Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What did you want to do in 2011 and have you done it?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Never been a fan of things like ‘next year I am going to go to the gym more’ but last year I put together a list of things I wanted to do in 2011.

Get a new bike – Done changed to a 5 Spot in January
    Ride 52 Times – Managed to get 41 done which might be the best I ever do
    Start a family – Baby due in February so riding will be restricted in 2012
    Be able to climb at 6C – Got to 6B, need to lose some more weight to make it to 6C
    See more of my friends and family who don’t live in Bristol – Suppose I managed it but mainly due to a lot of weddings this year and all the stag do’s etc that go with them.
    Ride 10 places I have never been – Got 6 in which is annoying, would have done 9 but I broke a bone in my foot which cancelled a long weekend in the lakes.

Next year I am putting together another list but a bit shorter!

Ride more than 41 times – Optimistic for me but worth a punt
    Keep Climbing at 6B
    Ride the lake and peak district

First ride of 2012 is in the diary for Monday and have the Brechfa Enduro mid Jan so just need to find time for another 39!

timraven

Did the Wales end to end, Llandudno to Port Talbot, which was epic, even though it rained everyday.

Did 24/12 24hr solo came just above middle of the field, but feel I could do better. Not sure that I want to do it again though 😕

End of the year turned to worms, so hoping to get a whole good year in 2012

Hohum
    Free Member

Survive being 40 – tick
    Settle into my new company and job – tick
    Stay off the cigarettes – tick
    Get reasonably fit – tick
    Go to a trail centre – tick
    Be a good Dad and husband – err, I guess that you would have to ask my wife and children about that one 😉

Not a bad year really

willard

So…

Wanted to do a triathlon – haven’t done one yet
    Wanted to quit smoking – Done, although it is still early days
    Wanted to be a dad – Not yet.

That’s about it really.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’ve got worms? 😯 How unpleasant. 🙁

I wanted to make new positive relationships, gain more understanding and control over who I am, and to design, produce and sell something. Which I have done on all three counts.

A long way to go, but I’ve achieved a lot, I think.

Onwards and Upwards. 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

Wanted to buy my own place – started the process, only another 24 years to go to finish it.

🙂

sc-xc

Kept my job and got my black belt.

I would have liked to ride more, but life gets in the way sometimes so I have been mainly restricted to the commute.

tails
    Free Member

Generally it was shit got down to 11.12 stone on the idave I’m now 13.5stone if only I could afford a gastric band! This ment all my running times increased, I now have no motivation to achieve anything in my life other than sit in pubs or go on facebook. I genuinely even find it hard applying for new jobs although I am slowly filling out the mother of all forms to try and get a job in Korea! To top off my year my dad died on xmas day after a 2 year balle with alzheimer’s! yay to the f**king world!

Congrats to the rest of you!

MoreCashThanDash

Wanted to try audax riding – did it and loved it, but need to get a couple of 200km rides in next year, was only playing last year

Wanted to ride 5000 miles – ended up 632 miles short, and half of my mileage was commuting. Still not cracked 1000 miles on the MTB in a year.

Maybe next year…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jeeze Tails that’s harsh mate. 🙁

Hope 2012 is a much better year for you.

donsimon
    Free Member

+1, keep on keeping on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get much better at jumping and do some tricks.

Moved away and focused on getting better all round instead, pretty happy anyway.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Measure TSY’s and Philly’s bodyfat percentage using my patented method. Tick.

tails
    Free Member

I’m sure it will be there is nothing quite like waking up on your mates sofa on xmas day to a message from my mother telling me he’s gone! Then of course clever me decides to hit the bottle.

Anyway Jan 2nd 2012 I plan to cut the booze for a month and lay off the bread and pasta, thankfully I’m enjoying running again which does help. Hopefully I can find a job where I get to help people as opposed to CAD all day!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get my career back on the right track – Done (Those post-its are flying off the shelves! 🙂 )
    Learn to ski better – Partially done!
    Ride more – Not done. Been working too hard.

Tails, not much I can say or do would help, but for what little it’s worth, my thoughts are with you and yours.

anagallis_arvensis

I wanted to ride a bike again…….. Not done it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Expose plastics. Tick.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I didn’t set any goals for 2011 and don’t feel I achieved much as a result so got some planned for 2012.

I am going to enter (and hopefully complete) my first Olympic distance triathlon. Thinking of Maldon or Heybridge if anyone is in Essex and fancies joining me that would be fantastic.

The house will be finished this year as I can’t stand the DIY dragging on any longer.

I will change my working hours to improve my mental wellbeing.

Linda
    PS
    Seriously if there’s anybody in Brentwood or nearby that wants to do some triathlon training I’d be happy to meet up

willard

Got a friend in MK that’s planning on doing an olympic distance in 2012. Is that too far?

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thanks Willard
    MK is a bit far, its a good hours drive.
    My old training buddy has got a weird muscle/connective tissue disorder that means his days of exercising are effectively over …. its made me more determined to give it a go

_tom_
    Free Member

I did everything I wanted to do. Lost more weight, am comfortably in 32″ jeans and medium t-shirts now. Went over to Canada for a bit and had an awesome summer riding at Whistler. Wish I could’ve stayed longer but ran out of money and couldn’t find a job there. Managed to get into a job I really enjoy when I got home so I can’t complain at all 🙂

ton

wanted to get my heart mended……failed
    wanted to ride properly again…..failed
    wanted to lose weight……epic failed

worst year of my life…….success

cynic-al
    Free Member

Run a marathon, check.
    Not be working for a ****, check (no, I wasn’t self employed)
    Try some new biking, check-created 2 new bikes, bought 3 more.
    Do a decent bike trip, check-600 miles in 5 countries

2+ marathons
    Get a job
    More bike trips and camping

Sue_W
    Free Member

And the other side of Ton’s 2011

– been an all round good guy : success
    – supported others who’ve needed a helping hand or kind word : success
    – faced up to adversity and proactively considered alternatives : success

Ton – you are not a failure!

As for my 2011:

– deal with the end of my previous relationship : mainly a success (but occassionally still a work in progress!)

– have some positive adventures and try new things : success (went climbing in Spain and mountaineering in the Alps)

qwerty
    Free Member

Leave London… we are now near Stroud, Gloucestersire 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Complete MSc and find a job – done
    Improve health – epic fail

Top.Dog
    Free Member

A weekend away on the bike carrying everything i would need – check
    Ride a 100 miler – check
    Ride a 200k – check
    Ride a 200k every month – Failed after 3 months (December!)

Next year
    Ride a 100 miler off road – Kielder 100
    Ride a 200k every month for a year
    Ride a 300k
    Ride a 400k
    Ride a Scottish C2C

warton
    Free Member

OP, what does :

Be able to climb at 6C – Got to 6B, need to lose some more weight to make it to 6C

Mean, are you talking about bike climbing? or actual rock climbing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like sport climbing to me.

Special_ized_Jamie

Yeah climbing, actually pleased with my climbing this year. Did some routes I have bailed on in the past but still not quite where I want to be.

I like the be a good dad comment. Never thought of that for 2012, thought it would be hard to be a bad dad before the baby reaches one but pron not.

For everyone who had a sh*t 2011 things always get better. My 2010 was really lame but I stopped caring about all the things I couldn’t control and concentrated on those that I could and it all came good eventually.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What did you want to do in 2011 and have you done it?’ is closed to new replies.