• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What road bike tyres?
  • dan93
    Free Member

Hi,

In need of a new pair of road tyres. They are for winter training so puncture resistance and life more of a priority than weight, though they need to roll well and have grip cornering/downhill.

Really don’t know what to get, seem to be negative reviews on almost every tyre! must below £50 for both.

Are these any good?
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Tyres++Tubes/Road+Tyres++Tubes/Vittoria+Road+Tyres/Vittoria+Rubino+Pro+3+Folding+Tyre_2411.htm

Also looking at folding conti ultrasports and schwalbe durano’s…

Thanks

samuri
    Free Member

Conti GP4000’s. May not be in budget but they’ll pay you back. Seemingly immortal, I’ve known them to go over 3000 miles without a puncture.

oldgit
    Free Member

Those Rubino Pros are about the best ‘normal tyre’ you’ll get.

Another thing I bought as a compramise that ended up staying on.

headfirst
    Free Member

samurai +1, shop around you’ll find a deal on them somewhere

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’d go for maxxis re-fuse or spesh armadilo’s. I can get over a year on both of them. When i do puncture its only because the tyre is worn through to the casing so i get new ones.

Bontrager have a really nice durable tyre as well, can’t remember the name of it though.

prezet
    Free Member

I run Ultra Gatorskins year round. No problems with grip – except one ‘off’ on some black ice.

LardLover
    Free Member

+1 for GP4000’s

2500 miles so far on mine and not one puncture (gone and done it now 😯 )

jonba
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano have been good for me and before that Continental Gatorskins

fisha
    Free Member

conti ultra gator skins for me all year round.

never had a single issue with them. Only puncture i’ve had with them was a pinchflat on a really large stone, so no fault of the tyre.

dustytrails

GP 4000S’s here most of the year & 4 seasons when real bad – Black chilli well worth the extra few quid imho – current 4000s’s done over 1500 miles & can still see the “seam” – grip great too

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d go for Conti 4 seasons – been riding those in winter or summer and they are great – only 1 puncture d.t. blow out on big stone – very happy with them 🙂

Having said that I have some Gator Skins on my Winter bike/commuter and only 1 puncture as Hit a stone and I hadn’t checked the tyre pressure 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

I hope you take a spare tube or two on your next ride LardLover, you have tempted fate there.

Another vote for 4000s here too BTW.

dan93
    Free Member

Do the GP4000’s last as well as other tyre’s, seeing as they are the racing model and I will not be racing over winter seems a bit of a waste…

Are Bontrager RXL all weather any good (£19 each)

brassneck

Michelin Krylions are pretty cheap and seem a C+ fave for longevity.

Got some 25mms on for winter commuting, and they seem no slower.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use Bontrager RXL in the summer and Bontrager RXL hardcase in the winter. Happy with them especially as they’re more getonandoffable then others I’ve used.

Taff
    Free Member

Schwable Blizzards are cheap on On-One and are what I’m using, they have some pucnture protection too.

will
    Free Member

Got the Vittoria Rubinos in 25c and 23c, both steel bead. Think I paid about £6 each for them off Wiggle and On One. 23c for the road bike winter wheels, and 25s for the commuter. No punctures so far, and they do role well, and also offer extra confidence in the wet.

I originally oly got them because they were cheap, however was impressed, and at £6 a tyre you can’t go wrong!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What road bike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.