Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What chainring for 1×9 commuter project + bonus question!
  • DT78
    Free Member

Needs to be able to fit onto a LX triple chainset and hopefully be cheap and cheerful. Anyone use DMR saturn rings? is there anything a bit cheaper out that people recommend?

Plus bonus question my commute is not too hilly, cassette is a standard mountain bike one (11-34?) I was thinking a 40 – 44t chainring – anyone use this ratio or is it a bit too high?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a 36 ring on my commuter. but I live in a hilly city and like to spin. span out at around 30 mph and could climb at a nice cadence at around 5 mph. Might be too low if you like to mash the pedals

ourmaninthenorth

44 wil be ideal. I used to run my MTB SS'd with 44×16. Flat commute, though I did tackle hills with it.

DT78
    Free Member

Reckon once it's built (still need a few bits) I'll test with a normal 44t ring before spending out on a specific ring.

Anyone tried middleburn DH rings?

scaredypants

unramped/no cut-outs – after that not sure what extra cash really gets you. Longevity maybe, but you don't even know for sure what size you want so I'd go cheap.

Charlie the bikemonger has some FSA ones for about 20 quid

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I stuck a 53t on the front of my commuter with 1×9 as an experiment, and it's excellent! I've never not made it up a hill, and there are some stinkers in Glasgow! Do you have 700c wheels or 26"?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Although, the biggest you will be able to get on a LX is 48t. That's maybe more sensible 8)

DT78
    Free Member

Wheels are 26" for now, I may go to a 29" on the front in the future when funds allow. I'm thinking 44t 11/34 is the way to go, plus it means I can just reuse the LX outer ring.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I run a Middleburn 38 downhill ring on my 1×9. I needed to do a bit of cosmetic filling on my HT1 cranks but nowt major. It's fast enough on the roads with an 11/34 and has even done a few a night rides with some real nasty hills. I stuck it where the middle ring goes.

edit: don't run an outer ring on the outside as you'll be stressing the chain when you're in first

soobalias
    Free Member

44t will be fine for starters, the range on the cassette gives you gear inches between 33 and 103

play with sheldon to see how changing rings will help, or not http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

My commute is on road, on slicks at around 70Gi and what would be called a hilly route.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What chainring for 1×9 commuter project + bonus question!’ is closed to new replies.