• This topic has 70 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jobro.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • What happened to bar ends?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

what they do is enable you to open out your chest, change your stance and give you more leverage on the ends of the bars.

This (along with the comments re wrist-forearm rotation x100 – it almost eliminates arm-pump).

I really enjoy climbing (handy, considering most of my longer rides are Exmoor, North Cornwall, North Devon etc) and climbing without bar-ends makes me walk sooner. That open-chested and slightly elated feeling when finally cresting (say) Dunkery Beacon out of Porlock Vale…difficult to describe, but is so much better than without them (I use Procraft Evo for trekking, bikepacking, climbing etc, not so much for local rides just leave em off. )

BigDummy
    Free Member

Once the bars started to get wide, I couldn’t get on with them. I was trying to run Cane Creek ergos on a 710mm swept flat bar, and they just weren’t right any more. The big bars have made control in the steep stuff FAR better, so I use those rather than a narrower bar and bar-ends. If I was doing longer days and less bias towards the downs they’d come back out again.

(or, in MBUK speak “they are too jey

🙂

core

I used to like them when I was using my mtb 50/50 on and off road with a lot of long climbs, really good for varying hand position and preventing numbness, but now I ride more off road, with wider bars (740mm, as opposed to 640mm ish) I don’t feel the need for them, and do worry about catching the vegetation with them.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The MTB equivalent of the Zimmer frame.

Ah, I get it – long distance multi-day gruelling treks and mad climbs (as opposed to a couple of miles around a wood ) are for the elderly and physically impaired? No wait…

Bar ends are for drunken grandads who lost their driving license so bought a stolen fullsuss 90s BSO with ends-of-shame inexplicably fitted to rusty risers – just to get to the dole office/Wetherspoons/off-license – also good for shopping bags not sliding off the bars and scattering precious tinnies all over the footpath.

Other opinions may also (not) count…

PS I’m not yet fifty but do have a hybrid tourer in the fleet, and custom tartan slipper SPuDs 😉

Mikkel
    Free Member

Ergon grips with bar ends on 3 bikes here.

D0NK

Just got a new (to me) bike with flat bars so I dugout some old bar ends, I use them while stood up on steep climbs but what I’ve noticed is how much I use them sat down on not so steep stuff, just resting my hands on them, I seem to like the alternate hand position. Dunno, maybe I could manage just fine without them (haven’t used bar ends for circa 10years) will run them for a while then try a few rides without, see how much I miss them*.

*they do, after all, add weight and I reckon they increase chance of snagging on overhanging vegetation to some degree.

RustySpanner

Yes on the everyday bike, no on the mtb.

Fitted carbon bars and scared of breaking them so not put them back on.
    Must buy a torque wrench.

I do miss them on long flat routes.
    Still find myself resting my palms on the end of the bars just for a change.
    Not safe really.

maxtorque

In the old days, when we sat on our bikes like a sack of spuds, bar ends worked.

Nowadays, when we like to move around our bikes in all 3 planes, bar ends don’t work, and so have just been replaced by wider normal bars on a shorter stem.

bigrich

I race enduro races with mine. very handy for the pinch climbs.

honestly, they work a treat on wide bars.

they are 2 finger stubbies I’ve had for 18 years though.

bigrich

they still make them.

I reckon mine got another ten in them before the metal wears through.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nowadays, when we like to move around our bikes in all 3 planes, bar ends don’t work

Have to disagree, have been moving around bikes for three decades, seen them come and go etc… but barends are a 4th plane! ie more options to move around, do more climbs further, and arguably protect yr fingers from thorny whips n stuff (unless straight/stubbies which can hook stuff if you’re not looking/lose yr line)

They still freak me out on jumps, never worked this out, it’s probably a pysch-out thing* even above the old rule that jump bikes+bar ends = über-fashion crime…

*Had Procraft Evo L-bends fitted on my Maxlight, pure joy climbing Exmoor, yet at the top have whipped them off and stowed in the hydro pack before the descent. Still not sure why…

skinnyboy
    Free Member

there ya go, although i have a much shorter stem on it these days

epicyclo

MrSmith – Member
    Nearly every pic with them in this thread the bike seems to look more like a tourer/hybrid owned by the over 50’s than a MTB…

Ah, the fashion statement.

Surely it’s about getting your hands where it works best for you rather than the shape of the bar or how’s it’s achieved, not the “look”.

FOG

My ex-wife used to claim my hands are on backwards and there is an element of truth in this! The effect is that my wrists get painful on long rides unless I can change positions regularly so bar ends are v. useful for my particular anatomy.

crosshair
    Free Member

I love mine. It’s good to have options. Can be a bit sketchy on rocky descents when you suddenly realise your hands are on them and need to be back on the grips for braking 😀

On my old GT:

And my Scott:

ransos
    Free Member

what they do is enable you to open out your chest, change your stance and give you more leverage on the ends of the bars.

You can’t open out your chest with 780mm bars? Just how big are you?!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You can’t open out your chest with 780mm bars? Just how big are you?!

Bar ends on mad climbs also flatten (un-hunches) yr back when standing out of the saddle (at least my hooge ones do) by moving you forward a good few inches forward which I find not only increases lung capacity but useful leverage, aided further by having your hands rotated outwards. This could be partly achieved with wider bars, along with longer toptub/stem but then that compromises other riding requirements on mixed trails.

it’s deffo horses for courses and a big old mix of fashion and practical concerns. if everyones bike was the same we’d all ride the same stuff and that would be boring, a far greater crime than different kit.

*Edit ‘toptube’. ‘top tub’ is arguably the one accessory that causes me the greatest biking impediment 😳

bigrich

Nino knows best

epicyclo

Malvern Rider – Member
    “The MTB equivalent of the Zimmer frame.”
    Ah, I get it – long distance multi-day gruelling treks and mad climbs (as opposed to a couple of miles around a wood ) are for the elderly and physically impaired? No wait…

I think I’ve been sprung 🙂

padkinson
    Free Member

Nino knows best

In 2011, when that picture was taken, maybe he was running bar ends.

But now, he’s on the wide bars with no ‘ends.

padkinson
    Free Member

And I used to run bar ends on the SS (where they are most useful IMO, when you have to grunt up hills), but ditched them when:

1. I moved from 600mm to 700mm bars, and found I could get the leverage from the added width without using the bar ends.

2. I managed to go over the bars after getting both bar ends caught simultaneously on foliage.

On the main race bike, I’ve never run them, and never felt like I’d want to, especially now with the 710mm stick I’ve got on there at the moment. I reckon I’d probably forget to use them in an XC race anyway.

nach
    Free Member

I think it comes down somewhat to your drivetrain and local terrain too. I definitely used to feel the benefit of having a position where my wrists were rotated 90 degrees, it made it much easier to sprint up stuff, but I was on fairly crappy 3×8 and living somewhere with no hills over a few hundred feet. Now I’m near long, steep climbs with a recent 2×10 setup, I don’t often get a chance to sprint up anything and it’s easy to put myself in a spot where I have too much torque and not enough traction.

I don’t really understand the tribalism over bar ends/no bar ends. It seems like preaching the gospel of 26″ to people in Wisconsin or something.

barends are a 4th plane!

Non-Euclidean mountain biking? That’s some next-level gnar, that 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Went about the same time as V-brakes didn’t they?

Yeah, some people still stick with em, but most people realised they were rubbish.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lovely!

Holy brake lever angle Batman!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yeah, some people still stick with em, but most people realised they were rubbish.

Spot on. Same goes for

lycra
    yellow helmets
    short shorts
    long shorts
    hybrids
    inbreds
    straight bars
    drop bars
    Ti
    hi-viz
    gas cartridges
    pumps
    7spd
    8spd
    9spd
    hub gears
    derailleurs
    any gears
    inner tubes
    26er
    27er
    29er
    purple
    pink
    green
    white
    pastels
    Seabrooks crisps

jameso

…and Blur.

bigrich

In 2011, when that picture was taken, maybe he was running bar ends.

But now, he’s on the wide bars with no ‘ends.

look at the poor bastard, struggling away, wishing he had bar ends.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Remember when they first came out not all riders had them and they were considered such an unfair advantage on climbs that they weren’t allowed at the world champs that year.

jobro
    Free Member

I guess I fitted bar ends to the Niner for many of the reasons already menioned: different bar position,felt good on climbs, definitely better out of the saddle.
    But they are coming off soon for the same arguments above: they are bracken catchers,they aren’t needed so much now with wide bars etc

DezB
    Free Member

they are bracken catchers,they aren’t needed so much now with wide bars etc

etc = they totally ruin the look of your bike? 🙂

jobro
    Free Member

they are bracken catchers,they aren’t needed so much now with wide bars etc

etc = they totally ruin the look of your bike?

don’t agree with that at all

On a riser bar? Yea thats a wrong ‘un
    On a nice flat bar? they look great.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘What happened to bar ends?’ is closed to new replies.