Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • what meal to cook my wife on valentines day?
  • meikle_partans
    Free Member

i hate cooking and all i find when i look for recipes are ones that would require me to buy 40 different ingredients i will only use once. what should i cook my wife (she'll eat anything hur hur) on valentines day.

maximum of three 'special' ingredients that i will only use once. any suggestions?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Beans on Toast

followed by

Angel Delight

done

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Take away!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Beef Wellington, very impressive, very nice, give's her a taste for meat.

DT78
    Free Member

Keep it simple.

Lovely steak, sweet potato wedges with some spices, bag of salad (make sure it has rocket it in) with nice dressing. If your feeling flash make a sauce for the steak – I tend to go for blue cheese.

Less than 30mins effort. Job done.

Drac

Tell her to make it herself, if she loves you she'll do it.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

panfried scallops with a balsamic reduction and a nice salad to start(get them really fresh!)

id concur with beef,if wellingtons a bit complex do fillet steak panfried then finished in the oven and roast veg with a red wine reduction gravy

buy a dessert….like gu choc pots…oh and get a good bottle of wine(spend over a tenner)

good luck!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

To really top it off, send her out before you start cooking, when she returns be in the kitchen cooking the meal with nothing but an apron on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

some fava beans and a nice chianti…

Drac

Don't for god sake pan fry a fillet then kill it by then sticking it in the oven to soak up the juice from veggies. You may aswell curl one out over a good steak.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To really top it off, send her out before you start cooking, when she returns be in the kitchen cooking the meal with nothing but an apron on.

LOL – with some carefully-placed squirty cream?

I once did a video for my wife (then girlfriend) for her birthday and sent it to her at Uni – just me (naked), some helium balloons and my guitar and proceeded to sing happy birthday to her, complete with a flash at the end of course. She played it in front of all her housemates LOL!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

seperate pans?! and just seal the fillet before putting in the oven to get the desired color/firmness…simples!

GaryLake
    Free Member

If you're not the cooking sort, just do an M&S meal deal or something.

You'll be less stressed and there'll more time for wink wink nod nod 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cook whatever you want. You can ignore all the marketing guff.

Cook her something amazing on the third of March, just because you want to. That's far more romantic/impressive.

Join the revolution, people, boycott Valentine's Day!

Terrydactyl

Toad in the hole 😉

Drac

seperate pans?! and just seal the fillet before putting in the oven to get the desired color/firmness…simples!

Seal the fillet and serve.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Slow roated Lamb Shanks.

Stuff the shanks with slices of garlic cover and roast in a low oven (140C) on a bed of thickly sliced onions for about 4 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.

Serve with mashed potatoes and some veg prepared whatever way you know how.

Simple, inexpensive, and far more flavour than a fillet steak. Less fiddly than a beef wellington too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ignore the steak reccommendations. That's what the GUYS would like to eat.

Do this:

Avocado and prawn salad. – Sweet white wine.

Poached salmon in a cream and parsley sauce with new potatoes and green beans (not too heavy on the bulk). – Rose (as in "rose-ay").

White chocolate mousse and strawberries.

A decent chapmagne, properly chilled.

Don't forget some flowers for the table – not roses, everybody does that.

Chocolates and coffee (strength 5. After that lot, you're going to want to stay awake for while for the reward…) 😀

Nick

sealing = myth

Drac

It's what my wife likes to eat, she'd never touch an Avocado even done as a modern day prawn cocktail.

And Strawberries should be banned this time of the year as they're imported shite.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Drac – Member

It's what my wife likes to eat, she'd never touch an Avocado even done as a modern day prawn cocktail.

Actually, in a way you're right, that WAS a list of stereotypical assumptions.

It's best to figure out what you're wife's favourite food is that she doesn't get that often. Do that.

IRMC.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Alright then Woppit, Salmon Wellingtons!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fish Suppers Slippers… 🙂

meikle_partans
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

Slow roated Lamb Shanks.

i like this, it sounds good. also i find the word

shanks

quite amusing

cheers guys.

Stu_N

Just put royphenol in her G&T – guaranteed shag and no messing about with cooking. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL – with some carefully-placed squirty cream?

Or a rose (de-thorned) clenched between your butt cheeks!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

How about stuffing a chicken breast with goats cheese and some crushe garlic then warp it in parma ham! That is lush and VERY easy to make then bake in oven on 180 degrees for 30 mins, serve with some roasted parsnips or some swede and potato mash.
    as for puddings if she's like me ANY pudding will do 😉

lunge

Home made Carbonarra is aways good, you need nothing more than pasta, smoked bacon, eggs and parmesan cheese.

The proper stuff (made without cream) is a treat and completely different to the packet rubbish from the supermarkets.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh yeah the 'proper stuff' made with smoked bacon? ohhhh kayyyy?

lunge

Ok ok, you do need pancetta if you're doing it properly but as the lad doesn't want to buy anything specific it can work. It is the sauce, or lack of, that makes it "proper" in my eyes compared to the creamy stuff out of a jar.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry Lunge, it's not STW without being pedantic. Home made versions with a small amount of cream & parmesan mixed into the beaten eggs can also be very nice though.

stevenieve
    Free Member

Apparently sales of Dolmio Spag. bol. go through the roof at this time of year.

MrsMoo
    Free Member

Beef bourguignon & mashed potatos.. easy to make and not too many ingredients. There's a nice Delia recipe on the internet. Proper nice winter comfort food 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Proper Coq au Vin, make the stock with the carcass etc. Whole bottle of decent wine in there. It'll take you 3hrs plus, but my god will it be worth it.

Christ I need to get a mrs so it's worthwhile cooking properly again.

bruneep

spit roast?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bruneep, I don't have a mrs, but if you do, we could even have an arm wrestle to see who finishes where.

turboferret

I'm going to have a go at lobster thermidor 😀

It'll probably be a disaster, so fingers crossed 😆

Not sure about starter/pudding yet, might go for some scallops.

Cheers, Rich

yunki
    Free Member

fillet steak… sauteed sweet potato… creamed leeks.. winner

bruneep

Southern Yeti, I'm not sure what you mean?

Nick

Ok ok, you do need pancetta if you're doing it properly but as the lad doesn't want to buy anything specific it can work. It is the sauce, or lack of, that makes it "proper" in my eyes compared to the creamy stuff out of a jar.

Traditionally the proper stuff is made with Guanciale not pancetta isn't it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘what meal to cook my wife on valentines day?’ is closed to new replies.