Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What do you do with your old tyres?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

As above really- can they be recycled or do they just go in the skip?

uplink
    Free Member

In the bin

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Get em to a tyre recycling place.
    All sorts of weird additives in our tyres.

glenp
    Free Member

[url=http://www.swrve.co.uk/velore.html]Re-used/purposed[/url]

kiwijohn

They make good chain stay protectors.

swisstony
    Free Member

they're all hanging up in my garage, just in case i'l need them again!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

glenp- saw that (Well, one just like it anyway) and they don't like knobblies- mine are worn but not that worn.

A bit of Googling shows that Cambridge County Council takes tyres for recycling, not much use to me in Brum though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Keep them in a box in the back of the garage, "just in case".

I assumed everyone else did the same, but perhaps I'm a bit of a Mr Trebus.

tinsy
    Free Member

I think you can get them to hang as ornaments from lamposts and stuff like that.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

they're all hanging up in my garage, just in case i'l need them again!

Mine too, along with various other bits of worn out kit. Usually I can't bring myself to bin them so I put them in the shed and forget about them, so I can rediscover them in 6 months and then bin them.

takisawa2

Turn them inside out & use as commuter slicks.

robgarrioch

There's recycling centres dotted all over the place in south Scotland – some bigger ones have tyre sections, dunno how developed the scene is in the deep south; council websites usually give a pointer.
    + handy for the back wheel if you use a turbo-trainer; maybe a winter cycling club would have them. Unless the tyre-nazis attend – 'which tyre for my turbo?!'

Drac

Chuck them in trees and over lampposts.

tinsy
    Free Member

It took all my willpower to bin a worn out chain cassette and front rings the other day, bearing in mind it was completely wasted with no chance of vever doing another turn… Its odd to have that inner fight to bin it.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Give them to these guys

(Unless they're totally trashed) It's a really great project, so if you're in Bristol and have any old tyres or bikes/bike bits – please bear them in mind.

djglover
    Free Member

I burn them in the garden

uplink
    Free Member

There's recycling centres dotted all over the place in south Scotland – some bigger ones have tyre sections, dunno how developed the scene is in the deep south; council websites usually give a pointer.

Our council sorts all the waste in the bins & separates anything they can for recycling
    I find it mildly amusing that you can't actually cycle into a lot of recycling centres

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Landfill bin or recycle bin?

uplink
    Free Member

Landfill

bigyinn
    Free Member

tinsy – Member
    It took all my willpower to bin a worn out chain cassette and front rings the other day, bearing in mind it was completely wasted with no chance of vever doing another turn… Its odd to have that inner fight to bin it.

OMG me too. Mine was completely fecked when i last rode it and yet the voice in your head tells you to keep hold, just in case.
    It explains why i have about 5 tyres in the shed though….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ha ha sounds like I'm not the only hoarder of worn out kit, although to be fair I buy new tyres way before the old ones wear out, just because…

scaredypants

tinsy – Member (& drac)
    I think you can get them to hang as ornaments from lamposts and stuff like that.

You're confusing tyres with bags of dogshit, I think (jsutifiably in some cases)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Cut them into strips and use them for bondage sessions with your other half

miketually
    Free Member

Mine go to the Council tip/recycling centre. There's a place for tyres.

And you can cycle into it. Well, I've ridden a bike in and the guys just chatted to me about the bike, so I assume it's allowed.

uplink
    Free Member

You can just put them in the bin now Mike – at least, that's the way I read it

OH – & while you're here, why the hell is the college closed? – is it so you can do testing duties for shedsmoke?

miketually
    Free Member

You can just put them in the bin now Mike – at least, that's the way I read it

Yeah, I'm not sure what they pull out with the clever machinery. Only stuff that they can make a profit on selling, I think. If it's cheaper to pay the landfill tax, it might get landfilled.

OH – & while you're here, why the hell is the college closed? – is it so you can do testing duties for shedsmoke?

Otherwise we poor hard-working teachers would work too many days each year. Seriously. 🙂

Taz

Yesterday took a load of old 'just in case' tyres down to the recycling centre.

Figured that having 20+ semi used tyres was getting a little silly

soobalias
    Free Member

part worns get donated to needy causes
    very worns get stuck on the boys bikes till they wont hold a tube anymore
    then off to the recycling centre.

TimP
    Free Member

Mr Trebus!!!

Nice one 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Gimp mask, . . . knobbly side in!!

fozzybear
    Free Member

So THATS what wilber does with his old tyres Keith!!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What do you do with your old tyres?’ is closed to new replies.