Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What defines a 'superbike'?
  • tomhoward

(Yes, obviously I mean a bicycle, smartarse…)

From the other thread, what makes a bike a super bike, rather than just a bike?

Discuss…

ads678

I think all mine are super, others would disagree though.

Surely ‘superbike’ just means really expensive!! The performance of the bike is down to the rider.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not a term people use in the real world, is it?

relliott6879
    Free Member

I suppose I’ve always imagined it to be a bike beyond the financial or practical reach of Joe Soap. A pro racer’s factory ride or something that has been built with money no object, to be the fastest/lightest/strongest etc it can physically be.

tomhoward

It’s not a term people use in the real world, is it?

😆

Part of me hopes so.

‘Nice bike…’

‘Oh, it’s not a bike, it’s a superbike’

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The well worn phrase when it comes to bikes is you can pick two from the following three criteria; cheap, strong, light. superbike = cheap, strong, light

If something was described as a superbike then my interpretation would be that it was built to be as good as it can possibly be (in the mind of the builder/designer) without being constrained by cost.

DanW
    Free Member

“Superbikes” used to be a thing but now 99% of bikes are pretty damned good and all bloody expensive so the playing field is somewhat leveled. They are all just “bikes” now 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Enve

downhilldave

Strong, light and probably expensive. Think you have a few that qualify 😉 Or don’t you like the term?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Built to be the best they can be regardless of cost, in what ever material the builder chooses.

Think Parlee, Crumpton, Time, Moots, Passoni, Mosaic, Waterford, Pegoretti, Zullo, Jaegher etc……

DanW
    Free Member

Not much on the MTB front any more though is there?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A 1000cc motor. There are no super bicycles.

[/smartarse]

eddie11
    Free Member

Anything that includes the words cinelli and laser.

mogrim

5thElefant has it. If you have to pedal, it’s not a superbike however nice it may be.

andyrm
    Free Member

While most MTB’s are bloody brilliant these days, there are superbikes for sure – I’d define them as the ones with either cost no object or ridiculously well thought out tweaks. Remember seeing Nico’s Spicy Team up close in Feb – custom linkage, personal shock tune, needle rollers instead of DU bushes, wide carbon front rim and standard alloy rear. The whole thing looked battered as it was his testbed/preseason local racing bike, but was anything but normal. That for me, is the essence of a superbike.

dropoff

The Rider.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Super cos it’s race-winning and something you can’t have

TiRed

Something somebody else is paid to ride.

somafunk

This is as close asi have came to an actual super bike, Brendon Fairclough’s Honda gearbox bike from the worlds at Fort William back in 2007

DanW
    Free Member

Unobtainable yes, but just a normal mech in a fancy shiny casing and far less exciting than all the various rumours of what it could have been…. :/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Meaningless word! I pray it doesn’t catch on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The level of unobtainable does it for me, or the bike you look at and and think of a way to improve any part of it even with unlimited funds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And Al I reckon it’s a word that’s been knocking around for a long time now.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What defines a 'superbike'?’ is closed to new replies.