Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what exactly is a "transition" ( in the dirt jump sense)
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

pls enlighten me

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Its a frame made by DMR.

Or the downside (landing area) of a jump.

ie: On a 'double' it'll be the bit you land on.

Shandy
    Free Member

Its the bit between the bottom of the jump and the take-off. Basically its the important bit because if it is well built it makes it very easy to keep your balance. If its badly built you have to compensate and/or end up at the take-off slightly out of balance, which isn't a good way to be leaving the ground.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Isn't it the bit that you land on and that is angled for landing on.

Like if you jump off something, and land on something that is angled nicely to land on, the bit you land on is a transition. If you jump off something and land on a completely flat bit of ground, that has no transition.

Joe

Shandy
    Free Member

Joe you are right, there are transitions anywhere the angle of a slope changes. Obviously too much time spent building kickers out of snow has got me all fixated on the take-off 😆

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh, it appears to be both bits then – the bit where you transition from riding to going up and the bit where you transition from being in the air to riding along on the flat. Learn a new thing every day. You can tell I've only fallen down off things to landings rather than jumping up off proper jumps.

Joe

Olly
    Free Member

the bit between the run in and the takeoff/lip?

odannyboy
    Free Member

ok so the bit you land on if its not landing on flat ground.

surely all ramps that you jump off must have a transition (from flat to skyward) otherwise there would be no jump at all??

lcj

It can also be used in circumstances where you jump from a take off on one set of doubles and use the landing of another set to land on – i.e. where you have parallel sets of trails.

Shandy
    Free Member

Any take-off will have to have a transition from the angle of the run-in to the angle of the take-off. The kind of jumps kids build, with bricks and planks of wood, have an immediate transition, from say 0 degrees to 20 degrees as you hit the plank. Obviously if you have a nice flexy plank it smooths this transition and gives more pop, every 9 year old BMX expert knows that.

On a beautiful dirt jump the angle will go from 0 degrees to close to 90 in a very gradual fashion, this is what makes a good jump smooth. Similarly, a nice landing will take your forward motion and the rate you are falling at, and deliver you smoothly onto the horizontal plain once more.

In the main, all you need to know is that if you don't fancy the jump, scratch your chin, shake your head, and knowingly say "I'm just not sure about that transition…"

sootyandjim
    Free Member

In the main, all you need to know is that if you don't fancy the jump, scratch your chin, shake your head, and knowingly say "I'm just not sure about that transition…"

Shandy – I don't believe I know you but you've got my dirt jump technique down to a 't'.

😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I am no jumper but I thought it was the actual act of getting from one level to another and jumping over the bit inbetween, rather than a part of the terrain.. no?

coffeeking
    Free Member

If its badly built you have to compensate and/or end up at the take-off slightly out of balance, which isn't a good way to be leaving the ground.

And there's my excuse for being useless at jumping!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Icj, no thats called a transfer (and frequently ends in spectacular disaster).

Once watched a guy take off from the end of the first long straight at bolehills and attempt to land on the inside berm, he bailed spectaculalry form about 10ft in the air!

Transition, as in the transition from flat to vertical.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

the transition is the bit where you land that is usually sloped to make the landing smoother as opposed to landing onto the flat which will give a bigger 'hit'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what exactly is a "transition" ( in the dirt jump sense)’ is closed to new replies.