Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • What is your average road ride speed?
  • Haze

16-18 depending on mood and distance

Tiger6791

15-17mph, always social, always with coffee and cake 🙂

pinkyponk
    Free Member

good grief, thats 5 mins of my life waisted

ac282

Lots of willy waving here. Doing a real 32 km/h door to door on a 50 km ride will be pretty hard unless you live on a TT course.

simondbarnes

My average moving speed is generally somewhere between 23-28kph. Slower in Winter, faster in Summer.

RealMan
    Free Member

😀

anto164
    Free Member

42mph* for me..

*from my mates house to the shop (About 1km), that was down a steep hill, Mates at the top, and the shop is at the bottom.

About 12mph back.. :/

druidh
    Free Member

TheDoctor – Member
    People here seem to get their speedo’s/gps’s from the same place they get their hopelessly optimistic bike scales from!

Really? I’ve not seen any outlandish claims.

On a solo hilly-ish ride of 80km or so, I average 24-28kph. My best time was doing the Etape Caledonia last year – 130km at 32kph. And I don’t consider myself particularly fast or fit. I regularly ride with folk faster – and a lot younger – than me.

IainGillam
    Free Member

There is a very easy and simple way of seeing how fast you are, buy a racing licence and enter a race!

Iain

Andyhilton
    Free Member

+1 to Mr Gillam.

crazy-legs

Really? I’ve not seen any outlandish claims.

I treat any claim above 20mph as outlandish.
    Normal club level roadie riding alone on a “normal” 50 ish miler say will be somewhere about 15-18mph. 20mph is proper quick unless you’re TTing in which case a sub 30 min 10mile is acheivable for most club level roadies.

Average race speed for a 2/3/4 cat race is usually somewhere in the region of 23-24mph (over a distance of about 50-65 miles). Average speeds for a crit race can be high 20’s or even low 30’s mph for one hour.

I’m quite lucky in that I’ve ridden with quite a few pros and unless they’re on proper team training runs, they’ll usually average about 17-18mph when out on their own as well. So when some IT middle manager claims he can average 22mph, I’m understandably sceptical.

druidh
    Free Member

What a load of boolocks – a GPS or even a simple cycle computer tells you how fast you are. Racing is completely irrelevant.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m quite lucky in that I’ve ridden with quite a few pros and unless they’re on proper team training runs, they’ll usually average about 17-18mph when out on their own as well. So when some IT middle manager claims he can average 22mph, I’m understandably sceptical.

Ex-IT “Middle Manager” raises his hand. Why is there this assumption that all the fastest riders “race”?

aracer
    Free Member

Can I wave mine? I’ve also mashed my legs at over 25mph for an hour. Well I suppose it was a bit less than an hour. 58 minutes 40 seconds to be precise. Have also mashed my legs at over 24.5mph for over 2 hours and almost 23mph for over 4 hours. Not that I’m keeping records or anything.

At the time I did those, I was probably averaging 20-21mph on most 20-60 mile rides. Once or twice rode 100 miles in training at an average of around 20mph. The pro’s “training” speeds aren’t really comparable, as they have the time to do all those long slow runs – us IT middle managers only ever have the time to do the sort of harder training they do on proper team training runs.

Average race speed for a 2/3/4 cat race is usually somewhere in the region of 23-24mph

And the rest – even the 3/4 races I mostly used to do were averaging over 25mph.

samuri
    Free Member

+1
    I ride road a lot and I *never* get passed with my 17-19mph average. I pass a lot of other people though.

Where are all these people churning out 25mph for an hour?
    Rubbish. I’ve done 10 mile TT’s where the fastest guy was doing 24mph and that was a national champion.

druidh
    Free Member

Why is there this assumption that all the fastest riders “race”?

Taff
    Free Member

17mph for 19.88 miles with man flu was my last effort. No idea on previous efforts but don’t think much better and certainly not over 20. The TTs around my way have riders only doing 23mph on a 10m course so don’t think I’m doing too bad

stuartie_c
    Free Member

My usual average when riding on my own is about 17 to 17.5mph. My usual circuits are all pretty hilly. I keep hoping that one day I’ll smash through the 20mph barrier but it’s beginning to look like a distant prospect.

I did a hundred miler recently with some club roadies and my average leapt up to 18.3. The others on the ride managed an average of 18.9 due to the fact that I got dropped 20 miles from home and had to fend for myself. Most of the ride was spent desperately trying to stay in touch with the group so I’m not sure how much I benefited from their slipstreaming effect. It was also a relatively flat route which might explain the increase.

Properly **** afterwards…

trickydisco
    Free Member

25.6mph

crit race which is easy to cruise in the bunch at those speeds.. On my own. I don’t think so 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

15-16 ish. I’m pretty slow. but I have hills and fat!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Druid and radiogear joint best trolls so far imo

devs
    Free Member

The only stat that matters is top speed. All the rest are like comparing willys in the showers to see who has the most average. I hear that roadies do this a lot.

Kevevs
    Free Member

97 mph. **** you bitches!

aracer
    Free Member

Where are all these people churning out 25mph for an hour?

All over the country. Every week through the year. Also most evenings somewhere in the country in the middle of summer. I’d have thought it unusual for any normal 25 not to have somebody go faster than 25mph.

I’ve done 10 mile TT’s where the fastest guy was doing 24mph and that was a national champion

That must have been a long way from what most of us know as a 10 mile TT course. I know all about rubbish courses round here, and it would be a rare week somebody didn’t do a 23 on one (the 25 course isn’t a huge amount better – it has a reasonable size hill you go up from both directions in the middle, even if the rest is fairly fast).

schrickvr6
    Free Member

13.7mph on a 43 mile canal run, but that’s partially offroad and on a 30 odd pound 160mm coil shocked FS with 2.35 High Rollers, that’s as close to a road ride as I get, I don’t have a road bike.

Haze

I don’t see why over 20mph is “outlandish” – if I can hit 18 over a 40/50 mile ride after just a few months then I’m sure more experienced/fitter/dedicated folk can manage far greater…

Kevevs
    Free Member

that is indescribably boring and ordinary schrickvr6 😉

Bez

At the moment I’m 16-17mph taking it easy and 19mph giving it some, but I’m only just getting back into it. Though I don’t think I’ll hit the 44 miles in under 2 hours* that I managed when I was less than half my current age and hadn’t started drinking, working or fathering 🙂

* on an MTB with slicks, too

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You’d think so but I neglected to mention I was being chased by rabid firebreathing psycobadgers for most of the journey and I was only using one pedal, so ner!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I do some hilly stuff. and I’m no super slim fitness guru. but I’ll do 15mph average on a 60 mile ride with a couple of big hills and the wind in the right way! I don’t take it that seriously, but I do like riding my bike!

druidh
    Free Member

I’m having a good ROFL at the “racers” who are suddenly finding out they’re not as fast as they thought they were, despite having a number pinned to them. That must be a real ego-spoiler.

Maybe they should try some Sportives instead and find out who the fast folk really are?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t see why over 20mph is “outlandish”

Just like light bikes are outlandish to those people who don’t own one (and think their bike is well specced because it has a smattering of XTR and CrossMax wheels), 20mph is outlandish to people who think they’re fit, but haven’t ever actually trained properly for road riding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

DRuidh I’m not fit just now but but was leaving you behind on FRiday night.

When I was fit I could do 20mph solo on a training ride, I was racing at the time.

Ah sod it I CBA biting any more.

radoggair
    Free Member

agree with aracer. 20mph average is a barrier for alot of people but for some people who are lucky enough to be fit and fast then its not really that much of a barrier.

Maybe we should invent a STW 100 sportive and let everyone come along ( hell , it could even be free of charge ).
    Then we could all sit down at the end and talk average speeds honestly without willy waving but with facts

RealMan
    Free Member

Druid and radiogear joint best trolls so far imo

I’m insulted. All those tags from posting one letter and I don’t get a mention?

Kevevs
    Free Member

no one cares realman. no one cares.

Oggles
    Free Member

There’s a difference between being a troll and a dork.

aracer
    Free Member

Now km for distance with ascent in ft is a major faux pas.

I tend to quote distance in miles and ascent in m if that’s any better?

Bez

Yes, distance in miles and beer in pints and everything else in the world in metric.

On a 3 hour trailquest I can generally maintain 30km/h on the road, barring hills and headwinds, so that’s 18.6mph on a hardtail mountain bike.
    I could probably average 20mph+ on a road bike for 3 hours on a flattish course.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What is your average road ride speed?’ is closed to new replies.