• This topic has 75 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • What do you wish you knew when you were younger…
  • chewkw
    Free Member

allthegear – Member

That people are actually pretty good, really. That no matter how shocking you think people might find things about you, generally they just learn to accept and deal with it in their own little way.

They are only good if you stay out of their way and let them do as they like or benefit them. Yes, most people accept them in their own little ways but these are the good ones but most have the tendency to encroach on others. They want more.

That the longer you fret over a massive decision, the less time you have to reap the reward of having made it

The problem with a massive decision is that it create a norm for others to follow and that most people just have to suffer for it.

I am afraid I can’t afford fab Nicolai bikes … :mrgreen:

Midnighthour
    Free Member

That self belief and self confidence are more important than any qualification in the world.

That schools and parents both seek to undermine self confidence and self determination with alarming frequency.

That nearly every qualification can be obtained at a later point in life, so screwing up at school or not doing higher education is not the end of the world people tell you it is.

People who are ‘doing things for your own good’ are usually intent on helping themselves and don’t care about negative impacts on you.

allthegear
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like you have had a good experience of other people, chewkw??

And, somehow, I doubt my own massive decision is likely to encourage others to follow me… 🙄

Rachel

philconsequence
    Free Member

People who are ‘doing things for your own good’ are usually intent on helping themselves and don’t care about negative impacts on you

unless they’re a nurse or doctor 😉

its easier to put on weight than lose it.
    you only get as much out of life/friendships/jobs etc as you put into them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

And this too:

When your attractive friend Sonia from Toulouse invites the 19 year old you in for coffee after a night out, it might not[/I] be literally coffee that she’s thinking of

Midnighthour
    Free Member

“unless they’re a nurse or doctor “

Hell no, they just want the money 😉

D0NK

drinking lots of cider makes you act like a dick

and drugs aren’t necessarily bad mmmkay

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

She may good great naked but if she has got a few “issues” going on then run a mile.

D0NK

That self belief and self confidence are more important than any qualification in the world.

but those things without some sort of knowledge or skill to back them up are pretty useless.

Neil_Bolton – Member

Never marry a woman.unfortunately you wouldn’t have been able marry a bloke, happily this will soon be remedied.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

“but those things without some sort of knowledge or skill to back them up are pretty useless.”

Why assume someone has no ability or skills? You are exactly the problem – assuming no paperwork means people are dumb or useless. People coped for hundreds of years doing amazing skilled things without the paperwork we have now.

Self believe is what leads you to make use of or explore skills and abilities you may otherwise be afraid to even try.

peterfile
    Free Member

People coped for hundreds of years doing amazing skilled things without the paperwork we have now.

Doh.

Skillz are skillz.

All paperwork does is provide a way of quickly demonstrating someone can actually do what they say they can, and to a required standard.

“hello, I’d like to drive an HGV for you”
    “great, can I see your licence please?”
    “pffft, I don’t need one of those, I’ve got loads of self-confidence and self-belief”

RobHilton
    Free Member

Licence scenario very different educational bits of paper.
    The most disruptive and unhardworkingest person I’ve had the great misfortune to “work” with was exceptionally well qualified.

And a backstabbing, selfish, greedy, childish excuse for a human being :mrgreen:

emsz
    Free Member

Don’t drink as much, it won’t help. the people that love you aren’t who you think.

take a deep breath and be more honest.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Kitchen sinks aren’t for being washed naked in by mother…

D0NK

Why assume someone has no ability or skills? You are exactly the problem

I didn’t make that assumption I merely pointed out that one without the other can be detrimental, kinda related to my drink/drugs point 🙂

<edit> my last 2 jobs were gained without having any relevant qualifications whatsoever (so I agree with your general point) but pretty sure I’d have got the sack soon after if I didn’t have some skillz to back up my confidence

alpin
    Free Member

-do what makes you happy.
    -find a job that you enjoy and chuck in those you don’t; which leads me to…..
    -avoid responsibility.
    -don’t bow in to peer pressure or follows “trends”.
    -woman aren’t the angles/evil bitches that you are led to believe.
    -don’t take too many drugs, but do take drugs, but only if you want to.
    -don’t end up dependant on drugs.
    -most people are nice.
    -money isn’t everything, but it helps.
    -christmas is a joke.
    -wet dreams are cool.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That self belief and self confidence are more important than any qualification in the world

This (inverted V, inverted V) is undoubtedly THE only peice of advice anyone should abide by.

bigblackshed

Rob Hilton – Member
    Licence scenario very different educational bits of paper.
    The most disruptive and unhardworkingest person I’ve had the great misfortune to “work” with was exceptionally well qualified.

And a backstabbing, selfish, greedy, childish excuse for a human being

Very true.

+1 for confidence and self belief. Although it can be a chicken and egg thing. Sometimes you need some else to believe in you before you do.

Ride bikes more. Surf more. Buy that van you always wanted. Talk to more girls.

Don’t waste my time on that basket case called Cathy.

ski
    Free Member

That asking out a policeman’s daughter, by turning up pissed in the middle of the night, throwing stones at her window, while standing in the middle of their flower bed, singing, their daughters name, followed by ‘show us you tits’……

Might just, on reflection, not be a good idea. 😕

zbonty

Lol @ ski but haven’t we all?
    Some painfully pertinent advice at this juncture in my life. Any one got a time machine going spare?

slowjo
    Free Member

She may good great naked but if she has got a few “issues” going on then run a mile.

How many of us here have worked that one out too late? Wasted ****’ years of my life on a weirded out bunny boiler, to no avail. Luckily I had the gumption to call it off two weeks before we were due to get spliced.

Smoking (baccy) sucks.

Too much beer too often makes you an arse and somewhat larger than you give yourself credit for (in the belly department).

I should have given it at least five years before going to uni. I really didn’t get the most out of it when I went.

Shovelling barley and malt for a gap year*, isn’t as good as travelling the world. (* They weren’t called gap years then, it was called having a year off/ a year dossing about etc).

I should have gone to that Pink Floyd concert (The Wall) when offered a free ticket.

Otherwise…. tons of stuff.

Cougar

This (inverted V, inverted V) is undoubtedly THE only peice of advice anyone should abide by.

Shift-6.

Aristotle
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    On a serious note…that a year flies by and that getting out of Uni and getting a job could wait a few years while you bum around the world doing the shit you’ll never have time to do later.

Indeed.

& don’t spend most of your 20s (if you have no dependents/responsibilities) in a job that you don’t like or enjoy because you don’t know what else you could do and you’re too cautious to take off and try something else that you might be better at.

alex222
    Free Member

whilst parts of an acid trip are scary. you must persevere; you may one day split space time evenly down the middle; though probably not.

Klunk
    Free Member

to get out of this god forsaken shit hole of a country when I had the chance.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

to get out of this god forsaken shit hole of a country when I had the chance

I thought this, acted upon it and went travelling, spent time in Cambodia, etc, realised we are unbelievably lucky to live in such an advanced, wealthy and tolerant country, despite what the Daily Mail may say… 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a) I wouldn’t have listened
    b) I’m still finding out
    :o)

alpin
    Free Member

Klunk – Member

to get out of this god forsaken shit hole of a country when I had the chance.

**** off then… there are plenty more willing to take your place. the UK is a good country to be in.

D0NK

Spot on sfb

allmountainventure
    Free Member

That nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. 💡

jimster
    Free Member

A little application goes a long way….

Follow your dreams

Most importantly –

Be who you are and say what you feel,
    because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.

GrahamS

Saw this video and it seemed relevant:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGAQrEUaeU[/video]

PJM1974
    Free Member

I shouldn’t have turned down offers of sex just because I had unrequieted feelings for someone else. That’s just compounding misery.

I should have realised earlier that you can’t ask people to change, but that you can change how you react to them.

And I should never have watched My Best Friend’s Wedding. It is truly dire to a degree that only manual sewer clearing workers can ever understand. And any woman that wants to see My Best Friend’s Wedding with me should be ditched immediately.

Cougar

I shouldn’t have turned down offers of sex just because I had unrequieted feelings for someone else. That’s just compounding misery.

Amen, brother.

donald
    Free Member

Ewan
    Free Member

That Feb 2008 would be a really bad time to buy a flat.

Anything with tits or wheels is trouble.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What do you wish you knew when you were younger…’ is closed to new replies.