Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What is there to do in Liverpool?
  • dickydutch

Im in Liverpool for a conference next monday and tuesday night.
    Not too arsed about getting "arseholed" with work colleagues and schmoozing with potential clients after the conference. So, other than pubs and clubs, what/where should I look at doing/going on monday and tuesday evening? Doubt I'll have room to take a bike.

mos

Stealing

geoffj

So, other than pubs and clubs, what/where should I look at doing/going on monday and tuesday evening?

Getting on a train and going to Manchester

(no really!)

samuri
    Free Member

Doubt I'll have room to take a bike

Probably a good thing, you'd certainly not come back with it.

Try down the pierhead. It's quite nice down there although I expect the museums and the like will be closed in the evenings. There's a half decent couple of museums in Liverpool, couple of good theatres by lime street station. Some good architecture just North of Chinatown on the way up to Toxteth. Two cathederals if you like that sort of thing.

Go on a ferry trip up and down the Mersey?

highclimber
    Free Member

I'll second the train to Manchester! much more to do without the worry of angry scousers trying for a fight.

dickydutch

Is it really that bad? I'd assumed it was all a bit over hyped the 'angry scouser' thing!?

highclimber
    Free Member

I went for a meal at the Red Hot Buffet on sat night (v. Good BTW) was waiting for my hot and sour noodls to be cooked and a pissed scouser came up to the chef and demanded his noodles get wokked. he waslike 'I don't want non of that f**kin' shite', pointing to the soy and oyster sauce! totally uncalled for and utterly innapropriate considering there were kids near by!

timc
    Free Member

Ignore those idiots! Liverpool is great, ill come back to you after the match 🙂

timc
    Free Member

Sadly there is always a minority as highclimber has pointed out!

Garry_Lager

The Anthony Gormley exhibition on Crosby beach is really good IMO – easy enough to get to, just a 15 min train ride out of central, there's not a whole lot else to do there mind, but you can get back to the city quick enough.
    There's loads of old boozers in Liverpool that are nice for a civilised pint, so you could go for a long walk and see the city that way. I'm well out of date – the Philharmonic on Hope St used to be good, the Baltic Fleet near the Albert Dock is an old sailor's alehouse that is worth a visit. Someone local will be able to give you better recommendations.

j_me
    Free Member

Kerry Katona – although Im not recommending it.

dickydutch

j_me – you talk from experience?!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'll second the train to Manchester! much more to do without the worry of angry scousers trying for a fight.

Balls, manchester has a few extra museums but it's a horrible city. I lived half way between the two for 27 years and did everything I could to stay away from manchester. The "angry scouser" stereotype is utter tripe (unless you catch them on a match day after beers, then its safer to stay indoors lol) and it's not as bad as made out – yes it has some crime issues but no worse than anywhere else. The shopping, should you like it, is nice enough and fairly compact. There are loads of nice places to eat, nice views, nice buildings.

Unlike manchester which is a fairly dismal concrete monstrosity where 2 miutes from the main shopping areas and you're in drug central and local pubs for local people. The only time I've been kidknapped was in manchester. The only time I've walked for hours and not found a club/pub I wanted to actually go into was in manchester and the only time I've seen someone using a crispy duck pancake as a knapkin was in manchester 🙂

Seriously, neither are that bad but I was kidknapped in manchester and it's not a nice place to walk around, and the locals are really nowhere near as friendly as liverpool. You won't find your bike when you return if you lock it outside in either.

donsimon
    Free Member
    stonemonkey
    Free Member

plenty to do, lots of nice places to eat in town centre, try around hope street area or liverpool one, if you want to get out of the centre may recommend a trip down Allerton Rd lots of bars and resturants and its quite posh so nice and friendly or if you up for a more bohemiam choice try lark Lane in Aigbuth. How about the Superlambanna tour , a wander round the Albert dock, walk round and look at the architeture or maybe a trip to the theartre, or a gig or comedy club.

Crime is no different to any other city and scousers are far more friendly than most other place.

Enjoy

geoffj

The only time I've been kidknapped was in manchester.

That's what we do to wooly backs 🙂

project
    Free Member

Albert dock the riverside towards otterspool,the wirral on the ferry,or train or even car, china town, sefton park,watch the re runs of police camera action,in real life, liverpool one the shopping centre.

Marin
    Free Member

Go catch a film at The Fact Cinema, very chilled out nice bar/cafe. Quite a few nice restaurants very close by. The Italian Club is nice and some good chinese/noodle type places.

The iron men at Crosby, Anthony Gormley(?), is worth a look, decent beach to walk on if the sun stays out. Wander round the Albert Dock and 2nd The Baltic Fleet a proper old style boozer.

Lots of comedy clubs on at the moment.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Unless you go looking for it, you will never and I mean never have trouble in Liverpool city centre. The angry scouser myth is just that. Manchester on the other hand is a different matter with gangs of angry asians looking for a fight! Racist? Maybe but true! Those with no experience of it please feel free to shoot me down in flames? Better than being shot for real.

MrOvershoot

RaveyDavey – Member

Unless you go looking for it, you will never and I mean never have trouble in Liverpool city centre. The angry scouser myth is just that. Manchester on the other hand is a different matter with gangs of angry asians looking for a fight! Racist? Maybe but true! Those with no experience of it please feel free to shoot me down in flames? Better than being shot for real.

Just about spot on I would say, as an outsider (Bristol exile) never had a bad night out in Liverpool in 15 years but 2 out of 3 trips out in Manchester have had mouthy asian lads spoil the night 🙁 the only one that was nice was the Velodrome for a revolution night.

highclimber
    Free Member

the angry scouser 'myth' is not a myth. How can it be when I witnessed it this saturday and have witnessed it on a number of occasions when there [out on a night out]? Each city has its problem areas, I agree, but Liverpudlians are a little bit more angry than Mancs and RaveyDavey – that was a racist comment, hang your head in shame!

surfer
    Free Member

Is it really that bad? I'd assumed it was all a bit over hyped the 'angry scouser' thing!?

Of course its not that bad but its more fun for the lazy to keep on spouting the same old stereotypes.

Oh and highclimber saw one so it must be true.

highclimber
    Free Member

more than one, on more than one occasion

surfer
    Free Member

There you go, its become a fact, fact.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

RaveyDavey – that was a racist comment, hang your head in shame

It's hung in shame now!! Even though I know I'm right! You will statistically have more trouble with the 'nice' mancs than the 'aggressive' 'angry' scousers. The problem is that most people don't know what a scouser is! I'm from north wales but if i go south of wrexham i get called a scouser. so the lads from liverpool get the blame for a massive area.

highclimber
    Free Member

Anyone with a Liverpudlian accent and a bee in his bonnet is a Scouser in my eyes!

surfer
    Free Member

nyone with a Liverpudlian accent and a bee in his bonnet is a Scouser in my eyes!

I have the first but not the second. Does that mean I am not a Scouser in your eyes, wheras most of my colleagues and friends consider me a "Scouser"

Maybe they are only angry around you which may say more about you than them.

Garry_Lager

more than one, on more than one occasion

It's amazing what you can find, if you're prepared to look hard enough for it.

Please tell us you don't actually live in Liverpool – it would be wretched for you if all your days were spent living under siege from the angry people.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I have a lot of scouse friends tho from watchin the footy and it makes e laugh hw easily they have other people off!! While you are busy moaning about their accents and flairs they are havin it off with your wallets and rolexs. Oh yeah and giving your bored wives one too!! All the girls love a wide boy!!! Northern boys rule!! Cockney puffs LMFAO

samuri
    Free Member

Liverpool city centre has improved massively in the last 20 years by the way. It really did used to be appalling. Serious knife and bottle fights going on constantly. I've watched men getting smashed bottles right in the middle of their faces on week nights, I've seen people pulling out machetes and using them and then carrying on drinking in bars.

But then it all changed, the gangs moved out to more prosperous areas (for example, Manchester), the police moved in in force (sic) and pushed out a lot of the nastier elements. No more stabbing people up the arses, no more hells angels bouncers, no more burning people in the street. It all happened really quickly and it turned into an alright place to go out drinking at night. The open air bars made a big difference too.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

samuri

+ 10

1) Drink
    2) Steal car wheels
    3) Catch STD's

coffeeking
    Free Member

highclimber – I've no idea where you're seeing this or how you're judging it. Seriously the last thing I'd say about scousers is "angry". There's the odd dodgy pubs but most people who actually know the area know which ones to avoid, pretty much like any city. Spent the best part of a decade going out around liverpool and only saw fights a few times, 2 of them started by drunk women and finished by their blokes who got thrown into the street (literally through the door by the doormen) and instantly carted off by the police, in the time it took me to order a pint. Of course I know other people who have had unpleasant experiences but not any more than me and I can't extrapolate from that. It's a really chilled out place to go out on a friday or saturday night, if you want to find a fight you could, but it's hardly a required/innevitable part of a night out.
    I know someone who runs a club in Manchester, I've heard a few stories from there, but again I don't think it's that bad – as usual it's just people saying places are terrible based on the odd thing they've seen and a stereotype. People said Glasgow was dodgy on a night out, and indeed the first night I drove through I saw 3 fights in back streets, but over the last 2 years I've seen none. Zero. Zip. Blown out of all proportion.

timc
    Free Member

Typical Liverpool bashing by people who obviously know very little about the place, we are used to it anyway…

Anyone who thinks Liverpool is more violent than any other city obviously hasnt been around the country enough, infact from my vast travels I tend to find Towns worse than Cities!

Anyway, as your hear Monday & Tuesday I presume your here in the evenings, most things listed above are good, Liverpool 1, hope street, albert dock, fact etc

I live in Crosby, personally dont think the Gormley Statues are worth the effort from City Centre, but I guess i take the beach for granted!

Any help needed, just shout & i hope you enjoy!

donsimon
    Free Member

Chester city centre is probably more aggressive than Liverpool city centre!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My stomping ground was Liverpool being brought up in Crosby, it was a 20 minute train ride away and £5 back in a taxi, a few years ago. We spent a lot of time in the pubs & clubs in Liverpool from the age of 15 to about 22 and whilst the place is full of slappers and pissed scoucers, we always had a great time, nobody ever got mugged, knifed, shot, abused, punched, kicked, legged, spat at, had hair pulled, or been called names on any of the occasions we went into Liverpool on a night out, and there were lots, believe me.

Liverpool is a great place filled with friendly scousers.

there's **** all to do there though other than shop, drink, eat, look at the Mersey, go round the Albert Dock go on a ferry, look at a couple of cathedrals, wander round a museum…look for penguins (if they're still there)

I think Williamson's tunnels might be interesting though.

samuri
    Free Member

I live in Crosby, personally dont think the Gormley Statues are worth the effort from City Centre, but I guess i take the beach for granted!

I'd disagree, especially at the moment as the sun goes down you can get some pretty spectacular sunsets across the beach. Liverpool can look quite good from that angle too.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Chester city centre is probably more aggressive than Liverpool city centre!

I'd say that many of the local outlying towns (thinking St Helens, Warrington etc) are probably worse than Liverpool for alcohol related violence etc.

Probably also important to say that just because someone has a fight in Liverpool doesn't mean that they are a scouser.

timc
    Free Member

Sunsets are for old people! haha!

Marin
    Free Member

Samuri the top picture is looking over to the Wirral isn't it?

Don't go to Birkenhead now that is a real shat hole. And yes I can judge it as i was born and raised there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What is there to do in Liverpool?’ is closed to new replies.