Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What bike does it sound like I want?!
  • prawny

I’m looking at possibly upgrading my Voodoo Bizango (the last one) or maybe getting a new bike and passing the voodoo over to the wife/keep as a light duties/xc bike.

Problem is funds are limited, to the extent that a new bike on finance would be easier to manage than upgrades, and as such I’m looking at the smaller budget end of things. The other problem is I’m really not sure what sort of bike I want, and with the sort of cash I might have to spend test rides are going to be difficult.

I’ve quite enjoyed the Voodoo, but I do miss the playfulness of a smaller wheeled bike, I had a go on a mates xc full susser and even with a long stem and narrow bars it felt lively and chuckable. Also, on the DH runs (well run) over at Cannock, and up in Scotland I did wish I had something a bit slacker at the front.

All of these things combined are pointing me towards something a bit more Gnarr, but at the budget end so I think full suss is out. I’ve been looking at the X5 45650b or maybe pushing the budget to a whyte 901. But then at that budget, I’m not far off a Vitus Escarpe/Sommet, but then comes ongoing maintenance costs. Maybe a Fatty? or building up a BFe as cheap as possible?

Then I also think that I have quite enjoyed the voodoo, and could just get a slacker 29er frame and trasplant all the parts that will go, like a solaris or sherpa, but then they cost a bomb n all.

I’m so confusted. 😕

Edit- Reading that back, I could just word it best aggressive bike circa £1k or lower 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A red one.

woodster

You want a Calibre Bossnut.

zinaru
    Free Member

a brompton?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bird Zero.3 for £995?

I have one, very happy with it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a 26er to me!

prawny

All good options, please keep them coming.

Some have already been ruled out though, the bird I like but not slack enough I don’t think, although I’ve not ridden one and with family commitments unless someone (in fact one of two people!) I know buys one I won’t be able to swing a leg over one.

The bossnut looks good, but finance would be limited to a credit card, plus no way to fit a bottle cage (I’m oldskool) and I’m wary of the ongoing maintenance costs of a full susser, plus I like to feel superior when I beat my mates who are on £3k+ full suss gnarpoons.

Codeine is also an option, but is need new wheels too, or at least a rear, it starts getting expensive then and I’d be better off keeping the voodoo for spare/the wife and buying the £1500 one or whatever it is now. Plus the above smugness points I get.

A good 26er is definitlely an option, I’ve been keeping my eyes out for a summer season or other bargains but nothing jumping out at me at the moment.

woodster

I wouldn’t buy a bike to try and feel smug. No one else cares about your extra gnar-points from riding a hardtail.

New Bird Zero TR is slacker I think.

prawny

I’m only smug on the inside 🙂 half the time I’m not even riding. With them, I go out earlier and trust strava to make me feel good about myself. I like hardtails because they’re cheap too.

Good point on the tr, will check it out

Edit – on the other side, a hardtails makes a handy excuse when they inevitably start going faster than me 😆

chrishc777
    Free Member

A mate of mine has just put his covert up for £1000

Suggsey
    Free Member

An E-bike if you’ve buggered your knees and shat your pants 😆

cookeaa

e been keeping my eyes out for a summer season

Got one, and I won’t be getting rid of it for a while, but I would save your money and buy something more current now…

I’ve been looking at the X5 45650b

Me too but I am holding out for the inevitable carbon version, plus a bit for the also inevitable price drop.
    Basically I want my current bike, but lighter, and compatible with all the modern forks, seatposts and wheels…

Also the first thing I’ll do if I buy one off the peg from OO is replace all the SRAM drivetrain and braking junk with shimano… Plus get a dropper if its not got one, I reckon It’s going to be an extra £4-500 on top of the initial purchase price… So that bike is maybe a couple of years away for me right now…

You basically want a slack, tweener wheeled, Long forked, HT for hairy bolloxed, manly, gnarr that’s what 45650’s are for if you can live with the weight and crappy parts, otherwise budget for replacing half the parts within a year IMO or look at something else…

chrishc777
    Free Member

FWIW I rode a 456 for a year as a first bike and it was great, I enjoyed it so much I now have a C456 alongside the Covert.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What bike does it sound like I want?!’ is closed to new replies.