Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What am I going to do with my carrier bag bin…
  • jools182
    Free Member

When the 5p per bag charge comes in?

#firstworldproblems

ste_t
    Free Member

The charge came in whilst I was living in Wales. Tight bastards were trying to carry their shopping in their arms for the first few days

scaredypants

I’m going to feel sorry for the bin men when this happens – our wheelie bin’s going to be rank after a few weeks

hammyuk
    Free Member

Asda do tie handle bin bags the same size – already checked as I have one!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Survived well enough up here for the last year. Mind you our non recyclable hasn’t been emptied in 6 weeks or so and is still barely half full, guess its a case of whether enough gets put into other waste streams to reduce the ming to an absolute minimum.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do like many of us do. Use a bin that takes a normal black bag. Wash things like plastic that has held meat and as long as you recycle tins and bottles there will be bugger all except cleanish plastic in it.
    I reckon the “disposable ” bags should be a quid or banned.

phiiiiil

Whenever we get new bags they go into the dark depths of the cupboard under the stairs, even though we don’t use that many; we must have thousands in there by now. Assuming they haven’t all biodegraded beyond use I’m going to start selling them for 4p and make a killing.

bruneep

Checkout juggling is hilarious to watch. People spending £20+ then whining about 5p.

z1ppy

Shirely we should be used it, being as we’re all avid Lidi/Aldi shoppers.. they’ve always charged for bags (so you take your own!)

scaredypants

… and I’ll tell you something else – if they’re going to charge 5p they’d better sort out the flimsy shite things with holes ripped out of the bottoms. Some of them are barely worth “free”

nealglover
    Free Member

Wash things like plastic that has held meat and as long as you recycle tins and bottles there will be bugger all except cleanish plastic in it.

Do you not recycle the plastic too?

Plastic, paper, cardboard, metal and glass all go in one recycling wheelie bin here. Dead easy.

The landfill bin has barely nothing in it these days. We only put it out once a month, if that.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

hate checkout nazis JUST GIVE ME SOME **** BAGS

Cougar

Well, as a tree-hugger, I applaud it.

“Bags for life” are just that; I have them for life because they sit in the cupboard every time I go to the shops, meaning that I come back with yet more disposable carrier bags. It’s too easy for me to go “oh, I forgot” and just get more, so hopefully having to pay for them might spur me into making more of an effort to remember.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Its funny that I dont see shopping bags thrown around as litter more likely the crap from mcD’s, burger king, monster cans, beer cans, mini packets of haribo etc. My garden / food waste and recyclable goods bin used more

mattsccm
    Free Member

Around here its one cube bin that has glass and tins, another for paper and that’s it door to door. Landfill wheely bin is plastic wrappers etc. If we didn’t do that there would be no need for landfill 😆
    Cardboard isn’t recycled door to door but we use a spare wheely bin and big bags in that when we have a full one, say once a month it goes to the tip for recycle.
    We could , I suppose take that plastic to the tip for recycling. After all that’s all there is that we landfill. Thing is there seems to be too many types of plastic and that would probably for me push the storage too far.
    What else is there?

jambalaya
    Free Member

A convenient way for the supermarkets to boost profits whilst “saving the environment”, they don’t have to provide free bags, they make a profit and bags they sell either shopping or bin bags. Our shopping bags are never littered, either used as pedal bin bags or for a hunted other uses, like keeping muddy mtb shoes in etc

martinhutch

So who does the cheapest ‘bags for life?’

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use proper bin bags
    I use re-usable bags to carry shopping from Waitrose

Ain’t difficult..

kcal

Do you not recycle the plastic too?

Would love to but here they only take Type 1 & 2. Quite a lot is either unmarked or, often, Type 5 (food, I think).

scaled
    Free Member

Our plastic/glass/metal recycling all gets washed and put in a bin in the kitchen then emptied in to the wheelie bin. There’s a bin liner in there but that only gets changed every 5-6 empties as the vast majority of stuff gets washed properly (5 yr old occasionally will throw half a pot of yoghurt in there without mentioning it)

Cardboard gets left round the kitchen till i can be arsed to put it or goes on the compost.

Veg/meat waste goes in another bin in the kitchen before going in the green bin, this one’s pretty trick, the council provide corn starch based biodegradable bags for this one!

Landfill? Yeah that’s full of disposable nappies at the moment, oh the shame…

teasel
    Free Member

Wash things like plastic that has held meat

Do you not recycle the plastic too?[/quote]

Some plastics aren’t recyclable in some areas. If you blindly bung everything in the recycling bin then you’re probably putting in some stuff that shouldn’t be in there.

Edit : Beaten by a whole 3 minutes, too. ****!

the-muffin-man

My used carrier bag cubby hole will still get plenty of use.

There’s no way I’ll remember to take a bag for life with me to the supermarket. So I’ll always be buying bags.

binners

So who does the cheapest ‘bags for life?’

I dunno. But you could come and take a few of the approximately 3,689,736 I have sat in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, that I keep meaning to put in the car boot, but then forget, and buy another one, which then gets left in the porch, …….

GrahamS

Why are you all going to the supermarket anyway?

Online ordering – it’s the way to go. Order in the evening whilst sat on the sofa. Next morning a nice bloke shows up on your doorstep with all your shopping in plastic crates.

As for the charge, I’m all for it. It has been in force in Scotland and Wales for a while and has worked well.

fasthaggis

Binners

There’s more to you than there looks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Some plastics aren’t recyclable in some areas. If you blindly bung everything in the recycling bin then you’re probably putting in some stuff that shouldn’t be in there.

Well obviously I check first, but for us, almost everything we generate (plastics wise) is recyclable, and goes in the wheelie bin (apart from Yoghurt pots for some reason)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Try living in Hampshire – they take less than 50% of what they are legally obliged to recycle.
    Their explanation for this is “there is not a big enough market for us to sell the product on”
    No plastics other than drinks bottle, no tetrapaks, no aluminium foil of any kind, no glass, no magazines or newspapers and more.
    Glass has to go to the skips at one of the supermarkets – there aren’t any at the local tip.

perchypanther
    Free Member

ts funny that I dont see shopping bags thrown around as litter more likely the crap from mcD’s, burger king,

They’ll be charging you 5p for every brown paper bag that they hand you through the drive thru window.

Try getting a drive thru McD’s without a bag.

martinhutch

Binners – you should stand outside Tescos for an hour on the 5th with your bag mountain handing them out to the needy and pissed off.

teasel
    Free Member

No plastics other than drinks bottle, no tetrapaks, no aluminium foil of any kind, no glass, no magazines or newspapers and more.

That’s insane if those materials are going to landfill.

sbob
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Why are you all going to the supermarket anyway?

Discounted goods, free coffee, the fit bespectacled bird on till four, and all the lovely MILFage.
    Plus you can’t chat up a website to get cut price Comté.
    It’s walking distance as well, so more environmentally friendly than having it delivered.
    That’s definitely the main reason. 😀

GrahamS

I dont see shopping bags thrown around as litter

I do. But it’s not just a litter issue – it’s a resource and landfill issue.

England used 7,635,000,000 single-use plastic bags in 2014 – a figure that has risen by 21% since 2010.

That’s just not sustainable.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33644662]Sauce[/url]

teasel
    Free Member

They’ve become so thin and unfit for purpose these days that I wonder whether we’d be better off with recycled paper bags, especially if we’re going to be footing the bill.

steeble
    Free Member

Carrier bags are rubbish anyway, if you really want one whats the problem with paying 5p.
    Better off just taking one of the big ikea bags, fit all your shopping in and useful for carrying bike stuff in the car

hammyuk
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    That’s insane if those materials are going to landfill.

Some of it goes to the Waste to Energy Incinerators at Marchwood and Chineham but not much – nowhere near as much as should do.

steeble
    Free Member

Carrier bags are rubbish anyway, if you really want one whats the problem with paying 5p.
    Better off just taking one of the big ikea bags, fit all your shopping in and useful for carrying bike stuff in the car

Cougar

Binners – you should stand outside Tescos for an hour on the 5th with your bag mountain handing them out to the needy and pissed off.

You should stand outside Tescos for an hour on the 5th with your bag mountain selling them for 4p each.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What am I going to do with my carrier bag bin…’ is closed to new replies.