Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what road bike for commuting?
  • bamboo
    Free Member

Hi all.

I’m thinking of getting a road bike to help increase time on the bike when I don’t have time to use the mtb properly, but also to commute to work on. Work is 7 miles away. I was trying to look at some commuter bikes whilst in traffic this morning, and figured a single pannier would be useful.

What kind of bikes do you use? Does a cx bike make sense to allow cheeky shortcuts to be made?

Cheers.

wors

tourer or cx i reckon.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends whether you have any cheeky shortcuts to make.

cx bikes are a lot of fun for that reason, though they don’t always take mudguards or racks, which IMO are essential if you plan to commute year round and/or don’t plan to change at work.

I use a ti tourer with disc brakes, rack, mudguards and 28 tyres. I have a separate cx bike and road bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Something from Genesis Bikes. Condor Fratello, very nice. I think Dolan are doing a nice sports/winter frame. Classic Surly?

smell_it
    Free Member

Any bike with guard and rack mounts; I commute 25 miles daily on a px team alu with the crud road racers on. Ideally I would have wanted proper mudguards, but frame and fork where picked up 2nd hand for a bargain, and I don’t carry enough kit to want panniers. Horses for courses, and all that.

bamboo
    Free Member

There are a couple of bits which are a bit more tow path than tarmac road, and not having owned a road bike in the past I’m not entirely sure what I’ll get away with. No showers at work, but dont fancy riding in wearing work clothes so will prefer a pannier over a rucksack.

How much do i need to spend / any tips for where to get 2nd hand other than ebay?

NormalMan

Not sure of your budget but would this be of interest to you?
    Revolution Cross

wors

check edinburgh bicycle. They have a nice tourer with all the stuff for commuting for about 650 iirc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what road bike for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM