Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • What bikes haven't I thought of? (long travel 29er)
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m after the same and though I change my mind regularly i’m starting to settle on the Transition Covert 29er build spec 2 (140mm front and rear). Colours are a bit plain, but I’m not that bothered about it looking too flash, attracts less attention that way.

chestrockwell

Had thought about changing my 5 last year but am hanging on to try Orange’s 140mm 29er. Never been a fan of big wheels but coming round to the idea.

big_scot_nanny

Can I recommend a company that has been at it longer than most?

I have a previous generation Ventana El Capitan, which is 130mm, and will take 140mm forks, and I love it. My fabulous do almost everything bike (although, for the alps, a very rough 3 days riding convinced me it was not enough bike!).

The new generation looks even more lovely, tapered headtube, bigger seat tube (30.9), 120 or 140 travel. I think I am riding 21″ btw, 6’4″ and a 34″ inseem. slammed 70mm 0 rise stem, and like a glove it fits, like a glove.

I would get one of these.

http://www.ventanausa.com/bikes/el-capitan/

Kev

Yetiman
    Free Member

This was my choice (although I already had a Nicolai Helius FR so it was a pretty obvious choice)… a 140mm travel Nicolai Helius AC 29er.

ditchvisitor
    Free Member

Ive recently built up a 2013 Ellsworth Evolution 29er, its epic!

wrecker
    Free Member

Maybe of little help as the Large Tallboys have a 24″ TT but, just in case;

http://www.probikeshop.com/sales/mtb-frames-c1207.html#typeSearch=1&page=2&order=asc&search=1207

Tallboy carbon frame 2099 Euro
    Tallboy alloy frame 1499 Euro

IA

I’ve gone for the horsethief, as it seemed the best compromise for what I wanted in a bike – and comes in a good size. Once it arrives and I’ve got it built I’ll post back…and how I get one once I’ve ridden it a bit.

I hear what folk are saying about the chainstays, but then they aren’t everything and it’s not been a huge issue for me before…but we’ll see. Pros and cons to long stays, as with everything!

MrTall
    Free Member

I have it’s predecessor, the Salsa Big Mama which has silly long chainstays (a std shimano chain has to be lengthened to fit a 3×9 drivetrain) and i’ve never had an issue with the handling and i also have a super short rear ended Honzo as well. Can’t say i really notice any difference in the real world.

Post up some pics once the Horsethief is done, it’ll be interesting to see it.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What bikes haven't I thought of? (long travel 29er)’ is closed to new replies.