Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What sintered pads for new style xt brakes
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Had another set of sintered finned shimano pads in for 1 month and roughly 170 miles (Peak District grit/wet/shit etc)

Too expensive to be going through them that quick, so gonna but some cheapo sintered for the rest of winter, can anyone recommend me some noise free long lasting sintered please?

My shimano finned organic are almost full life on the front so I obviously drag the rear abit more, which is fine on cheapo pads but not willing to pay 35 quid for them for rear, especially with no end to wet in sight

Reckon shimano sintered will last ages in spring summer etc but can’t afford to use them at the min

Recommendations please for sintered cheapo

Liftman

Uberbikes race matrix version

Yak

I’m a fan of Clarkes sintered generally. I’d guess that they will have them for your brake. Cheap, last well, sometimes noisy though.

shredder
    Free Member

Ran Superstar Kevlar in my XT brakes found them very good.

Also have the Uberbike Race Matrix in another also very good.

burt
    Free Member

+1 uberbike race matrix.

widge34
    Free Member

Uberbike for me

edward2000
    Free Member

Uberbike race matrix here too

Tracey

Another one for Uberbike race matrix

sumomatt
    Free Member

Another +1 for Uberbike Race Matrix

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whichever sintered pads are cheapest. Im using superstar at present.
    BTW finned pads in the UK is probably overkill.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jesus, are they really that good? 😆

longer lasting than sintered? i cant massively grumble at 160 miles in the peak/cannock in the shite weather, its just the fact that the pads are £35 quid, and id probably get a month out of sintered cheapo ones i reckon

ill go back to sintered finned ones in summer as they seemed to last ages in october – jan (the amount of miles i did anyways with better weather)

so these uberbike ones, really that good? anyone using them in the peak? or generally how long are they lasting?

BadlyWiredDog

I’m liking the Uberbike sintered ones in the Peak so far, much nicer, less ‘wooden’ ironically, feel than the SS equivalents. Lasted fine so far, but it’s relatively early days. I haven’t used the Race Matrix ones.

You can also try pre-baking them in the oven at around 200?C for about 30 minutes before using – reckoned to increase pad life by about 30% or so, recommended by that Mike Hall fella in a pre-Strathpuffer article a few years back.

Fwiw, I think the nature of the Peak at the moment is that most things will wear fast if they rub or rotate or move against something else. One of those Bionicon C-Guide tubes managed three rides here before wearing through, which was interesting.

Rich
    Free Member

Discobrakes are good too, and only about £6.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

BWD – in general (i know its hard to gauge, but you ride alot of stuff i do) how long do you get out of a sintered set cheap or otherwise?

id have stuck with the shimano finned sintered as the pair i had from new in october lasted until jan, with around 300 miles on them, admittedly oct and nov were relatively dry, then december came and they were getting lower and lower after every ride

i stuck the shimano finned organic on the front at the same time as these finned sintered and the finned organic are like new still on the front (same amount of time in as rears that are worn down), guess you just dont brake as much up front

z1ppy

I’m currently using Superstar sintered but they haven’t lasted anywhere near as long as the original Shimano pads, but also didn’t fall apart at the 1st use either 😀
    Plan to try some RWD’s next, as they seem to be getting great reviews, that said those uberbikes ones aren’t expensive

Kryton57

Rich – Member
    Discobrakes are good too, and only about £6.

…or £22 for 4 pairs. Been using them for years, never a problem.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – in general (i know its hard to gauge, but you ride alot of stuff i do) how long do you get out of a sintered set cheap or otherwise?

I don’t really keep score any more – I just swap them when they wear out and buy the things in (relative) bulk. Agree on the deceptive durability of the Shimano OE pads though. Sorry, not much help I know, but my brain works a bit like:

1. Organic/resin pads – vaporise in one or two rides.
    2. SS Red – vaporise in three or four rides.
    3. Alligator semi-metallic – last a bit longer than SS reds, work well, use on the cross bike.
    4. Sintered – last considerably longer than alternatives

But changing brake pads has become something of a regular occurrence to the point where it doesn’t really register. Having a couple of bikes on the go probably contributes to that too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What sintered pads for new style xt brakes’ is closed to new replies.