Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What MPV
  • konajim
    Free Member

Looking for a used M P V for catrrying bikes and Logs .

Cit Beringo Renault Kangoo Peugeot Partner
    Any helpfull advice would be welcome I E Problems Petrol? desil Model

Im not realy into cars and find it a minefield . looking for a used model up to about 3,500 Based in Scotland .

Any help would be great
    Thanks
    jim

druidh
    Free Member

Fiat Multipla

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Land Rover 110. 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

you might find a nice petrol model for that kinda money but
    absolute night mare to find a diesel one !

ive been looking for a diesel 1.6 HDI anywhere between 3 and 8 grand and found they sell usually before they are in the adverts. Dealers tell me they have a waiting list its crap

fliptophead
    Free Member

The 2 ltr hdi berlingo is great, no need to go for the 1.6, plenty around and no real snags if you're happy with the odd creak from the trim. Ride quality is pretty good, makes the best of post-snow potholed surfaces.

konajim
    Free Member

Thanks for reply

Ive been warned to stay away from Fiats…dont know why?
    Berlingos hard to find with low milage in Scotland .
    Any sites you could reccomend?
    jim

kokomojoe
    Free Member

I have a Fiat Doblo-the trim is a wonderful array of plastic but the turbo charged 2 litre engine is economic (55mpg without trying), seats are comfortable in the front and the rear seats fold easily. All of these vans with windows are really much the same but be sure to by a turbo deisel one. The petrol engines, particularly the smaller ones struggle on the motorway. If you really want to go the whole hog go for a Picasso or a Scenic. Land Rovers, and I have had a few, are not as economic and repair bills can be way beyond the average pocket. Having said all of that money no object a 110 Rover would be nice

ditch_jockey

Mate had a Berlingo – spent nearly a year in the garage while they tried to sort out the electrics. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

Have you had a look at the VW Touran, Ford S-Max or the Vauxhall Zafira? I'd tend to go for one of those if I was looking for an MPV. We have a Touran at the moment – great car, very reliable, drives okay (although S-Max is supposed to be better) and I can get huge amounts of kit and dogs inside. I've managed 6 people and 1 collie inside with a trailer full of bikes.

mudshark
    Free Member
    sweepy
    Free Member

Jeremy probably doesnt load bikes in the back tho, the lip on the loading bay is really high making loading a PITA. not as big as you might think either. Seats remove easily tho.

ian-r

I have had a Mulipla for about 10 years. Only major issue was a broken differential needing a recon gearbox. Other than that it carries my 3 teenagers in comfort and with the back seats out is like a small van.
    I may have been lucky but other than the above it has been reliable. Get the diesal as the 1.6 petrol is a bit gutless.

WEJ

I've had a Citroen Synergie for a few years and it's been a great bike car. All the seats are removable which gives a large (3000L), flat load space. Sliding rear doors make it very versatile as well. Takes bikes upright with both wheels and seat post fitted. And been reliable as well.

firestarter
    Free Member

i love our zafira 7 seats when needed or a huge boot with them folded down and a great big van with all seats down 😉

DickBarton

Berlingo is a very good car if you can find the one you want…Arnold Clark have loads on their website (or did have)…and the Citreon dealership of Arnold Clark seems to be quite common (in Central Scotland at least)…can get 3 bikes and 3 bodies plus gear in one no probs (unless they are rather large bike or big travel i.e. over 140mm), then probably 2 bikes complete and a third disassembled.

I'd like a new style Berlingo, but can't afford one…so I'll just have to wait…the price you are after it might not be a big garage that you get it from, private sales more likely…

tony_m
    Free Member

Feel free to point and laugh, but I've got a 2003 Kangoo 1.6 Authentique (i.e. the base model). 8)

Got it three and a bit years ago secondhand, and have had a few problems along the way (new front discs, front wheel bearings, heater control, and an engine sensor which was the cause of the only time it's failed to start), plus the auto box developed a fault which was fixed under warranty, but on the whole it's been great.

It's more van-like than the others – e.g. not got any carpets at all – which IMO makes it ideal for outdoor activities. I just chuck the bike in the back, and any muck can simply be wiped away afterwards. I've also got changed in the back after more than one sopping wet hill-walk.

It's also proved its worth as a load-carrier. At various times it's been used to shift furniture, a washing machine and a fridge for a house-move, and the last trip involved lugging three new IKEA bookcases, two CD towers and a chest of drawers, a bag of logs, a box of firewood, a box of presents, several smaller boxes of bits and pieces, plus all my own kit, up to my friend's in the Outer Hebrides. OK, so there wasn't room for a bike or anybody else, but it did the job brilliantly.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I passed a Multipla on the M60 this morning with smoke pouring out of it.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Thinking about selling my 51 plate VW Sharan if your interested(live in Central Scotland). Need something for work or I would keep be keeping it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

phoned everysingle berlingo 1.6HDI on the citroen website in scotland last friday to be greeted with "thats sold " ,

"have you got anything similar"

"not at the moment we are looking for them as they have been popular lately"

This is also driving up the price imho ….

Similar story on autotrader,scotcars , carfinderscotland. only car i actually got to go and view was a peugeot partner combi and it was well ratty for 5 grand – its still sitting there in dundee – 1.9D with 40k on the clock – metro motors

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and i wanted 1.6 for insurance and tax purposes

konajim
    Free Member

G =Scum

V W sharan no good as this looks a niec car and i would have it looking like a skip in a week .
    I live in Mull and dont travel to mailand often so motorway does not realy matter.
    Trail rat yes agree they are hard to get and prices seem overly high .
    but reviews look good …and im not good at haggling so if i go for one
    I will be at a disadvantage price wise as looking for trade in for easiness .
    Not sure what to make of Clarksons review ,,,sounds as if I should buy it then sell it as quick as I can ;-))
    Arnold clarke seem a bit dear compared to other dealers ..but maby they are more reliable dont know ?

AS usual im still undecided but a Van type with 5 seats and plenty space sounds just so nice private sales sound better but hard to find here as no local paper to look at .
    Have this romantic dream of convincing the wife that i can carry all that is needed for complete comfort if i take her Camping ie 4 poster bed and huge fan and wine fridge and it will feel like a Hotel but cheaper .
    also enough free logs inside to heat the house for a year and plenty space for bikes .
    Tony M yes this is waht im looking for sortish and i suppose you will have to deal with problems with any car .

Im still looking

Trekster

My log hunting, biking mates are into the Pug Partners, sliding side door etc. Seem to be pretty popular here in Dumfries S west Scotland 🙂

konajim
    Free Member

trekster..get me a deal
    jim

islander

Thought about a Nissan Micra?

konajim
    Free Member

Bog off Alan ………. errrr anyone want to swap for a nissan Micra ?
    jim

tony_m
    Free Member

konajim – Member
    Tony M yes this is waht im looking for sortish and i suppose you will have to deal with problems with any car.

My sentiments exactly. As things are, I've got a vehicle that is just right for what I need, and provided nothing major goes wrong, I can accept having to fix the odd thing now and again, or replace stuff that wears out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What MPV’ is closed to new replies.