• This topic has 55 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • What disc wheels for my Kaffenback?
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

PS. Have built Halo aero rims as well – it’s *very* irritating when you lose the nipples in the rim… 😉

MrBlond
    Free Member

PPS. Those H Plus Son rims look good though

grum
    Free Member

Cheers MrBlond, seems to be mixed reviews on those TB14s – some people saying they are a bit tricky to build/keep true. Might not be best for a first build as you point out about A23s.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/h-son-tb14-rims-available-yet-experiences-20318.html

The TB14s do look pretty sexy though. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I’m thinking maybe the hubs are 36h back and 32h front but it just has 32/36 listed by mistake for each.

They sell these as a pair which are 20 front and 24 rear and marked as such.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novatec-Road-bike-hubs-A291SB-F482SB-320g-R-H-Blk-fit-Shimano-SRAM-Campagnolo-/290627691388?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aac2a37c

Although these are the same hubs I bought in a different colour, and both are marked 32h, so god knows!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novatec-Mountain-bike-DISC-hubs-D711SB-D712SB-408g-pair-Wht-fit-Shimano-SRAM-MTB-/271064681421?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1cb6cbcd

Answer my messages damn you Ian28803! Then I can get some hubs ordered and get on with my life. 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

What spacing is the Kaffenback? And does it matter if you plug a 135mm rear wheel into it (if it’s 130mm)?

grum
    Free Member

I found a forum thread somewhere with someone saying they had asked Planet X and been told it was 132.5, but that 135mm would be fine.

MrBlond
    Free Member

We need a “rate my wheels” thread

grum
    Free Member

OK got a reply and the hubs are actually 32/32 – which does mean Aerotrack’s are back on the table. 🙂

grum, re rims the A23s are very nice, have them on my ‘sunday’ road bike (and they work well as claimed with a 23mm tyre – this is probably irrelevant if you’re looking at touring tyres though), but I’m not convinced they’re as strong as Open Pros (disclaimer: no evidence to back this up at all) which I have toured on etc.

I do have some 23mm tyres that came on the PX Superlight I bought originally, but at the moment I am using 28C Schwalbe Delta Cruisers. I would like to be possibly be able to use the 23mm tyres on occasion, but I’m more likely to have something around 28C on most of the time I think – the roads are knackered around here and I’m a bloater. 🙂

I just wonder if I would be better with a wider rim like the A23, in case I want to put 32-35C cyclocross tyres on, I think the Open Pros have a maximum recommended tyre width of 28C (though I know you can go bigger without too many issues).

That thread about building the A23s is not encouraging though. I’ve had a quick read of the Roger Musson book but I need to read a few bits again.

woody2000

I have 135mm hubs in my Kaff (new one), and it needs no force to get the wheel back in, so I’m saying it’s 135mm spaced. 🙂

MrBlond
    Free Member

A23s are nice with 23mm tyres because they make the tyre come up a bit fatter (more like 25mm on my 700×23 Conti 4 seasons) and you can run at a slightly lower pressure – entirely subjectively they ‘feel’ like you have a bit more grip etc, but then just buying a pair of 700×25 tyres would have been cheaper 😉

Have run 700×37 touring tyres on Open Pros with no issues, daresay people use wider.

nedrapier

indeed!

terrahawk – Member
    I’ve had a 2.4″ Racing Ralph on an Open Pro. Bit wibbly wobbly at lower pressures, but it made it through a 24 hour race.
    A 2.1″ Small Block 8 was spot on.

on my thread here: what-all-purpose-29er700c-disc-rim

terrahawk know his onions and puts kit through more than I do, so that was good enough for me!

grum
    Free Member

Right, high time I stopped faffing about – just ordered some Open Pro CDs. £91.90 delivered from Parker International.

Just need to do some measurements and work out spoke lengths. I’m thinking DT Competition Spokes from bike-discount.de.

Haven’t looked into nipples yet really – is brass the way to go?

MrBlond
    Free Member

Yup.

nedrapier

yup.

nedrapier

Just to warn you: if you’re tempted to go on the web to check your ERD measurement of the Open Pro, there are days’ and days’ worth of forum arguments about whether its this or that, how it should be measured, how deep the spoke is in the nipple… who’s a bastard etc.

Go with the wheelpro method, check with sheldon if you fancy. Measure a few times round the rim and take an average.

grum
    Free Member

Aight brass it is then.

Thanks ned – I was going to just religiously follow the wheelpro instructions for everything, but I was wondering about just looking them up.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What disc wheels for my Kaffenback?’ is closed to new replies.