• This topic has 101 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • What have you done this year?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

good stories y’all.

freeagent
    Free Member

in 2014 I…

Rode my bike(s) more than any previous years, should top out at around 2400 miles.
    Cycled from London to Llanberis, then climbed Snowdon. This was in memory of my brother who had been planning to do this but sadly passed away in Oct 2013.
    Did some really nice training rides for the above including some nice days in Northern France (around Mont St Michel)

Enjoyed watching my 2 daughters grow another year older (now 4 and 7)

aracer
    Free Member

Took up climbing again. Mainly just at the indoor wall, but now own a rope and have made it outside a couple of times. Have also taken the kids climbing on real rock. Given I’ve been injured most of the year, the only racing I’ve done was a few orienteering events at the start of the year (I was unfit and rubbish) and I’ve hardly done any riding this year (didn’t even bother taking a bike or a uni on most of our holidays when I normally would), that is by a long way the highlight of the year for me. I’ve even got a tiny bit of a social life out of it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Riding wise, it feels like only an OK year. Not sure why.

Lots and lots of Peaks riding. Some wonderful summer evening rides. Didn’t manage so many lieu days this year, so less mid-week cheeky epics than last.

Only 1 trip to the Lakes, and the weather was too crap to go up high, but the lower stuff was still fun.

Did the Transprovence tour which was absolutely stonking, including a starring role in this:-
    [video]http://vimeo.com/100403907[/video]
    Then went back and worked on the race as timing monkey, which was epic in a very different way.

Then some truly shockingly filthy rides over the last few weeks!

Off bike?
    Turned 40 😕
    Failed to do much work on the house.
    Drove an Aston, a Ferrari and a Lambo
    Failed to get up Scafell in a storm, on my own.(got up to Mickledore and couldn’t even crouch down without getting blown over)
    Did the Gable girdle on a lovely day.
    Honister Via Ferrata (extreme, dood!)
    Did some more bivvying.
    Visited the B29 crash site on Bleaklow. Rather spooky/sinister.

aP
    Free Member

Rode Paris-Roubaix (velodrome to the Arenberg to the velodrome)
    Commissaired two London League CX races
    Marshalled a Sporting TT
    Marshalled a Surrey League RR
    Lost a £500m bid
    Bought a Bongo
    Rode Whinlatter & CyB
    Solo’d 12hr at Bontrager 24/12
    Missed riding pairs at Brighton Big Dog after having emergency eye surgery to prevent a detached retina the week before
    Rode the Prosecco Cycling – it didn’t rain this year
    Rode mixed pairs at Bristol Oktoberfest
    Rode the Banjo XC night race
    Discovered the Bongo needed major surgery

stealthcat

Given I had a week to myself in the summer, I thought I’d visit my elderly aunt & uncle in Dorset. Then I decided to make in into a cycle tour – train down there, and ride back over the rest of the week, stopping to see my brother on the way. OK; that’s Weymouth to Sheffield, via Hungerford; now let’s make it a bit more scenic… Youth hostels at Stow on the Wold, Long Mynd and Dovedale look good.
    A week of good weather, no mechanicals, a really enjoyable couple of hours riding with my brother, and back home in time for the TDF in Sheffield – though I did get some strange looks for turning up to watch the Tour on a Ti road bike with a rack on (but how else was I supposed to carry the picnic?!)

Had the old singlespeed out a couple of times, lost a stone and a half, and rode almost every week, usually road and mtb.

Not a bad year…

timnwild

Loads!

Got a new bike – first full suss – Giant Trance 1 – love it
    Rode the Surrey Hills
    Rode Whinlatter
    Rode BPW, Afan, The Gap and Crickhowell
    Started commuting on a bike in London and noticed the difference in my legs on the weekends
    Brought a couple of neighbours along and recruited them into MTB
    Took my wife on her first MTB ride – she gets it now

It’s been a good year.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

my wife gave birth to twins…

do anything else, no not really had the time? shocker. but did climb a F7A this year.

richpips
    Free Member

Not done as many miles as last year.

Though the quality has been high. Highland Trail finisher is my personal highlight.

The best thing though has been riding with my son. There’s not much if anything that he can’t do now on a bike that I can.

We’re looking forward to next year, we’ve got some big stuff planned.

Stevet1
    Free Member

All good stuff above but stand back now and get ready to worship for I won (okay as part of a team) the British computing society “IT Project of the year”
    Thank you, thanks but really no I couldn’t- I’m married.

DaRC_L

Cycling wise an average year mostly due to building my bike / gym cave, sacrificing the late summer / early autumn riding for it. The wet winter & spring had meant I didn’t ride enough so regaining fitness was hard (at my age – grumble) which is the reason for the bike/gym cave.

Still my turbo trainer & my sons weight bench will arrive for Xmas 😀 and the focus is on having a good year next year.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not blowing my own trumpet – but I’ve woven gold out of thin air, metaphorically of course.

By the start of the year I had finally reached the point where I was as happy on the bike as I was before a nasty crash in 2009, I know it’s a huge amount of time – but it was a big thing for me.

Come spring I started the evening ride schedule I’d always promised I’d follow 10 years ago and actually stuck to it.

In June my wife and I welcomed our beautiful daughter into the world I’m my own worst critic, but I think I’ve done a half decent job of it so far. Nappies are easy, feed times a joy and ‘days with Daddy’ something I relish.

I some how managed, partly through luck, and partly through judgment to have our family holiday in Morzine coincide with my mates being there and took a days riding with them before returning to my family for the rest of the week – talk about cake and eat it!! I also took my 8 year for a few runs down Chavannes and Pleney later in the week.

My summer schedule stuck all the way up to the end of BST even when sometimes I was riding after a full day in work and 3 hours sleep. In fact I rode a pretty decent couple of hours one evening when I’d slept for about 18 hours in the past 7 days. I crashed gently, and almost stayed there for the night ha ha.

RepackRider
    Free Member

Got the new Breezer “Repack” 650B.

Got a new Transition Klunker, one-speed, coaster brake.

Got my book on mountain biking published.

oldejeans
    Free Member

some Firsts that stay in the memory for me this year:

My first bouncy bike
    My first Snowdon trip with a bike on a stunning cloudless Good Friday
    My first ever race of any kind at the Innerleithen UKGE
    My first trips to Glentress, Coed Y Brenin and Sherwood Pines as a family
    My first Alps trip
    My first bike-related broken bone after a taxi pulled out on me during a commute
    My first ride 18 days after sustaining the broken collarbone

colin9

I enjoyed your book Charlie. Some great photos too.

cheers_drive

Got my dream Sunday best road bike.
    Rode over 3500 miles – not much compared to some on here but over 50% more than my previous best.
    Rediscovered my MTB mojo.
    Got my best mate in to biking.
    Unfortunately my Atrial Fibrillation has got much worse this year which means I’m having to take it very easy for the time being.

Non biking wise:
    Came off the antidepressants and I’m feeling better than I had for years.
    Started my own consultancy business that is far exceeding expectations.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Some inspiring stuff here, personal challenges faced. Great photo’s @richpips, my three daughters left home years ago pics like that bring back those good times. OP I get nervous just watching that ridge line walking and the leap of faith

For me not so much, post my knee injury in Dec 2012 the highlights of 2014 where to ski for the first time since injury, never have I been so happy to make a few dodgy skidded turns on a red run, looking forward to being back on the snow in 10 days. A few longer rides 2-3 hours for the first time in 18 months also. New job/location has taken lots of time. Decree Absolute means I can look forward not back. 2105 should be a good one.

adsh
    Free Member

Lost my best mate to cancer
    Spending more time with my family
    Gave up booze completely
    Moved to 29er and love it
    Completed Manx 100
    Top 10 in my first 12hr race
    Started proper winter training plan – spending less time with my family…..

Kryton57

My 2014 has been very confused.

I’ve got too distracted away from Road race series that I failed to gain any real value from them;

I didn’t ride my MTB enough, and find myself in the doldrums now because of it.

I spent so much time on the Turbo I’ve worn a groove in its roller, but to what end?

I really want some guidance for 2015, as I have the ultimate training plan that excludes any enjoyment whatsoever.

*sulks*

stealthcat

Should perhaps add…

Got my nephew his first bike with pedals last week, and he was pedalling properly by the time he got to school. Subsequently saw complaints about his speed on my sister-in-law’s Facebook page – apparently he’d nearly taken out 2 or 3 of her friends that day!

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Best year of my life!
    64 model,life definitely gets better at 50 🙂
    Competed in 8 races in my first whole year of MTB
    Dyfi Enduro long day 🙄
    CYB Enduro 1st in class
    Penmachno Enduro 4th in class
    UKGE Afan last but 2 🙁 in class but i’ll be back next year 😀
    Irish Gravity Enduro 7th in class,brilliant time over there 8)
    2x one industries and 1 x fusion.
    Snowdon Llanberis pass on the bike and lost my bloomin garmin 🙄

Roll on 2015 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ pretty good for your first year, well done.

edward2000
    Free Member

I got myself a new job which I promised myself at the start of a new year – I hated my old one.
    I went to Whistler for 2 weeks and actually did cry.
    I raced some of the SES stages.
    I brought 2 new bikes.
    I took the girl to Sri Lanka, which meant that I had visited Asia, which meant that I had been to every continent on Earth.
    I turned 30.

alwillis

Sold the ageing t4 for a sensible diesel estate
    Bought a house (well flat but it’s ours all the same)
    Quit my job and loved having 6 weeks commitment free
    Got a job in the local bike shop which was great as a fill in but could never be permanent
    Did my first half ironman
    Did my first full ironman, finishing by chance with my gf
    Proposed to said girlfriend a few weeks later
    Got a job by chance that I saw on a triathlon forum which is much more permanent and has real progression

Loving my new job, trying to skim over the stressful parts of wedding planning, really enjoying being out on the bike and running at the moment in a steady but carefree kind of way, roll on next year!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Started the yeah in an unhappy relationship, looks like I’ll be finishing it in a happy one.
    Got promoted and had a pay rise, my bit of the company got bought so job security is, for now, a bit better – plus I now work in the city I live in so save 100 quid a month on commuting.
    Bought a house
    Had a good year of riding, ridden some amazing bikes in amazing places. Nico, fab, barns and loic to name a few, but the best rides were with my mates from uni a month ago (I’m in munrobikers photo!).
    came 6th at strathpuffer in a quad which is probably my most ‘impressive’ race result – I don’t really race much, but I’ve got some ace races lined up for 2015…

singletrackmind

Blimey , some high quality entries above.
    After a dismal 2013 ( hand injury in May = no riding for 3 mths )
    2014 brought
    1st century on a road bike
    Rode the London olympic Velodrome
    Bought a 29er and raced it at 12:12
    Rode up Le Tourmalet, Hautacam, Souloir and Obisque climbs
    Dug trails at QECP, worked on race courses at QECP

Work wise , rubbish .- no change
    Home wise , no change

next year , early season road bike trip to Baleraics or Canaries , Alps and Bonty 24.12

Andy-R

Spent more time in Greece this year than we’ve managed to do in the nine years since we bought our house – we were there for twenty weeks his year, which was absolutely wonderful. The fact that we’re almost broke because of it is another matter, of course….
    I managed to ride stuff out there that I’ve only looked at for the last few years, thinking “that has to be rideable but it’s beyond me” – it must have been “new bike syndrome”.
    Tried flat pedals for the first time in twenty years and I’ll try to get more proficient with them, my shins will only thank me.

Apart from that, we have two more grandchildren (twins) but, to balance that out, our parents (my Mum especially) seem to be going downhill from month to month. The difference I saw after ten weeks’ absence was immense – still, she’s 97, so to be expected I suppose. Doesn’t make it any easier though.

Tracey

Got a puppy
    Waved Abigale off to start her first Alps trip without me, dont think I could have done that at 16 years old
    Had my best Alps trip ever
    Smashed a carbon frame and a helmet
    Ordered a camper van
    Booked the first bit of next years Alps trip

jimw
    Free Member

Working from home so planned to get out on my bikes much more regularly, even if for only 3/4hour breaks, it didn’t happen, must try harder
    Bought three second hand frames (all 26″) built three bikes, kept two of them.
    Sold two frames
    Best organised event of the year: Heaven of the South
    First year for ages didn’t do Mountain Mayhem, didn’t miss it.
    Survived a week in the Alps on one of the above bikes-we were very lucky with the weather and had only one washout day, the rest was good, as was the riding and the company.
    Less than a week back from the Alps, managed to chuck myself off (a29er) and do my shoulder yet again, advised to keep off mountain biking for two months-end of July till mid September (an old git heals slowly)
    Still getting my head round injuring myself yet again, almost back to my normal riding style. I find this takes longer as I get older.
    Did spectacularly badly as a team in Oktoberfest, but had a good day out personally as first event after getting back off road, cycling at 8/10ths,managed to gain confidence on each lap.
    Not as fit as I was last year, aim to do better next year
    Overall had a lot of laughs with a good bunch of mates mucking about on bikes

debaser

Lots of fun in the mountains this year, mostly without a bike.

Winter skills course with Glenmore Lodge as a Christmas gift kicked things off nicely.

Full winter traverse of Liathach with a couple of mountaineering friends shortly afterwards was incredible. Standing on top of the Am Fasarinen pinnacles was an breathtaking experience.

Beinn Eighe traverse the next day made for a brilliant winter mountaineering baptism of snow and ice.

Grabbed a few enjoyable days being rubbish at snowboarding when it refrained from blowing a hoolie at Cairngorm for long enough to dig out the train.

Took a couple more trips up to Glenmore later in the year as a mock student for Mountaineering Instructor Award assessments for some scrambling, climbing and navigation practice. If anyone wants to improve skills in the hills, climbing, kayaking, biking I would definitely recommend checking out their courses. The bar is good too.

Started indoor climbing at the beginning of the year and was soon trying to get outdoors as possible with a friend who was looking for a new partner. Lots of trips to Aberdour, Limekilns and Trapprain Law and my first tentative and terrifying trad leads.

Did some climbing on the ‘Beginners Slabs’ in Torridon and discovered that when a climbing guidebook says ‘not many gear placements’ it means there is absolutely nothing! The terror of my first uncomfortably runout pitch was swiftly followed by ms debaser’s first roped outdoor climb. She enjoyed it and we’re still speaking, which is a bonus 🙂

Three weeks off in the driest September since records began gave plenty of opportunity for wandering, camping, scrambling and climbing the Northwest highlands including my first excursions into the Cuillin proper… Wow!

Also made my first, and most definitely not last, trip up Stac Pollaidh. An incredible little hill I could happily spend hours playing on.

Not much biking of note aside from some great exploring around Inschriach in spring and finally doing the Gypsy Glen ride in the Tweed valley. The odd ride in the Pentlands and up in Moray too.

Aside from that… work, beer, gigs and just bought a house with better riding from the front door. Roll on the end of the house renovations so I can go out to play again.

matt_outandabout

Moved house.
    I’m still here.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Was the fastest person (according to strava) since July down a trail in whistler 8th overall and the highest non sponsored rider.

ansell007
    Free Member

Some good stuff and some great pics and vids…Out of interest what video software do you use as I use movie maker but crashes my machine quite often and no idea why

stewartc
    Free Member

Two new jobs, last one seems to fit me.
    Some good riding, including a trip to Bali.
    Think I have finally dialled in my CC DBAir…I think

Susie
    Free Member

Great videos OP and Munro Biker. Not got a video but have done the following:-

– Handed notice in to go travelling, they offered me a 12 month sabbatical, so I took it.
    – Finished work at the end of June and was due to go to Morzine for a month the week after, however, 2 days later my partner and his mate collided on a ride in the Peaks, his mate ended up in a head injury unit for 2 weeks and Sean ended up with a broken thumb, so Morzine cancelled.
    – Went away to Wales and the Lakes.
    – Once the plaster was off had a couple of bike packing trips to the Peak District and Cannock Chase
    – Sold the house and the day after completion flew to Vancouver.
    – Cycled from Vancouver to Portland via Vancouver Island, the Pacific Coast Highway, Olympia and part of the Seattle to Portland cycle route.
    – Drove from Portland to Astoria and then through Oregon down the Pacific Coast Highway to Coos Bay where we dropped the car off and continued by bike over the Californian border.
    – Got fed up with the constant head wind and wet weather, so got another car and drove to San Francisco to do some mountain biking.
    – Rode Mount Tamalpais, Repack Road, met Joe Breeze, rode over Golden Gate bridge, Camp Tamarancho and China Camp and visited Alcatraz.
    – Flew from San Francisco to Auckland. We have been in New Zealand for 5 weeks and I’ve caught up with an old friend who I hadn’t seen for years and met her husband for the first time, kayaked and paddle boarded for the first time, visited Hobbiton and loved it, despite being bored stiff during Fellowship of the Ring and not watching any of the other films. Have also done White Water Rafting, been to lots of beaches, hired a fat bike and ridden at Rotorua, which is great.

RustySpanner

New Job.
    House rebuilt.
    Got married.

One was the best thing I’ve done, one I’d avoid and the jury’s out on the other one.

🙂

mjsmke

Worked my ass off.
    Successfully split our honey bee colony.
    Sorted out the algae problem in the pond.
    Did some decorating.
    Did the 24/12.
    Crashed at the 24/12.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ansell- I did mine in Lightworks. I’ve never made a video before but the basic Windows Movie Maker didn’t do what I wanted, and as I’m new to it I didn’t want to pay. Lightworks was fairly easy to figure out.

benman
    Free Member

Not a bad year…

Moved to a nice new warm house
    Rode the Trans-Cambrian way with my Dad
    Finally visited Rome and Pompeii
    Lost my Grandad :o(
    Visited the Great Wall of China and Beijing
    Got into photography
    Made the effort to ride somewhere different every weekend

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My other half went back to College in August so I’ve mostly worked this year to help pay for that. As well as the day job (gardener), I’ve done a load of work for Bike Track People. We sell and hire out portable bike trails. We have a north shore style set up, a portable pump track and smaller features, see saws, kickers, skinnies etc. Had jobs from Thurso to London and everywhere in between. Lots of work in Yorkshire and a week in Glasgow during the Games. The week in Glasgow was especially rewarding as a lot of the kids don’t get the chance to get out on bikes much if at all. I managed one weekend biking at Easter down in the Lakes which was immense, apart from that it’s mostly been racing kids and teachers on the pumptrack.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘What have you done this year?’ is closed to new replies.