• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by core.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What all purpose 29er frame?
  • core

Firstly, apologies for yet another of my tedious ‘what bike?’ threads – but I think I’m getting nearer to the bottom of resolving my situation.

I have a 26″ soul, and a 29″ scandal, both with some nice bits, although I use them for different things, they’re too similar really.

I’ve decided (following my last thread) that I do want a full sus, this will be a 2nd hand frame (5 or Mega TR I think), and I’ll likely take the soul apart to build it up. So, soul frame to go in to storage or get sold.

That leaves me with the scandal for all other duties, but I’m not so keen on it for techier stuff, it’s a bit too race/xc focused for me I think.

So, I’ll be a little bit heartbroken to have split the soul up I think (as it’s my ‘nice’ bike, but a nice fresh 29er frame should get me over that and leave me with a capable 26″ full sus for the days away etc, and a decent hardtail for everything else (bikepacking, xc, trail, local rides etc).

But what frame? I’d be taking everything over from my scandal, including 100mm reba (though would like to try a rigid carbon fork, and get a lighter, tubeless wheelset at some point).

Obvious answer – Solaris? What about el mariachi? 2015 Genesis High Latitude? Swift? Anything I’m missing that’s blindingly obvious and should be in there, max £500 frame only?

Also, any opinions on how those I’ve listed compare?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Solaris and love it so am biased 😆 The Mk1 frames are going cheap (well £299) at the minute as Cotic bring in the update, small and medium only according to their site. The Mk1 can take 27.5+ wheels/tyres but the Mk2 is the update to specifically allow that and ensure clearance.

Stanton?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I will be getting a Solaris…so it must be good (although mk2 is designed for 120 forks?)

NormalMan

Another Solaris biased owner here.

I’d look over the geometry charts etc of the Mk1 & Mk2 to see if one suits more than the other and then either spend the budget on the latest version or grab a bargain.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Original Solaris is GBP299 in small and medium sizes ATM

I think that’s pretty close to being a no-brainer.

🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve used my Solaris for all the riding you mention plus Alpine trails (it’s the only MTB I have), it’s more than capable. Perhaps a better way of putting it is that I’m not good enough to get past its limits 😳

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ahhhh the mundane and safe bet, why not add a little something and get a Salsa.

be different live a little.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a mk1 Solaris. Lovely riding bike. It could only take a 120mm fork, didn’t have the stand-over for the reach I wanted and couldn’t take a proper size 2.4 tyre, so I ended up with something else a bit more distant from the ‘classic trail hardtail’ that the Solaris evokes.

Clobber
    Free Member

Gotta be swift… awsumz and takes B+ tyres too!

ben98
    Free Member

I’ve got a surly Karate Monkey and my dads got a singular swift, get one of those they’re both great!

philb88
    Free Member

Getting in early, what size is the Scandal frame??

retrobri
    Free Member

I have a swift, awesome ride. However, just swapped bits over to the Solaris (as it was on offer, duck egg blue and can run 120mm)

2 rides so far…even more awesome.

good luck

nuke

Can’t see any point to getting the Solaris over the Scandal other than you want a new frame. 😕

Especially given this comment…

though would like to try a rigid carbon fork, and get a lighter, tubeless wheelset at some point

Which sounds like you want a light, xc bike

I have a Scandal 29er and it is an all rounder…currently has 120 forks, dropper, big rubber etc but equally has done long xc (sdw) and winter grind

:edit: having checked the cotic site, I see your point more if you’re considering the new Solaris over the original

dantsw13

I’m still on my Titus Fireline as my “go to” bike.

duncanicook
    Free Member

I have a medium 2014 titanium Salsa Mariachi frame which is a great do it all bike which I Also just happen to be wanting to sell!!

sandwicheater

Keep the Scandal, is an excellent ‘all purpose 29er’. If you’ve a ‘new frame’ itch that just needs scratching, get something bouncy. Not sure your size but there is a lovely medium Salsa Horsethief in the classifieds (nothing to do with me).

thomthumb
    Free Member

solaris is only 2 degrees slacker (HA) and similar elsewhere.

how about an angleset?

Clink

Not sure your size but there is a lovely medium Salsa Horsethief in the classifieds (nothing to do with me).

Why thank you kindly sir – that will be mine! 😀

benp1

Solaris owner here

Gets used for all MTB duties, including bikepacking and the odd bit of double trailer towing with 2 kids in it (although I’m now doing this on my arkose)

I went Solaris after asking for advice on here. Was very close to getting a Kinesis FF29 but I’m really happy with my choice

richellicott
    Free Member

El Mariachi owner here. Great bike! So far I’ve only used it as a rigid single speed but I love how easily it can be turned into something completely different

takisawa2

I’d cobble another £95 & get a Rooster.

core

If I was to go with the Solaris, I was thinking the original version, but at 6ft I’m right on the crossover between the medium and large, and knowing they were designed with a layback post fear I’d end up with a layback (which I detest the look of) and a long stem to make it fit, as there are no new large frames left. Also not so keen on the tyre/mech clearance thing, as would be wanting to run 2×10, seems a bit poor/faff on such a frame.

Rooster is out – I’ve no desire to go 29+

A slackset in the scandal could be a good idea to try for now.

sssimon
    Free Member

In classic STW recommend what you ride……

built this after an FF29, hard to beat for the money, rides well, bags of clearance and not a bad looker either

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wvPqZU]20150725_175001[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

benp1

I didn’t think 2×10 is a farr on a Solaris, though I’m running 1×10

I’m on a large and I’m 6’3

Think I would have gone for an XL if they were available but the large seems to work fine

Reverb here so no layback

core

I do like the look of that high latitude, and they’re only £230 odd…..

Not sure what the geo stacks up like against the scandal – genesis site seems to be down.

sandwicheater

sssimon, your bike just made me stop what i’m doing. That sir, is flippin nice.

philb88
    Free Member

Love that Genesis frame, would be a great replacement for my 26″ Core frame. But they still have a 27.2 seattube, annoying as for finding a dropper!

honeybadgerx

FF29 here and couldn’t be happier

core

Update:

Took the scandal for a decent spin yesterday, 25 miles of back lanes, bridleways, woodsy singletrack & forest fire tracks, oh and a very steep gully with no track, where I went over the bars……

Good news is I gelled with it a fair bit more than I have up to now, it’s always felt fast, but riding it over some of the terrain I usually reserve for the soul, it felt really fast, I was arriving in places a fair bit quicker than usual. Also got some air over some small jumps/kickers/roots for the first time properly, it flew well.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is, some of you up there were right, it is about as good at what I want as I could get. I know it’s capable of xc racing, it was perfect for yesterday’s ride, I think I’m gonna take it to FoD soon, and try it on a bit more techy stuff, and long distance bike packing should be a breeze. So, I was being a tart in essence, and just need to learn to love this frame, I think I’m on the way……….

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Good stuff, I’ve considered selling my Scandal a few times but can’t find anything that offers much more for the money. What about 120mm forks? Slacken the front up a bit and a bit more give.

I’ve no idea why on one stopped making them, must be too good looking for the range 🙂

core

I think I’m gonna upgrade to a clutch mech, new deore brakes & make it my main bike for a while, see how it goes, fork travel actually felt sufficient yesterday, and the front not so twitchy/steep (have alerted bar width & stem length), ditched the poploc and took the spring out of the forks too, so can now actually lock them out and alter compression……

Hmmmm, too much thinking time…….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What all purpose 29er frame?’ is closed to new replies.