Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • What film should be, and never has been, remade?
  • RustySpanner

Hitchhikers didn’t have a plot & I doubt very much if even Douglas Adams understood it. 🙂

Which is why it’s great.

wrecker
    Free Member

Starring…?

Good question.
    Needs to be naturally stunning, mid 20’s, not stick thin. Hmmm.
    Teach Katy Perry to act?

Cougar

I’d like to see a 2001: A Space Odyssey remake.

Heh, just discussing this subject with a mate and I thought the same thing completely coincidentally. Might be an interesting film if they did away with a lot of the trippy effects and navel-gazing twaddle. I’m thinking William Daniels to play HAL.

Cougar

Needs to be naturally stunning, mid 20’s, not stick thin. Hmmm.

I was idly thinking of Eliza Dushku.

Not that that’s an unusual occurrence.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was idly thinking of Eliza Dushku.

Not that that’s an unusual occurrence.
    Needs to be more sultry. Kelly le Brock was impossibly-out of everyones league- hot in the first one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone could do a Duel remake and do the stunning simplicity of it justice or would they ram it full of SFX?

cranberry
    Free Member

Starring…?

You might have to teach her to walk and talk at the same time though.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Black Hawk Down

In the remake they should tell the whole story, and set the scene by showing a US Helicopter defying United Nations and carrying out a rocket attack against a supposed militia meeting killing 60. It was this illegal attack that led to Somalis turning against the US.

willard

M_F, think about what you just said, then think of Hollywood, then think about what would happen.

The first thing that happens with a remake of a classic film is that the studio spends half its budget on special effects that are probably over the top. The best films either use very little SFX or shun it entirely IMHO.

D0NK

The first thing that happens with a remake of a classic film is that the studio spends half its budget on special effects that are probably over the top

so glengarry glen ross this time with car chases, missiles and explosions?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M_F, think about what you just said, then think of Hollywood, then think about what would happen.

The first thing that happens with a remake of a classic film is that the studio spends half its budget on special effects that are probably over the top. The best films either use very little SFX or shun it entirely IMHO.
    Yep I really do agree.

And don’t forget 3D (although to be fair, 3D could do some scenes in Duel justice).

Which brings us on to another topic swerve… ‘What existing films could have benefited from being filmed in 3D’?

(I could have said ‘Jaws’ but they did that didn’t they)?

Cougar

Needs to be more sultry.

If you know of someone more sultry than Eliza Dushku, I’d like her lightly oiled and sent to my room immediately.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Is it only me that thinks that there are too many remakes, sequels, preqels and genearal farting about with old ideas and a shortage of origonal thinking. all my favourite films were considered off the wall at the time, from the origonal bladerunner to the wicker man. both they and lots of other quirky origonals have been **** with to the point of devalueing the origonal .anybody enjoy the gus van sant remake of psycho, like psycho but without any threat or menace but with a muscle bound norman [ master] bates.

flange
    Free Member

Bullet

Not sure who’d take McQueens part though, not sure there’s anyone that would do it justice

wrecker
    Free Member

Find me an equal!

atlaz
    Free Member

all my favourite films were considered off the wall at the time, from the origonal bladerunner to the wicker man.

The wickerman remake was awful. I wanted Nick Cage to be burned long before the end

Also… when was bladerunner remade? Or are you talking about the 100000 directors cut versions?

Cougar

There’s a Bladerunner remake in the pipeline, helmed (IIRC) by Ridley Scott again.

Find me an equal!

I’ll be in my bunk.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t really get why Waterworld comes in for such a panning. Sure, it’s not one of the best ever, but it’s not really any worse than plenty of others in the genre is it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Read this, the dude is back!

Dude

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Thats my point atlaz they moved the action from a scottish isle to america for no geed reason , took away the plot device of the missing girl and had nicolas cage walking around like a baffled horse for two hours – pointless .

as for bladerunner I loved the origonal but how many director’s cuts and remakes do we need

AlexSimon

There’s a Bladerunner remake in the pipeline, helmed (IIRC) by Ridley Scott again.

Sequel, not remake. Harrison Ford to play Deckard (although not starring)

AlexSimon

Read this, the dude is back!

yay!!! fav film of all time!
    I hope they don’t cock this one up!

(although the subtitle is already worrying tbh)

Cougar

Sequel, not remake. Harrison Ford to play Deckard (although not starring)

Sorry, braino; I knew that, just no-one told my fingers.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What existing films could have benefited from being filmed in 3D’?

(I could have said ‘Jaws’
    yes, and that wouldn’t be a bad idea. Jaws films IIRC, just got worse and worse, but a Jaws 3D remake with a bit of effort put into it..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The land that time forgot with modern CGI.. oh and with Kelly Brook and Beyonce in it. That’s the important bit.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Highlander….. Loved the plot of the original, but the film lacked bite and the effects were prety poor. It did however give superb scenery shots in Scotland. Queen soundtrack was great in places, but a litle OTT in other.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Just noticed they are remaking Highlander…… 🙂

Cougar

Wotchoo talkin bout, Willis?

Cougar

Oh yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander_%28film%29

On March 2008, Summit Entertainment announced that it had bought the film rights to the Highlander franchise and is remaking the 1986 original movie. Originally Iron Man writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway were writing the script, but Summit Entertainment turned to Melissa Rosenberg to write it instead, with release scheduled for 2011. In September 2009, Fast & Furious director Justin Lin was announced as director of the film, while Neal H. Moritz was slated to co-produce. As of 2011, release had been pushed back to 2014. As of the middle of May of 2012, Ryan Reynolds was slated to play the titular character.

Looks like they’re being faithful to the original in their use of authentic Scottish acting talent, at least.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you’re gonna remake films, they should have to start again from the lumiere brothers, and go through everything again in chronological order. The same as when they run out of rhyming couplets for rap.

Drac

Westworld

It was but it had Dinosaurs instead of robots.

deluded
    Free Member

Rita, Sue and Bob Too.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Casablanca

There’s already been a remake with Pamela Anderson playing bogart’s role – Barbwire.
    🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol at deluded

I always get sloppy seconds 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

I have always thought that ‘North By Northwest’ could be brought right up to date.

CountZero

North By Northwest is perfect. It does not need remaking, and, frankly, neither does Highlander.

For a remake to be worthwhile the story has to be good, and the original had to fail to deliver the goods.

Couldn’t agree more, and on that basis, a classic Roger Zelazney story, and one of my favourites, is crying out for a quality film version, that’s faithful to both the story and spirit of the novel; Damnation Alley. There was a film made, that changed the most important feature of the story, and as a result it stank, ’bout like a two day old roadkill skunk. The main character is the last of the Hell’s Angels, Hell Tanner, but in the film he’s a clean-cut, all-American hero. Zelazney disowned it, insisted all reference to him and his book be removed from the film and it’s publicity.
    It would make a fantastic film if done sensitively.

nicko74

A Boy and his Dog. Although I think Don Johnson can’t really be bettered in it.

Tinbred
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the film is, there are three ingredients for a great film; Defy AUthority, Destroy Property and take clothes off.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What film should be, and never has been, remade?’ is closed to new replies.