• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what bike for 6'7" blerk? is 29er the way forward?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

bruv inlaw wants a bike, budget is a grand absolute tops. He's a stones through from In-a-leafun. I think he wants a 29er.

whaddafink?

69er
    Free Member

I think you're right. Your spelling and grammar however, are appalling 😉

therealhoops
    Free Member

datz cuz im down wiff da kidz innit 🙂

Daffy

Custom built for that size IMO

Shandy
    Free Member

Hardtails, probably a 29er but it'll be an off-the-peg Scandal or something for a grand.

For a full sus you could try and find a cheap Specialized in XL, I'm 6'3" and I ride a Large, the XL is clearly for freaks.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

you can get the older model Haro Mary XC for about £700, up to 20",

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b59s200p3453&rs=gb

Cheers Steve

TooTall
    Free Member

He needs a 29er. No doubt about that. He'll still have to shop about for a big enough frame and will need 21" plus a 400mm seat tube minimum.

Sam

Agreed, big wheels for sure, but he may struggle to get something big enough from stock frames. Most people that height tend to have the 'extra' in their legs, so look to something with a long seat tube. XL Singular for example. Unless he's after a rigid singlespeed doing it under a grand could be a struggle though.

MrTall
    Free Member

I'm 6'7" and have 2 29ers. 23" Spesh Rockhopper hardtail and 22" Salsa Big Mama Full suss. Love them both and find the whole 29er thing way better for me. I'd gladly offer him a try on mine but i'm in Brum so very unlikely he'll be anywhere near me.
    The spesh was £750 and a bargain for the money i thought (heavily upgraded now) but they don't seem to have much in a 29er variety this year. Your best bet would be the new Gary Fisher range which for 2010 go up to 23". He'll never get a test on one though and will have to just buy one unless you get lucky with trying someone elses. When i got my 23" it was one of only 2 in the country so they are pretty rare to say the least. Chevin Cycles in Leeds would be a good place to get info – they stock lots of 29ers (not 23" though) and sell fishers – they'll give him an idea of availability.
    I still have one 26" bike though so it is possible to fit on them (clubber on here is a big lad who went back to 262 from 29") if he prefers 26". Mine is a 22" singlespeeded Kona Hoss.

ton

hoops, i have a mint 21'' 29r frame, forks, rear alfined wheel to suit, seatpost, h/set, stem and a set of bb7 brakes all for the measley sum of £500 most of the stuff is less than 3 months old.

email in profile if interested..

therealhoops
    Free Member

will pass on the details, thanks all

clubber
    Free Member

I'm 6'5" and just can't get on with 29ers. Every one I've tried (I have a lot of similarly tall mates from my past as a rower who've bought into 29er) just makes riding feel like trudling along so I can't see the point in swapping to a bike that feels less fun. That said I'll keep trying them just to see.

ona29er
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" and got a Gary Fisher 29er – Mamba 21" frame earlier in the year. Love it – it fits me a treat and feels so much better than a 26. Huge fun and very quick. Not noticed anything slow about the handling in twisty stuff. Got it from Nevis Cycles in Fort William because they were the only folk I could find (I'm in Inverness) prepared to get one in for me to look at without buying first. Good service and a good price / discount. I would have a look at the rest of the Fisher 29er range – they use the same frames so upgrades are worthwhile. Hope it helps.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

fishers have a long top tube

I'm 6'3" and ride and ride a large and have ridden a medium and got away with it

an XL should be fine and get a thomson seatpost

69er
    Free Member

I've got a 20" Kona Unit and a L Gary Fisher Paragon. I'm 6'4". So small compared to your mate, but an XL in a Fisher will be close to perfect for him.

The big advantage of a 29er for a big blerk is that they don't feel 'under' you. And yes they do roll better! Great for rigid s/s.

If it matters, they also look far better in larger sizes, everything is much more in scale.

cb

I posted on here some time ago about 5 Spot frames that a US based shop was selling for 999 dollars. 24 inch frames that probably would do the job. Cheap even after postage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what bike for 6'7" blerk? is 29er the way forward?’ is closed to new replies.