Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What glue for patching sidewall splits?
  • mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Sidewall splits.

I normally super-glue a bit of old sidewall to the inside. It works really well, but problem is (I guess) the superglue isn't flexible enough. The patch often comes adrift after a few weeks.

Yes I'm a cheapskate, it serves me well. I've just grudgingly binned a nice Maxxis with only four patches, after one just won't stay put. – So what glue works well?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Superglue works for a bit but it's not waterproof and a bit brittle. I now just use normal rubber glue as if doing an inner tube patch and put one inside and one outside (which eventually comes off). Stitch it too if it's big. Talc the inside to stop the tube pulling it off.

Annoying having to chuck usable tyres.

swisstony
    Free Member

superglue the split then normal patch and glue inside and out, not had one come off.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Thanks Buzz, I'll try stitching them as well from now. Perhaps that's the key.

Onzadog
    Free Member

normal type puncture repair on the inside. Let the solution dry before you put the patch on and make sure you've really cleaning the area up with emery cloth and IPA before you put the solution on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What glue for patching sidewall splits?’ is closed to new replies.