Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • What Freeride / DH frame?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a ’03 Santa Cruz Bullit and am considering replacing the frame. I want at least 160mm rear travel, maximum 142×12 rear axle [as I want to keep my existing wheels], I’ll probably need a Large / X Large [as I’m 6’2″] and I want to try and keep the weight down(ish). What Freeride / DH frames are worth a look at the moment? Thanks

neallyman
    Free Member

Tr250 if you can afford it.
    Nothing close in my opinion.

norcosix
    Free Member

get yourself a new bullit frame. thats wahat i ride with a set off boxxers upfront. lock the boxxers out with motion control for the climbs and then make it all bouncy for the downs. bullits are bombproof !!

Ewan
    Free Member

Nomad? That’ll be quite a bit slacker than a 03 bullet.

Failing that I really fancy a Scott Voltage FR, just a shame I’m too tall and it won’t take a front mech.

I think Giant Reigns come in gate sizes as well – the Reign X from 2010 onwards is pretty light and rides nicely.

(the above is more the free ride end of the spectrum, which I assume you’re most interested in if you only want 160mm travel)

Driller
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to do better than a new Bullit for the money.

If you’ve got lots to spend then there’s much more choice. It’s not a massive cost to get a wheel rebuilt with a 150mm rear.

jimjam
    Free Member

Don’t let a rear hub dictate the whole bike. I really hope spesh bring the sx trail into the uk for 2012. Imo it’s head and shoulders above everything else in this category. Something else to consider might be the trek scratch, though I’ve not ridden one yet. New Uzzi could be another, or you’ve got Nicolai’s helius fr/afr and ufo. Giant faith is another one, the new patriot looks the ticket too.

Doubtless though someone will be along to tell you an orange 5 is all you need for downhill/freeride and that those things don’t exist.

Duane…
    Free Member

New Bullits have silly high BBs and silly steep headangles.

What kind of riding do you want to do? “Freeride/Downhill” is a bit vague. Where will it be ridden?

Budget?

Front travel?

etc

Gotama
    Free Member

No but a patriot would fit the bill 😀

staralfur
    Free Member

I REALLY love my Commencal mini dh, bags of fun to ride.

toys19
    Free Member

I moved from a bullit to a 150mm travel covert with 160mm fox 36s up front, back feels bottomless, but it climbs really really well and is much slacker than the bullit.

JEngledow
    Free Member

What kind of riding do you want to do? “Freeride/Downhill” is a bit vague. Where will it be ridden?

I mostly ride South Wales DH, forest of Dean, Aston hill and others, I’ve also just got back from Morzine and WILL be going back at some point in the not too distant future.

Budget?

This is where it gets properly vague as I’d like to stay nearer to £1k however will stretch quite a bit for the ‘right’ bike.

Front travel?

Whatever best suits the back!

the above is more the free ride end of the spectrum, which I assume you’re most interested in if you only want 160mm trave

not necessarily as I want a minimum of 160mm and will happily go for more.

Thanks for all advice so far 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

sounds like a covert is the bike for you…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For £1200 I will sell you a Session 88 and a set of Deemax.

stevede
    Free Member

If your going second hand then i can highly recommend an SX trail, such a nice bike,good angles,nice and short back end, pre 06 they cracked at the weld on the driveside chainstay, they beefed them up the following year. I had an 07 with 36’s and is the most fun bike i’ve owned, now do less dh and more trail riding so downsized as i couldn’t justify keeping it.
    If i was to get a big bike again then the SX would be top of the list.

Duane…
    Free Member

I guess you need to decide if you want a “full on” DH bike (Session 88, Giant Glory etc etc) or a shorter travel (160ish), such as the Covert/SX Trail (not saying theyre similar bikes though)..

Oh, new or used?

Euro
    Free Member

Regarding frame size, large is plenty big enough for dh/freeride. I’m over 6’4″ and ride a large Commie Supreme MiniDH. For the type of riding your describing, it’s better to have a slightly smaller frame so you can boss it about imo. I’d recommend one if you’re on a budget or SX trail. Money no object TR250 please.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ll have a TR250 aswell please.

cubemeup
    Free Member

intense slopstyle looks pretty neat, also a carbon nomad

_tom_
    Free Member

I had a ride on an Intense Uzzi and it just munched up everything. It did make the trail a bit less interesting at low speed but push it a bit faster and it’s awesome 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Last Herb FR?
    I’ve just ordered mine…

MSP

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2095

What could you sell your old bike for

fix
    Free Member

TR250, you wont regret it!

alpin
    Free Member

i was going to suggest the Canyon Torque.

a friend has one, but with an DHX shock. he’s not so keen on the shock, but he’s german and worries about the weight of everything. he also had some play in the rear end but this has now been fixed.

the frame always gets a very good write up in the german mags…. and not because it’s from a german firm – they’ve got quite a few producing these sort of bikes – but because it rides well.

dans160
    Free Member

Intense Uzzi VP/SS2/Tracer 2
    Transition TR250

If I was just riding the downs I’d go for the latter but if anything else were involved I’d look at the first three options. An Intense SS1 is a great all round bike that goes up pretty well and is bloody fast on the downs but is quite small for the large size. At 6’2 sit on one before you buy.

Loads out there and you can probably get a good deal on a Lapierre Froggy at the moment which has scored some good reviews recently. Merlin are also doing some stunning deals on Commencals at the moment so worth a look also.

toys19
    Free Member

Those recommending the tr250, have you ever ridden one? Whilst it is an amazing min DH bike and I would not criticize it in any way, it is by no means a freeride or all mountain frame, as in, climbing is a bitch on it, which is why I recommended the covert. I think I migth have the wrong impression about the OP as I thought he might want a bike he can climb on. If its uplift days or pushups only then yeah I’d go tr250 too. (I Have a 450 and its awesome).

Also as others have said the rear hub size issue should not limit/dictate your choices I solved this by replacing my hub and rebuilding my rear wheel.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If you’re looking for a tough bike that climbs I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Cove GSpot, I’ve got one… bought and paid for so no connections with Cove. For me it replaces the Hustler and STD I had / have because it goes up better than the Hustler and down as good as the STD. I’ve ridden a nomad / an older sx and would personally choose the GSpot every time. I’ve not ridden the Intense or the Covert.

Having said that, if you’re looking for a bike for uplift only then you should probably get something bigger, what’s the point of having a smaller bike if you don’t need to pedal?

You can see my Cove GSpot and a wee review on BasqueMTB if you want.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If your looking for a tough bike then I wouldnt look at an intense.

Ewan
    Free Member

Covert is really a trail bike with a bit of extra travel – i’d not want to do DH all day every day on one. Same goes for Nomad (to a slightly less extent as they’ll warenty a pair of 888s on the front (I asked!).

How about a YT industries? Cheap, look good? I just want someone to buy one so i can find out if I should!

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=156&xc723e=e6nbs4ivfsncaeftd5kghsnk556i95r2

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=154&xc723e=e6nbs4ivfsncaeftd5kghsnk556i95r2

ianv
    Free Member

For the price of a transition frame you can get a YT industries bike! The special world cup is the bargain of the century and I think they will be offering another in the autumn. Not only do you get an amazing bike, you get extra tyres, 2 nights B&B plus lift passes and training at some German bike park!

Otherwise, I think Merlin are discounting Commencal frames at the mo, Supreme DH perhaps?

alpin
    Free Member

yup, YT always get a good write up in the german mags.

and not because of the “preis leistungs verhaltniss” (value for money). they supposedly ride well.

dans160
    Free Member

“If your looking for a tough bike then I wouldnt look at an intense.”

Oh dear.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I guess you need to decide if you want a “full on” DH bike or a shorter travel (160ish)

I think that’s the question I needed to answer and thinking about it i think I should go for the “full on” DH bike, as I’ll just be back asking what bike again if I don’t!

So I’m gonna forget about the rear hub and find a good DH bike, although my budget won’t stretch to the TR250!

walleater

Is the TR250 the new Inbred? 9Lb for a single pivot frame with no shock is well lardy, and that seat tube ruins the bike for everything except for it’s intended porpoise. Might as well just short shock an old DH frame if you want something that heavy and that geometry.

It does look pretty sick though.

toys19
    Free Member

TBH if you are going full on DH just get the TR450..

JEngledow
    Free Member

For £1200 I will sell you a Session 88 and a set of Deemax.

Please can you send details / photos? (email in profile)

JEngledow
    Free Member

Are there any deals out there which I’ve missed or is my budget of about £1500 just too low for a new frame?

toys19
    Free Member

solid m9 frames are v popular in dh can get them for £1000

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“If your looking for a tough bike then I wouldnt look at an intense.”

Oh dear.

They all seem to crack though. Or they are welded wonky. Not worth the risk really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What Freeride / DH frame?’ is closed to new replies.