Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What has nearly run into you on your ride?
  • cardo

Last night it was a deer that surprised me… and decided luckily to run alongside me instead of over me.. I don’t know who jumped more me or the deer, it was darn close tho’

camo16
    Free Member

Taxi. U-turned right in front of me.

Apparently, it was my fault – I wasn’t ‘colourful’ enough. 😯

Sorry, no wildlife – there’s not too much of that in central Liverpool.*

* but whilst walking to the office I almost got pwned by a flying pigeon.

fenred
    Free Member

I seem to attract “suicide squirrel” quite a lot. Not sure if it’s the same little bastid that follows me around or whether they all just have a thing for trying to sprint through my spokes when I’m least expecting it….

yunki
    Free Member

mostly mice and voles and other small rodents..

piemonster

Ran over a badger once, it was fine btw. If a little annoyed.l

Straight over its head.

wolly
    Free Member

Been waiting for this moment,

(Not my picture)

SaxonRider

Sick! (@ rabbit pic, above)

I got nailed by a German Pointer and knocked off on my commute a few months ago.

Sadly no pics as the dog was fine. I, however, had very sore knees and elbows, torn trousers, and broken lights.

psychle
    Free Member

Hit a kangaroo once (well, it jumped off a bank into me, so technically it hit me!) Suprised the shit out of me, lucky it wasn’t a big red, just a smaller wallaby sized beasty!

I got chased by a pheasant once.
    I was pushing across a horse field and it was walking alongside me, about 3m away.
    I guessed it was used to being fed by the horsey people and was after food.
    Once I got to a track and got back on the bike again, it started chasing after me and pecking at my feet.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Ran into a pack of Baboons on my last overseas ride. Diddling along in the upper reaches of the Drakensberg, came round a corner and a pile of them were sitting on the path. So who has right of way there then – they had big teeth and lots of muscle to back up the attitude that they were on home turf – decided to p**s of back the way I had come.

Does that count?

andytherocketeer

a family of 3 wild boar

several red kites (if flying a few feet above my head counts as “nearly running in to me”?)

oh and someone’s pet dog – seriously close that one, with maybe millimetres between paws and nobby nics (actually it was more “dog” than dog iykwim – my old cat was larger).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve run over a rat and a rabbit. But the most dramatic was a mate who was riding about 10m in front of me when a stag ran perpendicular across the trail. Didn’t actually hit him but was close enough to freak him out and cause an off.

fasthaggis

Students

chriswilk
    Free Member

mate hit a sheep once when they were both heading for the same bridge. Sheep ended up over the wall and down in the stream.

wwaswas

A squirrel fell out of a tree and landed on my head once.

Then looked at me like it was my fault.

ahwiles
    Free Member

2 days ago: 2 squirrels fell out of the tree above me*, and hit the ground running.

(*fighting or ****ing, i don’t know)

this morning: a weasel chasing his breakfast**

(**a rabbit)

psychle
    Free Member

Nothings beating this guy though!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

kayak23

A badger. Scared the bejesus out of us all as it bounced off the back wheel.

My sister got hit in the head by a swooping bird on her paper round when she were a kid. Nasty cut too.

More recently, I got a fly in my eye.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

That rabbit picture reminds me of the joke:

A bear and a rabbit are taking a sh1t in the woods, the bear says to rabbit “hey, do you have problems with sh!t sticking to your fur?” “No” says the rabbit. “Good” says the bear and picks up the rabbit and wipes his arse with it….

DezB
    Free Member

Hit a small deer on a race in the New Forest. No idea what happened to it!

Me and a mate were on a ride in Wales and went up a road that was absolutely FULL of pheasants. They went mental and were bouncing off us and our bikes for about 5 minutes as we rode along. Was hilarious.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

^ 😆

In no particular order ;

two squirrels hit my front wheel
    chased by geese that got a bit too close at times
    many close encounters with sheep (I’m a Yorkshireman wahay!!!)
    badgers on more than one occasion (never hit one but had them running alongside and in front a few times )
    most bizarre one was a shot pheasant that fellout of the sky and missed me by about two inches on the Bingley bash

scaled
    Free Member

(nearly) 2 quad bikes coming up the bridleway in the dark last night 👿

_tom_
    Free Member

DHL van, the same one on multiple occasions/locations on the same ride. Twunt.

Helios
    Free Member

Well I wasn’t on the bike at the time – but the suicidal pigeon that decided to cut across my path as I drove to ride one day got a pretty serious shredding via my spokes:

Pulling bits of wing out of the disk brake was pretty grim…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

got chased by two young horses once, favourite was a ride in mungreysdale, as Im riding along a path cut into the hill I hear a loud sound of hooves running but can’t see where from. mate in front has eyes like saucers ,loud thud and a ram lands on the ground to my left still running , missed by head by a coat of paint.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mark Bosnich. No really, I don’t think he was off dogging or anything but it was during his Aston Villa days.

organic355
    Free Member

I nearly nailed a cat this morning, it was running full pelt towards a (usually busy) main road, which was pretty quiet, I was pedalling at the time so it didnt hear/see me, I saw it in time stopped pedalling, and let me Hope pro 2 hub roar to let it know I was there, it did a quick u turn on the curb and ran off. Glad I dint hit it as i think i would have gone down.

richmtb

A cow.

It was resting my the side of the trail. I brushed past it while on a night ride. In the dark it just looked like a big bush (it was a big shaggy highland cow).

It leapt up with a loud moo and I absolutely shat myself and pedalled away like a maniac

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Not run into, but last night while out on a road ride I had a Barn Owl ride alongside me for about 200 metres before it flew away.

loughor
    Free Member

Snakes !! Big, poisonous things in Hong Kong. Look on the tube for ‘chi ma wan snake’, not my vid.. sorry no idea how to link it

benslow
    Free Member

Re Barn owl … bet that was amazing .. !

ir_bandito
    Free Member

A rabbit once tried to run through my front wheel once. Its leg ended up in the lap of my mate who was behind me, I got blood all up me. Rabbit blood is very very sticky. Didn’t see where the rest of it ended up.

Had a few near misses with suicidal badgers, and caused a hare to jump cleanly over a 4′ wall last night trying to get out of my way.

Once chased a kangaroo down some singletrack in Castlemaine, VIC, but didn’t actually contact it.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Yesterday got attacked by a Labrador (nipping to Sandhurst along Cove Brook for some fork oil) – it seemed to have a taste for my pannier.
    Tuesday it was a van going along a one way system the wrong way.
    Usually I just get kamikaze pedestrians meandering round car parks and across roads so this made a change to my urban cycle rides.

brooess
    Free Member

Had a deer run into our roadie club pack once, very close to causing a pileup.

And was once a passenger in an Addison Lee ‘taxi’ which very very nearly swiped a cyclist off, pulling a u-turn. He didn’t understand, despite an explanation from me, why the cyclist was shouting and making rude gestures 😯

loughor
    Free Member

here you go (hopefully) snakes on a trail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsepg_bNQko

vickypea
    Free Member

A badger waddled out in front of me last night when I was out mountain biking, and last year a marmot ran out in front of me in the Alps.

sputnik
    Free Member

I think this guy wins!

rickon
    Free Member

I had a butterfly slap into my forehead on a long and fast descent – and just stayed there, wings open, pinned to my face.

He flew off later.

I miss him.

rocketman
    Free Member

More of a direct hit as opposed to a near miss was when I skittled a group of school children out on what I imagine was a field trip.

As ever the fundamental problem was that I was going too fast and I exited onto the fireroad into the middle of the group. I managed to miss a few but sadly my bars caught on someone’s shoulder bag as they turned to look round and down we went, taking some of the others with us.

The teacher leading the group was speechless it looked like the kids had been snipered they were all on the ground. Fortunately no-one was (physically) injured and after a bit of dusting off we were all able to continue on our way

This Is Cannock

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Nearly ran over a peacock once

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What has nearly run into you on your ride?’ is closed to new replies.