Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 271 total)
  • What no Grand Tour (new Top Gear) thread?
  • DrJ
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Will watch later. Gawd bless Kodi. 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

I think much of the “fun” of Top Gear ended up being figuring out what obtuse phrase Clarkson had used in the show that would upset someone.

The last couple of series definitely had an “End of the Pier” feel to them, enjoyable but you knew what you were going to get, there was little of that “Ooh! I wonder what they’ll come up with this week?” Trying to destroy the Toyota pickup was a great mini-series for example.

simon_g

You can download for offline viewing on the Amazon Video mobile/tablet apps.

jimdubleyou

….you have to stream it.

You don’t have to – the Amazon Video app allows downloading (at the least the iOS one does, pretty sure the Android one will too).

You can definitely airplay downloaded content to Apple TV.

Admittedly, that is a bit of a faff…

johnners
    Free Member

The budget for TGT is reputedly £4m an episode so I’ll probably have a look just to see where the money went.

Alex

Just watched it. We already had prime. I thought it was great. Not sure about the new track yet…

mt
    Free Member

I’ve just had a thought (steady), Clarkson for PM let’s have him he could be our Trump. Think of the frothing down at Guardian (we don’t pay tax) towers, even better think of the apoplectic readers. It would keep the moaning forum section busy for years, they’ll have real meaning to their lives.

Still no link so I can watch it for free?

sc-xc

I have spent the last few years happily hating Clarkson, Hammond and May. I have taken every opportunity to slag off the scripted, cliched shit that has passed for recent Top Gear…

So I watched this hoping that it would be terrible. I thought it was fantastic. Hothouse Flowers sent shivers down the old spine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

MT – just sign up for the free trial of Prime.
    It’s not hard. 🙄

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Yes.

jimjam
    Free Member

mt

Many. But my advice would be to not waste your time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe yeah, Hothouse Flowers !!

Used to be one of my favourite bands BITD.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well it was OK. It had the drama of the previous Top Gear with the expensive cars and well produced images, it had the buffoonary and some of the humour. It didn’t have the rubbishy bits from Top Gear that everyone complained about.
    I do think that The Stig should have been negotiated a better deal and gone to Amazon.
    Glad I didn’t cough up the £59.00.
    They are clearly very good at what they do.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Watched for free on my 30 day free trial

Enjoyed it, but that have been due to the cars on this weeks show. Not sure I’ll subscribe to the rest of the series, but definitely better than the last series of top gear.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

1h3 min in. Its 1h11 mins long but had to pause due to baby needing attention. Nothing so far i didnt like…..

shifter
    Free Member

Like what they did with the stars. On normal TG that’s fast forwarded on my telly.

crazy-legs

I sort of feel like I must have been watching a different show to everybody else cos I didn’t think that much of it TBH.

Intro section was basically Clarkson rubbing everyone nose in it by saying “look, I can punch a colleague and instead of being hauled up on assault charges, I just **** off to the USA and get paid millions of pounds!” although the desert car scene was nicely filmed.

Too much whooping and YEAH BOY! from the audience.

If I want to watch millionaires thrash around in super expensive cars I can watch Formula 1 – the entire show was basically them poncing round a test track yet managing to say very little about the actual cars other than some less-funny-than-usual scripted pisstaking.

The celebrity thing I thought was rather crass as well, the fake parachute death thing. Poor taste and again rather like saying “who needs celebrities when you’ve got us to fawn over!”

However I got sucked in by the marketing and spent £59 on an Amazon Prime subscription so I guess I’ll watch Episode 2 and hope for an improvement.

Drac

I really do think you’ve looked too much into this Crazy-legs

sadmadalan

I’ve got prime and I will watch it. Given that they are spending over £4m per episode to make it then it ought to be fantastic. I suspect the first half dozen will be good then it will tail off as it starts to get repetitive. I can’t see Amazon making much money from it – except to raise the profile of Amazon online video.

cozz
    Free Member

watched it, love top gear

fell asleep half way through, never find expensive sports cars that interesting, as cannot associate with them.

much prefer the “buy a car for £1500 and drive it across africa type of thing”

dune buggies will be more up my street, and 4×4’s

oliverracing

Just seen it – pretty damn good, what top gear could have been with a bigger budget. Definitely think it would be even better on the big screen!

bearnecessities

I really do think you’ve looked too much into this Crazy-legs

It’s just his gut instinct rather than an in-depth critique 🙂

The filming and such-what was great, but the presentation/humour etc was pretty crappy.

The celebrity thing I thought was rather crass as well, the fake parachute death thing.

I ruddy love dark humour, but that was just weird.

I did chortle a couple of times, and maybe it’ll get better, but definitely not as good as I remember the BBC version.

Kamakazie

I thought it was pretty derivative all round. Much like the TG refresh I was hoping for a new approach but I guess they know what people like about the show (based on comments here at least) so aren’t going to risk changing things too much.

Let’s hope TG takes the hint from last series and does something new. No more bloody SIARPC.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a genuine celeb sign up to appear on a show and fake their own death. Fair play to them.

Crazy-legs – I bet you put salt in your porridge

rickmeister

Well, I loved it too, so long BBC TG which is a shame as Harris and extra gear were great…

slimjim78
    Free Member

I was hoping for a new approach but I guess they know what people like

People keep saying this, but what could they actually do? It’s a car show loosely based on cars. I thought they changed things up just fine.

It was all pretty much seat-of-your-pants action with fantastic camera work, and the holy trinity each seemed relaxed and up for it.

butcher

Thought it was much of the same. Top Gear with a bit of a shake up, but pretty much the same format. As good as it was…did they really spend £2.5million on that opening scene???

Felt a bit too scripted in places. Kinda like when the new Top Gear started. But I guess it’ll bed in.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty rubbish TBH. Its effectively the same as the BBC ones but without a star to interview.

The “lads” ragging expensive cars sideways format was exhausted long ago. At least in that episode there was no tenuous “lets modify our own cars” silliness, but it looks like thats coming.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I’m one to talk but I couldn’t stop staring at those teeth behind Clarkson.

That aside, it was really good.

DavidB
    Free Member

**** me the track is almost the woods behind Nationwide. I ride past it 3 times a week. Never seen old buggerjowls though.

cookeaa

I am probably in quite a small minority here, but I wasn’t all that taken with it.

It is basically the same show that the later series of top gear had evolved into, but apparently with more budget…

The dead celebrities ‘Gag’ almost worked… But then sort of fizzled out. The main segment where they frothed over some hypercars was OK, pretty standard TG fayre.
    “The American” and his scripted quips will wear thin before too long… He lacks the charm of the stig.

The one thing I really did like however was the idea of the show changing location each week, the big tent and a more international ‘studio audience’ each time, that is a really good element of the ‘new’ show, I just wish they’d actually made some sort of segment/film in the country they were visiting other than the intro…

Overall it still feels like the same show, several of the clarksonites at work will be unconditionally euphoric over it I’m a bit Meh I could still be won over, but early indications are that they’re sticking to the established TG formula…

Tiger6791

I couldn’t stop staring at those teeth behind Clarkson.

Yep, with all that brass, a trip to the dentist wouldn’t hurt 🙂

Enjoyed it though

crosshair
    Free Member

I coughed up just to spite the BBC. And loved it! Nostalgic yet fresh, familiar yet better and funny- LOL funny.
    Looking forward to the next episode.

rone

Clearly geared for a US(world) market. Bombastic and not really very funny. High production values don’t make it great in my opinion.

Lost the man in a shed element. However fans are likely to be satisfied.

kerley
    Free Member

It is basically the same show that the later series of top gear had evolved into, but apparently with more budget…

Exactly. And the old show had gone on long enough. So we now have old Top Gear on Prime with previous presenters and new Top Gear on BBC with new presenters. Both shows the same tired format.

But I am not the target audience as neither are shows for people who are actually interested in cars, much better stuff on YouTube for that.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Watched it last night and felt a bit meh about it to be honest. When they started with the news but but not called the news it felt a bit like when I found a bottle of ‘North Bridge Brown Ale’ in Aldi last week. I just felt like I was watching a special on tour version of top gear where they changed the logo and went on an old school radio 1 road trip but weren’t allowed to mention anything that might have a legal clash with original top gear.
    Like someone said earlier, I’ve never enjoyed the hypercar features as they’re no way relatable to me.
    Killing a celeb once was amusing but 3 times got repetitive. Especially with Vordeman, she looked like one of those z-listers desperate to get on the telly box for a smidge of exposure.
    There were a few genuine chuckles and there’s potential once it finds its legs and I stop comparing it to TG. And hopefully they’ll just have more of the fun blokes messing about type features rather than million pound car reviews that make feel very poor!

simmy
    Free Member

Watched it at mates last night, not made my mind up yet but one thing I’ve decided is you can’t deny how well Clarkson, Hammond and May work together compared to Evans and Le Blanc.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They are trying a bit hard but there were more hits than misses.

The celeb bit was funny once. Twice was strained and Carol Vorderman killed it.

It needs to settle into the new format and it’ll be good. You can’t judge until there’s been a big trip; that’s were the laughs are.

But, it looked great.

Drac

But I am not the target audience as neither are shows for people who are actually interested in cars,

It’s not? Well I didn’t get the memo.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘What no Grand Tour (new Top Gear) thread?’ is closed to new replies.