Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What knee armour?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Looking at getting some knee armour, but have no idea what is good and what is not. Its for general riding really, just to have something there when I do come off. Needs to be hard, none of this neoprene crap!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

knee or knee & shin?

Have a look at IXS

godzilla
    Free Member

Dainese, just upgraded my old ones to the the Oak/hard and they are spot on.

brodie
    Free Member

Always been a fan of 661 Kyle Straits. Cheap and comfy.

dashed
    Free Member

Just replaced some ageing Kyle straits with nukeproof – similar price I think but much better fit and better coverage too. Maybe a fraction warmer but that’s prob just cos they are new, complete and not dropping to bits and full of holes!!!

ryanctj
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pros. Good protection, and well vented. The other day I finished a ride on a scorching day and didn’t realise I was still wearing them until I had driven out of the car park and was on my way home.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Check out the IXS Slope Style Evo pads, really comfy.

jedi

scott grenades or the new nukeproofs look good

Popocatapetl

Big + for the new Race Face Flank guards. Knee and and shin protection in D30, soft to the touch. comfortable and stay in place, plus they actually work. Tested extensively by me during my recent daily “Offs” (or should that be OOOfffs 😯 ) in the Alps. £65 notes on CRC for mine 😀

sparkyrhino

+1 for the new nukeproofs very comfy.and fit well.bye bye carpet burns

crotchrocket
    Free Member

just replaced some 661 Veggie knees (which were a bit shit)… and after riding/short testing loads – Fox Launch Pro knee & shin.

Just finished a full 2.5hr XC ride (as a test):
    Very secure, they wrap around your leg so are easy to fit with shoes on.
    labelled left & right
    hard knees, soft covered. soft shin pads. £45 online.

sam_underhill

Never had any before, but just got some nukeproofs. Very comfortable so far on a couple of hours mincing around the surrey hills. The Mrs got some as well as she was getting rubbed from her 661s. So far so good from her aswell. Sizing is odd though we ended up ordering s, m, l and sending the ones back that didn’t fit.

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve got Fox Launch Pro knee pads and they’re comfier than I was expecting, very happy with them.

davosaurusrex

I’m after a new set as well, will either be the Nukeproofs or the Fox Launch Pros, leaning towards the Foxs as they seem to be lighter/better vented so more usable more of the time.

Any pointers on sizing on either of these would be appreciated, I’m of a lanky persuasion, tall with skinny legs.

tjh1985
    Free Member

POC V2 pads.. after having others for years the POC stuff is a breath of fresh air :o)

stevemtb
    Free Member

Troy Lee ones, can’t remember the model.

Kyle Straits lining seemed to have worn very quickly and left my knees red raw after wearing them. TLs are comfier (and I never had any complaints to the 661s prior to the lining giving up) but don’t have as much protection. Haven’t crashed big onto them yet though.

Worth a look in my book.

jonnyrockymountain

G-Form?

emanuel
    Free Member

gforms are great,got RF flanks(good),661 evos(a bit worse)661 race,good but uncomfortable)ixs hammer(as comft as hard ones are going to be)
    I’d buy the gforms again,I’d not say that for any of the others.though there are none I regret buying.

Northwind

Always been very happy with my Kyle Straits- comfy, long-lasting, good protection, and good coverage- the side-pads are a definate advantage.

Fit is important though- I get on well with them but if they didn’t fit, I wouldn’t. Need to try first. Fox Launch is a very similiar pad (copy, tbh). Scott Grenade seems to share the same basic construction as the 661- same factory I suspect.

I wouldn’t wear a kneepad that didn’t protect the side of the knee tbh, too many top tube knocks etc. POC and G Form fall under that category for me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What knee armour?’ is closed to new replies.