Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What Mitre saw from b&q?
  • lovewookie

Looking for something that will cut fairly accurately, better than my hand saw efforts anyway.

Just for general DIY stuff, fences, sheds, decking, the odd bit of internal stuff. Nothing needing to be pretty, but square would help.

Have a voucher for b&q, looking around £150 ish, but there are loads and I don’t know what’s good and what’s not

I think the 210mm disc ones seem common, but would I need a sliding one? And cordless, are they still powerful enough? I can see the advantage in cordless and moving it about as I only have an outdoor covered area to use it, so it’ll not be workshop based, and likely moved to where I need it when using, i.e. garden for decking etc. however, if the cordless ones are lacking power, then it may be better to run an extension.

Any ones to avoid? And recommended?

Thanks

:-)

nickjb
    Free Member

The evolution saws are a good all rounder. Won’t necessarily be accurate straight out the box but that can be adjusted and tuned. Worth getting a sliding one for more capacity. I wouldn’t bother with cordless. That’s more for site use where there isn’t power.

dyna-ti

Tip; Whichever hand you use to hold the saw handle, put the other one in your back pocket till the blade has stopped revolving ;)

lovewookie

For the evolution ones

https://www.diy.com/departments/evolution-1500w-240v-210mm-corded-sliding-mitre-saw-r210sms/0849713072184_BQ.prd

Is on offer, but is it worth the extra £50 to go for the pro model?

@dyna-ti
    .  Noted!

andrewh
    Free Member

Tip; Whichever hand you use to hold the saw handle, put the other one in your back pocket till the blade has stopped revolving 😉

Tip 2 – Table saws. If the piece of wood won’t quite fit through, but probably would if you take the guard off, go and borrow a bigger saw🙈

dyna-ti

TBH you’d probably be better off with something like this than anything by Evolution

https://www.diy.com/departments/makita-ls0816f-240v-216mm-8-5-slide-compound-mitre-saw-led-job-light-blade/0197050001610_BQ.prd

Shame you aren’t in Glasgow or close by or you could have my old Dewalt DW700 for free, it even has an industrial 80t blade on it that costs 1/2 the price of the current Dewalt model saw

I got a Kapex KS60 about 6 months ago, and the dewalt has sat under the bench taking up valuable sawdust space

jeffl

I got the Titan version of this saw from Screwfix. Exactly the same apart from the colour.

https://www.diy.com/departments/1500w-220-240v-210mm-corded-sliding-mitre-saw-mmis210s-b/5036581089849_BQ.prd

Works well for me. Did look at an Evolution one but only wanted cheap and cheerful and the multi material cutting wasn’t a selling point for me. Two things to check.

1. What is the max crosscut capacity you need. Bigger is better.

2. What size blade does it take, both diameter and bore size? From memory some of the Evolution blades are a funny size limiting blade choice.

lovewookie

Dyna-ti

I am in Glasgow :-)

I will take that off your hands please

dyna-ti

Result.

I’ll buzz you my address. Any day other than Sunday or Wednesday(looking after Mum(82) those days)

Northwind

No matter what you think the biggest size you’ll ever do is, get one a bit bigger, it’s only a matter of time.

Well, otoh, mine is a nonslidey and tbh, it does have some advantages, it’s obviously much smaller and it’s also that little bit more accurate/stable. For squarer stuff it’s been really good, I did a load of fence posts and scaffold poles and stuff like that a while back, and I just use the tracksaw for anything that’s too big for it. That said I borrow my brother’s big slider from time to time and it’s really much more useful overall as a single tool, I’d just rather have both my little mitre and also my cheap tracksaw.

dyna-ti

big slider

Sounds kinky

lovewookie

Lol. I’ll pick u dyna ti’s old one, I’m sure it’ll be great for what I need.

I’ve a circular saw and guide for bigger things, but I’m sure it’ll end up that there is a tool available to fill that little awkward gap in uses so will always be a n+1 :-)

Northwind

Come join the Cult Of The Tracksaw. The moment I used one I never wanted to use a normal circular saw ever again, and now I want to go door to door and tell people of the truth and the light and the coming of the saw

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.