Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What baby carrier (for walking)?
  • mtbfix

For kiddy 1 we got a Mothercare back pack carrier so she could be toted around if we went walking, which we did occasionally. Now we have baby 2. He’s nearly 1 and weighs 13kg. We also have a dog so he’s in the carrier every day and it is killing my shoulders. Realistically I’m going to be lugging him about on dog walks for another year and I wonder if there us a carrier out there that holds toddlers and spreads the load better than the existing solution.

Any suggestions?

andybanks
    Free Member

Best £100 I’ve spent – https://www.littlelife.co.uk/product/child-carriers/ultralight-convertible-s3

Had so many great walks with my lad in this. Great bonding time.

FFJA
    Free Member

I have a Little Life cross country. Admittedly I’ve never used anything else, but it seems a winner to me on 1-2 hour walks in the sales with the dog and the 16 month old.

ross980
    Free Member

I have a barely used Littlelife Country s2 which I’m planning to put in the classifieds in the next few weeks once I get round to it [/salespitch]
    Either way, they’ve got sturdy padded straps so you distribute the weight equally between shoulders and hips, so probably ideal for what you are looking for.

spectabilis
    Free Member

An Osprey Poco served us very well.

richpips
    Free Member

Vaude for us.

PS. The Macpac one weighs a ton before you have a child in it.

backinireland
    Free Member

I have a macpac but go to an outdoor shop and try a few on to see what suits best

sockpuppet

Something a bit different than the ‘rucksack with a child on it’ idea, but I used an ergo with my first, and will be doing the same in a few months with the next.

Ergobaby

Closer to the slinging/wrapping thing, but worked for me. Btw, don’t go near slings etc: that way leads to madness if Mrs SP is any guide!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve got a Deuter kid comfort iii. It’s fantastic but it isn’t the lightest even before you add a 22lb (so lighter than yours I’m afraid) child into it. It’s also not cheap but using it a lot and dry happy toddler means more and longer walks. Adjustable back also means sweamrs can take a turn.

ukclimbing review

other options for me were Osprey and Macpac but Deuter bit cheaper and seemed to fit us better.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second the Kid Comfort 3. Lovely bit of kit, relatively light, plenty of storage, and has served us well, though not had as much use as I’d hoped. Getting it on fully loaded can be a bit of a faff, but that’s the only thing I haven’t liked about it. I may underfeed dd this Spring in order to get another 6 months out of it. Adjustability is fantastic. You even get a little velcro’d in mirror to check how the little one is. 😀

olly2097
    Free Member

We have a bushbaby pinnacle;

http://bush-baby.com/wordpress/back-carriers-shop-links/back-carriers/bushbaby-pinnacle/

Has suspension. Its awesome.
    My back is shagged and this is comfy and weight is equally distributed.

bigG
    Free Member

We have a little life voyager. It’s fantastic, the kids love it. It’s comfortable to carry, the wee ones would fall asleep being carried in it regularly so I guess it’s comfortable for them.

I like the amount of storage that the main unit has (enough to stop you having to bring along a separate bag for the pile of stuff kids seem to need). The removable day pack allows you to split that load if you want to, which can be handy.

I’ve used it on day long walks, it’s just like carrying a good quality rucksack.

MARTINJ
    Free Member

I’ve got a Vaude Swing Child Carrier that i am about to sell, as our little one is not quite so little anymore. it is in very good condition and could send you some pics if you like. It is a great piece of kit and our daughter loved going in it and I found it much comfier than a cheaper previous pack we had.

email martin at salmatec dot co dot uk

mtbfix

Where are you located, martinj? Keen to try before we buy this time.

MARTINJ
    Free Member

Hi, I’m in Hull.

mtbfix

YGM anyway

Tiger6791

Shameless plug but I’ve got a brilliant Littlelife one we don’t use anymore with all the accessories. I would sell now.

ransos
    Free Member

Another vote for the Littlelife cross country. Make sure you get the sun shade.

martinhutch

We used a littlelife one with our twins. Was a bit of a squeeze getting them both in, but was really comfy to carry and had enough pockets for all the crap you have to carry around.

*the squeezing them in thing was a joke.

Xylene
    Free Member

Kelty backpack carrier was the business for us.

mrblobby
    Free Member

We’ve tried a few and the one I use most often is the Beco Gemini. Son’s outgrown it and daughter is now in it. Can be worn front, facing in or out, and on the back, and it pretty comfy. Easy to get on and off. Used most days when dog walking.

ads678

I’ve used a mac pac, a no name one and a littlelife XC and the little life is the best by far. Well worth the £100 it cost, and I didn;t want to pay that for it originally. Had 2 kids in mine and plenty of use but was still in great condition. Just sold it on ebay for £60.

Very sturdy, comfy and quite light as well. Deffo recommended.

mark90
    Free Member

We got a Littlelife XC (I think, old model) for our first (now 8) and are using it again for our second (1). It’s done service with the cousins in between and still like new. I can carry the little ones round for hours with no discomfort, well no more than lugging around a proper 30lb ruc sac.

We also have a Manduca, similar to the Gemini linked above. Find this is handy for front carry when younger and shorter trips, school run, etc. But is not as comfy/supportive as the structured Littlelife carrier for longer walks. Jnr also seems happier for longer in the Littlelife, I think he finds it less restrictive.

wwaswas

Saw this today;

26th April 1962 – Graham Brown and his wife carrying their 17-day-old daughter Rosalyn in a carry-cot as they climb up Mount Snowdon in Wales. Rosalyn’s 19-month-old sister Susan is on Graham’s back. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images).

Was there any consideration for health and safety in the 60s? Little 19-month-old Susan looks as though she’s clinging on for dear life to the baby carrying device on her dad’s back, while the handles on the carry-cot holding 17-day-old Rosalyn don’t look too substantial. Eek.

fieldini
    Free Member

My other half runs a sling library so I get to try out a few of these. Latest one I find pretty comfortable is a sleepy nico. The beco as suggested above is a good choice too.
    Can’t say I have found any rucksack based carrier to be that great to be honest.

mtbfix

My other half runs a sling library

Not in Reading by any chance?

fieldini
    Free Member

Afraid it is in east lancashire. It is well worth seeking one out, they should have a selection of carriers (not just slings) to try out so you can find what is best for you.

Tiger6791

last try at whoreing mine

Littlelife XC with rain hood / sunshade & foot straps.

£60 collect near Reading 😀

huggis
    Free Member

Littlelife or one of these…

Thule Chariot

It is very surprising where you can take one of those plus the versatility of converting from bike to buggy to jogger…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAfDYbY9hac[/video]

mtbfix

last try at whoreing mine
    Little life XC with rain hood / sunshade & foot straps.
    £60 collect near Reading

How near?

Tiger6791

ish…..

Heathrow near

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What baby carrier (for walking)?’ is closed to new replies.