Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What Mobile Phone
  • grantway
    Free Member

Daughter given me a list of phones to chose from.
    And what is best?

LG KP500 Cookie.
    Samsung Genio Touch.
    Samsung Tocco Lite.

grantway
    Free Member

are these crap?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

no. They aren't, but if your using them for mtbing with, I would recommend something more robust.

rs
    Free Member

like a mountain bike?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

good one rs…. my sides are splitting. 😯

rs
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

rj
    Free Member

Under no circumstances get an LG Renoir. I spend most of my time smashing it against stuff in frustration. It's thus far proving to be irritatingly robust.

I know it's not on your list, but better to be safe than sorry.

My wife has the Tocco Lite (the phone for people who can't spell light). S'aright.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Nokia 6310i the workhorse of phones, long battery life, No frills, great signal, robust, available on ebay.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

iPhone

Nico
    Free Member

Tocco Lite is not 3g and costs about 80 quid. But a LG Viewty, while not the greatest of phones gives you 3g for the same sort of money. So quicker downloads. Assuming you are going for it because you want to view internets. Otherwise just pay 25 quid for a basic.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cookie and Tocco Lite have been around for ages. No experience with the Genio.

I'm assuming this is a present for your daughter rather than your daughter choosing you a phone?

Northwind

The Tocco Lite seems pretty nice, but all my past experience with Samsung tells me that they'll be superficially decent, and then the OS will turn out to be possessed by evil. For instance- hiding the apostrophe.

grantway
    Free Member

Yes dooosuk
    Thank you guys for the input.

mieszko
    Free Member

My friends wife has a Genio and it's a very nice phone. Touchscreen is responsive and phone works pretty well. Had a go on another's friend touchscreen LG (some basic model) and You almost have to push the screen inside the phone to actually choose anything, not the case with the Samsung. It's not 3g, but it has a camera and a easy menu plus it has replaceable covers, basically a fun phone with all the facebook, bebo things. She likes it and it's not a massive brick like some LG. Best thing is You can get them cheap, my mate found a voucher on the net and paid under £60.

Terrydactyl

The new nokia 3720 looks just right for "outdoors" I have one on order!

Coyote
    Free Member

Similar situation to you grantway. 11 y/o wants a phone on payg. She'll only really use it for testing but wants a 'nice one'. Your list looks vaguely familiar. I'm steeling myself for a trip into Warrington to tour the phone shops and torment them for the best deal.

Probably going on Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday next week. Remind me and I'll let you know how I get on.

stealthcat

Terrydactyl – where have you ordered the 3720 from? None of the phone shops I've asked have even heard of it!

mieszko
    Free Member

Nokia is available on Play.com but for £100 doesn't offer that much…

Another option would be a Sony Ericsson C702, it`s dust and waterproof, has GPS and good camera. Unfortunately the case quality is pretty poor as it wears out quick and the phone although still working fine looks tatty. My friend has one and uses the mapping function when on the bike as he can always check where he is if he's lost. But it has aGPS and not GPS and that's probably not the same thing and if You don't have a signal on your mobile it will not show you your position.

But again touchscreen phones are in fashion now, so getting a classic looking handset might not be a good choice 🙂 Genio is the newest one from the bunch, well priced and quite heavily advertised now as well 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I've an n97, it does loads but may be a bit too much "computer" for her, why not try a Pre?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Don't buy a phone from a shop. You get much better deals via the internet (o2 internet shop is far cheaper than o2 retail shop)

http://www.mobiles.co.uk (part of carphonewarehouse) has some cracking deals
    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk used to have good details but above link is better when I looked last month.
    tesco/asda mobiles are good on pay and go

grantway
    Free Member

Have seen this deal and as my contract has come to an end.may go for this deal from Carphone warehouse and give my Daughter the phone.

Nokia 5530
    With vodaphone £ 35.00p per month.
    free unlimited land line calls
    free unlimited txt messages
    900 min cross network calls

And a free PS3 games console.

Thanx again for all your help.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

#i have the Samsung Tocco and it's a great phone, small easy to use. I take it MTBing and have found i robust too.

grantway
    Free Member

Bought the above package today

Thank you for your input and help

Taff
    Free Member

I've only got the tocco at the moment but a friedn has the lite and they haven't rectified their mistakes. The OS system really sisn't that great and the touch screen isn't particularly great either. The LG have slightly better reviews. If your daughter is looking at syncing the phone with the computer [ie outlook] the a samsung is definately not the right answer.

Your note on carphone warehouse… go direct the the supplier and ring them up. CPWH can only gove standard deals where as the suppliers can be a little more competative. The fact that have to entice you witha PS3 relfects what you're going to be getting. Also be aware that if you get a phone from the store that you must check over it properly in store as the contract won't allow you to return it unless faulty so make sure you're happy with it.

grantway
    Free Member

Thank you for your input taff and good points there.
    But I did approch Orange net work and they could only give me
    the same deal in the phone package.
    So the phone is better than the one me Daughter wanted
    and I got what I wanted for my business and thats the unlimited
    landlines and unlimited TXT messages and better signal coverage
    with Vodaphone.
    And the PS3 just a Free bonus.
    Selling the game that come with it if anyone is intrested.

Ratchet & Clank A Crack In Time / Game rated U
    Cost £ 39.99p
    Yours £ 20.00p inc postage
    Game in original wrapper

Terrydactyl

My Nokia 3270 arrived on Saturday. So far so good, for those that are interested. I got it from Expansys.
    This place

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What Mobile Phone’ is closed to new replies.