Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What every car driver should be made to watch
  • Houns
    jon1973
    Free Member

Horrible. I can't stand riding on busy roads.

tails
    Free Member

sandels and socks 😡

Olly
    Free Member

smooth.
    same thing happened to me. wish i had had a helmet camera, as was doing about 30/40 down a hill.

jon1973
    Free Member

Jesus Olly. How long did it take for your eyeball to get back to normal? Did anything happen to the driver?

Olly
    Free Member

thats before it blew up.
    was eating with a straw for a few weeks.
    and as was an "accident" didnt press charges, but aafter a few weeksd of it was decidedly hacked off.

still, got a few k from the insurance of the van i wrote off in damages 🙂

ill see if i can find any "melon head" photos some time

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice monobrow! 😀

Karinofnine

OMG! Your eye! That looks really scary. Are you ok now?

thegreatape
    Free Member

30/40 my arse, that lip fluff would never have survived such speeds.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

The Guy that hit the cyclist should be hung anyway !!
    I mean , socks with sandals !! FFS .. hang him or shoot him 😆

2hottie
    Free Member

The sandal guy was a passer by who helped the chap on the floor not the daft sh1t who knocked him off.

theotherjonv

Nasty. And I don't mean just the sandals and socks. Plus; you've just flipped a bloke over your bonnet 6 yards down the road onto his head and your immediate reaction seems to be pulling his shoulder to try to get him up. And paralyse him potentially.

On the other side though. When on a bike you're so vulnerable, and on a double roundabout like that it's so easy for people to lose track of priorities I'd be at crawling speed through there. Overcautious, or road craft? Clearly the cyclist is in the right but that's no recompense if he spends the next 50 years in a wheelchair.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Hmmm, did you put your arm out to show you were turning right, I would have also slowed down aswell and double check the green car

Keva
    Free Member

he wasn't turning right, he's going straight across. If you watch it again you'll see there is no turning to the cyclists right… so why slow down when there's no traffic to give way to ? The driver of the car failed to give way to the right, failed to see on comming traffic, failed to stop when he should have done and drove straight into the cyclist.

Kev

Drac

Stupid old bastard, people like this piss me right off some just have no idea how to use a roundabout and just move out.

samuri
    Free Member

Those sorts of roundabouts always scare the crap out of me. IN that case is looks like the driver approaches and his door pillar obscures the cyclist on the approach.

singletrackmind

I think the cyclist was going straight on . Is there a hand signal for 'Im going straight on at this roundabout'?
    You can see from the camera movements that he scans right at the first roundabout , and checks right at the accident spot to see what the oncoming car is doing. Then the Mondeo just rolls straight out of the junction.
    No swerve tho. I would be interested to know where the front wheel of the bike hit the Moundano , front wheel area I reckon.

theotherjonv

why slow down when there's no traffic to give way to

Because the giffer in the green car *might* not be paying attention?

It's self-preservation – as I said; I'd rather be 'in the wrong' by slowing down and taking care but still walking come tea time.

specializedneeds

Personally, whilst I sympathise entirely I think the title could apply to everyone who cycles on the road just as well as car drivers. My old man drummed it into me that you have to ride assuming the cars can't see you, which he had drummed into him on his motorbike CBT. Lost count of the near misses I've had in exactly the same circumstance. But they were near misses because I slowed down so that I could stop in time if they "didn't see me".

Drac

Is there a hand signal for 'Im going straight on at this roundabout'?

Yes. And I suggest until you know them you no longer drive or ride on the roads.

theotherjonv

as for the 'no need to signal as there's no right turning' – again, whether in a car or on a bike I oversignal; better people know what you're doing as opposed to guess wrong. On my commute to work there's a section where the road goes 90deg right and another road comes in from the left (in effect s/ahead). So if there's a car there, I signal I'm going right (staying on the main road) so they KNOW.

Treat them all like idiots, a lot of the time you'll be right.

ski
    Free Member

IN that case is looks like the driver approaches and his door pillar obscures the cyclist on the approach.

In the comments, the driver claimed he was dazzaled & did not see the cyclist?

My guess, he was looking left at the Audi driver who was aproaching and not looking to his right/ahead of him.

theotherjonv

driver claimed he was dazzaled & did not see the cyclist?

Typical. So to summarise his defence. "I couldn't see the road was clear so I pulled out" He doesn't even stop to give himself chance to see.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Clearly the driver was at fault, but I pretty much ride around expecting drivers to do stupid things on roads like that and ride cautiously. Touch wood, no similar acccidents yet.

Better alive and wronged than dead and in the right.

singletrackmind

Note: This is the official Rules of the Road hand signal to indicate "going straight" at a junction or roundabout. However in the cycling community this signal is virtually unknown in this way and is generally used to signal STOPPING.

Ripped off a roadie website.

I didnt know it existed. I just point with my pointy finger

Either way , its all roger irrelevant as the old codger in the mundano would not have seen the hand signal because he simply wasnt/ didnt look.

I have never seen it used , or used it , and i would bet most people on here have never used it or seen it used either.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Yes. And I suggest until you know them you no longer drive or ride on the roads.

Blimey, odd socks on today Drac? 😉

I have never seen or heard of anything for cyclists beyond left/right and the myriad funny little roadie signals for riders behind you. I just googled cycling hand signals to see if i'd really been that blinkered but can't find anything beyond left/right/stopping/'watch out there's loads of us' in the first 3 or 4 pages of results. What actually is it?? (internet being silly today: I suspect the rest of you can see a picture of it in the post above this one.^^)

I always operated on the basis that in a car the signal for straight on (ie not even the littlest bit 'right' if there are multiple exits) at a roundabout was no signal at all until you pass the exit before the one you are leaving the roundabout on, then left obviously. This is what I do on a bike too. Why do cyclists need a special '3rd indicator'?

[edit] watching the vid again i would have been tempted to indicate right (particularly if drivers don't know what a straight on signal is either) since the road seems to bend that way a bit over the roundabout. Not that it would have made a difference if the driver wasn't looking anyway.

[2nd edit(!)]

ah, found it. I think these days many people would confuse this signal with either giving way to oncoming road user, or thanking them for already having given way to you. Can't say I have ever seen it used outside those 2 options.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Sorry but there were 3 roads coming into that round about, the green car was on what I would class as Straight on, the one the rider was taking was of to the right, agree with Samuri, could be case of rider hidden behind A piller for the driver, Plus its a broken line at the junction so you dont have to stop before entering roundabout, plus the rider should be on the defensive expecting this kind of thing to happen, Plus signaling to turn right and slowing up, he just seamed to keep going at the same pace.a lot of car drivers also have no idea what/how to indicate at roundabouts these days, At work were we drive for a living we all did a drivers awareness course the other week and were shown some very graphics films of poor driving/accidents and advised that its a good thing to keep up to speed on the Highway code.

sq225917
    Free Member

It sucks that he got hit by the car, but I have to say in the same situation I wouldn't have trusted the way the Mondeo approached the junction, he obviously wasn't slowing. Without eye contact with the drivers theirs no way I would have hit it at that speed.

Drac

I just googled cycling hand signals to see if i'd really been that blinkered but can't find anything beyond left/right/stopping/'watch out there's loads of us' in the first 3 or 4 pages of results. What actually is it??

I did the same and it isn't there not even in the highyway code, I remember as placing your right hand up with your arm bent palm facing forward. Least that's what I was told on my driving and advanced driving, it was also in the highway code then. Oh well maybe I'm showing my age.

Olly
    Free Member

no defending the brow, but the fluff was due to lack of being able to do anything about it at that point with all the scabby mank (was a few years ago btw, so fine now)

ive lost people behind window pillars before, anyone who reckons they havent just hasnt spotted them, everyone does it.

i reckon that rider will learn a lesson too, and start to ride assuming no one can see him. shame he had to learn it the hard way.

fergusd

The highway code is somewhat irrelevant, this is about defensive cycling and anticipation . . . you cannot assume that everybody (or anybody) will play by the rules . . . especially when you are laying your life on the line as you are on a bike . . .

The car driver was 100% wrong, but the cyclist rode straight into a very predictable and obvious conflict at what looks like full speed . . . I would not have taken that approach on a bike or in a car because I immediately looked at the mondeo as a threat . . .

Time to learn and change the title of the post . . . 'learn defensive cycling sense before you end up like this guy' . . .

julianwilson
    Free Member

Good point about eye contact, now i think about it I do this quite a bit but never would have thought of advising someone else to.

We have an excellent 'indecisive driver' mini roundabout near us (St Mary's bridge by new Tesco's in case any Plymouth peeps reading) and both on bike and in the car eye contact is a great indicator of both whether someone is watching and also whether they realise they can pull onto the roundabout now…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ouch, not good. But that was definitely a right turn going on there, so signals needed by cyclist. Only time I think you could legitimately get away without signalling on that approach is if you were taking the road the green car came from.

samuri
    Free Member

Good point about eye contact,

Yeah, works most of the time but this morning a guy was walking along the pavement, looked round at me, looked me straight in the eye and then walked out onto the road. I'm doing 25mph, he's less than 5 metres in front of me. The tyres actually screamed as I hauled the front of the bike round him and we brushed shoulders. Very nearly came off. Actually, the entire ride was puntuated by appallingly bad road users for some reason today.

Drac

The highway code is somewhat irrelevan

Well giving away to the right on a roundabout is pretty important, having watched the video again none of the 3 users approaching that roundabout showed any intention of doing that. Yes the Mondeo was a moron, the cyclist didn't hepl matters with his balls out approach but the other car to his right also was entering without taking any notice of the other users.

So like I said at the start, too many muppets don't know how to use a roundabout.

RealMan
    Free Member

Treat them all like idiots, a lot of the time you'll be right.

Agreed.

Had that same thing happen to me on a roundabout, with a two lane entrance to it. Car in the lane closest stopped, woman in the car in the other lane just pulled straight out and I went into the side of her. Hurt lots, picked myself up, picked bike up, swore at her lots, then went on my way. I was indicating. Didn't help.

project
    Free Member

Houns, hope you make a good recovery, perhaps tyou could send the driver a leaflet from SPECSAVERS, they have special offers on glasses.

What injuries did you sustain.

Olly glad you made a recovery as well.

jon1973
    Free Member

ill see if i can find any "melon head" photos some time

Olly – did you find those other photos? I want to see your melon head. 😆

Celery
    Free Member

The mondeo reaches the roundabout and decides to accelerate ahead of the car to its left, which had already entered the roundabout! i believe the Mondeo drivers attention was completely focused on getting around the r/bout ahead of the other car and didn't even see cyclist until it was too late.

tron
    Free Member

I thought that myself – if he hadn't hit the cyclist, he'd have hit the Audi. A lot of old gimmers simply shouldn't be driving without some serious re-education in the rules of roundabouts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What every car driver should be made to watch’ is closed to new replies.