Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What flexi bike lock are you using?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Looking for a flexi bike lock to carry around in my bag rather than the heavy bulky and rigid D-lock Ive got. It’ll mainly be for short stop stuff than leaving the bike for longer than 30 mins.

Whats everyone using?

crashdummy
    Free Member

Don’t they always get really bad security ratings?

I know D-locks are not always the easiest thing to carry, but atleast your bike has a decent chance of still being there when you get back.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

But if the bike is not out of my sight then it isnt an issue.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those ABUS curly coil things. The coil aspect can be a pain, but it’s reasonably secure for line of sight parking. I think it would take longer to remove it than it would for you to get back to the bike.

gecko76

Don’t go for a cable – too easily cut with bolt cutters ime.

I’m using an Abus 1835 combination chain lock.

Be interested to hear opinions on key vs. code.

kaesae
    Free Member

😀

Wally

abus bordo.
    [b]
    bit heavy – but way better than cable for short line of sight jobs.

philcruz
    Free Member

d locks are only way to be sure your bikes there when you come back even 2 mins is enough for it to go,i use a oxford magnum d lock same as my motorbike and a ming cable and barrel lock as well they are heavy but well worth it if one of your wheels and rotors are worth £700 on there own lol

stabilizers

Its been some time since I looked into them but did D locks not have a reputation for being too easy to force open with the right kit. I have been using those ABUS flex locks for some time. They are probaably not the best now so it would be good to know what’s good these days.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I use a krypotnite kryptoflex for in-sight locking of the bike, for longer stuff I tend to use a mini-D although that bordo looks interesting. D’s are no use against bottle jacks but if they can’t get the jack in they can’t use it.

What I really would like to try would be a Knog Milkman for ‘in sight’ lock ups like pub stops as it looks perfect, that is if Knogg wouldn’t keep changing the due date for stock every month since last october (latest eta is April).

brakes
    Free Member

I use an ABUS D-lock and one of these, the cable is about 3/4″ thick
    no idea how solid they are, but they have a silver rating. I always put on two types of lock which require two types of tool to break on the assumption that most thieves only carry one.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

MIght have to pop down LBS to have a look

Hairychested
    Free Member

When I lived in London I was using one of those:

firestarter
    Free Member
    MSP

I just bought one from the LBS, I needed something light for mountainbiking and bikepacking for those times when popping into a shop/cafe etc for refreshments.
    Its frequently not realistic to be carrying a huge heavy duty lock around sometimes you just have to hope that anything provides a deterrent, and usually in remote areas and villages your not going to encounter tooled up bike thieves.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Trouble with those armoured locks is that they look the business (used an Abus Steel-o-flex for years thinking it was keeping my pride and joy safe) but get through those rollers and the cable inside is only half inch thick at best. I know, mine is hanging on the radiator behind me, all but cropped through.

I know who you are, you ******* 😈

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the kryptonite fahgettaboudit mini d lock is good and pretty small so alot easier to carry than a normal d lock (i think the small size also makes it more secure as there is less room to get tools to break it open). it is tight fit though.

if i am leaving the bike for a few hours and out of sight then i use the mini d alongside the fahgettaboudit it chain which weighs a ton, if it is just a quick stop off to do some shopping then i feel safe enough just using the mini d

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Msp – what did you get? Sounds like you got simething similar to what I want

MSP

Its just a cheap abus one (I think) its about 80cm long so will go round a lamppost or immobilise the rear wheel.

The lock market seems to be made up of big heavy lumps that give the purchaser the impression of security, I am not so sure they actually really provide much security. I think that with modern materials it would be fairly easy to make a light strong cable lock, but it wouldn’t fit in with peoples perceptions of what is secure.
    Its the bike industries equivalent to parking tanks outside airports to prevent terrorism.

crankboy
    Free Member

I use the “Revolution Secure Retractable Lock “(Was £7.99) it is essentially as effective as a piece of string with a difficult knot but works for short trips to the shop or leaving the bike or rucksack outside a pub where you can see it. It won’t stop a determined thief or a child with a pair of scissors but does stop a passing git just hopping on and ridding off.

Northwind

brakes – Member

I use an ABUS D-lock and one of these, the cable is about 3/4″ thick
    no idea how solid they are, but they have a silver rating.

Bronze means “Can be cut with scissors”, Silver means “The scissors have to be quite sharp” All these test standards are nothing but a scam unfortunately, lots of ridiculous attacks “We attacked the chain with a combination of harsh language and baking soda for 5 minutes and it didn’t break!” and nonrepeatable results “Boltcropper proof until an independant tester tries it and cuts it in 10 seconds”.

There are afaik no cable locks that aren’t faster to cut with cablecutters, than they are to unlock with the key. But none of the testing systems use proper cable cutters.

The Abus thing seems to be less terrible than most but I’m never sure if it’s actually secure or just designed to pass tests.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What flexi bike lock are you using?’ is closed to new replies.