35 Pana Rampages on at 25-30 psi with no bother, now running Pana Cinder 2.25 at 28-30psi and no bother

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What size tyres on XC717’ is closed to new replies.