• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by lord.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What older full suss bike?
  • tommid
    Free Member

As I get older and more bits of me ache, I wonder if I should get myself a cheap old full suspension bike (ebay Sub £500) that I could bring out for the occasional trail centre and long weekend away rides. My SS Hardtail will still be my day to day bike.

The question is what one would you go for? It doesnt have to have loads of travel, but has to still have a reasonable ride quality and a frame that justifies some upgrading as I go.
    I wondered maybe a a GF sugar or a Kona Dawg or coilair or even a Kona Stinky doesnt have loads of travel compared to modern FS bikes. What about a Horst link Specialized FSR?

What have you got or what would you get?

GEDA
    Free Member

Cannondale Prophet?

wwaswas

I’ve got a 10 year old Giant NRS – most of the bits are newer (and it’s SS now) but it’s a great short travel FS frame;

chakaping
    Free Member

Dawg is a good call, I know a couple of people still riding five-year-old ones and perfectly happy with them.

Forget the Stinky – for lift-assisted/push-up riding only.

racefaceec90

single pivot marin mount vision

TooTall
    Free Member

Old Scott Genius? Superb bikes from the get-go if you can find one.

xiphon
    Free Member

Cost me around the £500-£550 in total. Bargaintastic!

2000 Patriot…. 150mm travel though!

z1ppy

“single pivot marin mount vision” only if it has the ovation tubing, the square one’s were over weight & nasty.

Basically anything with a single pivot and a fox shock would be my recommendation for a simple reliable full susser.
    ei: Prophet, Rush, Superlight, Heckler, etc.

Though lots of good un’s out there, and most are very good performers (say over the last 5 years), even if they didn’t get a great ratings in the magazine. Do some reserch and look for those unsung heros, but bear in mind more pivots can mean more wear (in the pivots as well as the bearings), and unless it a fox shock they “tend” to be crap & unsupported service wise.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Dawg, Sub-5, Mount Vision, Prophet, Stumpjumper

fisha
    Free Member

I have kona coiler 05 …. really really pleased with it. frame was sub £200, and a set similar aged marzocchi forks were about £60 on ebay. Easily built up into a great trail centre bike.

TimP
    Free Member

Had a £350 I-drive 5 ebay bike and just swapped the bits onto a £100 Sub 5 frame. No problems with either, I just didnt “get” the I-drive, as it was heavy and only really felt at home on smooth flowing trails but had 5.5″ of suspension

Northwind

Aye, does it have to be old or just inexpensive? You can get complete, nicely specced Idrive 5s for buttons and they’re nice bikes. Heavy, and a bit steep, but otherwise good. Good value new, stupendous used.

AlasdairMc

2002-2004 Enduro? Classic bike, mine is still going strong and won’t be replaced until I break it.

nickf
    Free Member

Early 5-Spot. My 2005 Horst-link is still going strong (now coil rear suspension and 36s up front)

z1ppy

I wonder if I should get myself a cheap old full suspension bike

Eeerrrm unless they’ve suddenly dropped in price, aren’t Turner 5 spots of any age quite expensive (might well be worth it BUT).

and as for the early Enduro, when a thread occasionally appears with one, everyone surprised it hasn’t broken yet? 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

’03-04 Enduro. So good I’ve got two (and S-Works and an SX).

nickf
    Free Member

Dunno how much my 5-Spot’d be worth, but it can’t be a huge amount. As it stands now it might be worth a max of £1500, but then it’s got 2010 Hope V2 brakes, 2009 forks, 2011 rear suspension and 2008 wheels. If it was as built in 2005 it’d be worth less than a bag.

FWIW, I picked up a lovely Patriot a few months back for £800 – Sun Singletrack rims on Hope bubs, newish M4s, Van 36…….OK, £500 might be too little, but you don’t have to go up much to get something really very good indeed.

The-remedy
    Free Member

What about a marin b 17 1998 like this.
    http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/remedy9/

The only think standard is the frame which i powder coated,
    a lot of the stuff on it is from my remedy 9 and from you
    good guys,and a lot new stuff aswell.
    One day i will ride it. 😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

Already been mentioned, but a Prophet!

I also have a large one going spare?

xiphon
    Free Member

That B17 is a beauty! Looks brand new!

takisawa2

If its not already gone, snap up that Ventana frame that was sub £300 on here. Almost identical to an El-Ciclon, that will set you back the thick end of £1500. They go on for years. Quad bearings that just never seem to wear out.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

another vote for Kona Dawg/Coiler (they all increased in travel thru the years, my 2004 coiler was 130mm, which the dawg became when the coiler went to 150mm). Shouldnt have sold mine (see bike youve had most fun on thread 🙄 )

epicsteve
    Free Member

Here’s my ’04 Enduro:

I was out on it this evening and it’s still great. It’s not even my oldest full-suss – my Epic is an ’03 and also still going strong.

colande
    Free Member

yup single pivot like mentioned above
    an older marin,
    the jon whyte designed ones,
    100mm-140mm frames

i’m pretty sure there was one for sale a couple of weeks ago on the classifieds, think it was a rock springs

here you go
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-marin-rocksprings-very-cheap-full-sus-175-500

lord
    Free Member

5 spots are ace

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What older full suss bike?’ is closed to new replies.