Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What age is 'middle aged'…………
  • vondally
    Free Member

as i sit in the consultants waiting room to go for more tests, i began pondering after being told by the consultant that 47 is middle aged that my spine is closer to 80 yrs old but i act like a 14 year old (because i still want to ride a BIKE/RUN/MOVE) WHEN DOES ONE BECOME MIDDLE AGED?

mindset
    glory days?

kayak23

By definition it’s an age category, but of course it also has connotations, generally negative.

I plan to always buck the perception 😀

globalti
    Free Member

Mindset, definitely.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I think it’s when you begin to wonder if you have reached middle age.
    That, or when there are fewer riding days ahead of you than behind you.
    Or when you are looking at your holiday wish list and realise that there are insufficient summers left to fit them all in!

vondally
    Free Member

does the age caterory move as we become (in Theory) healthier living longer…….aka daily mail 50 is the new 40 ?

endurancenut
    Free Member

55 according to the latest survey. 70’s when you hit old age.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My back this morning also feels “old aged” but that’ll be down to the fact it’s pretty broke and I’ve spent most mornings over the last week tearing round a swimming pool with an 11 and 8 yr old attached to me and then spent the afternoon dicking around on skateboards/scooters.
    You do get some funny looks (at a weathered 37) as you weave in and out of folk on the bendy skateboard tho 😳

Ewan
    Free Member

Life expectancy int he UK is 80 years. The middle third of your life is therefore 27 years to 53 years.

Never understand why people can say that middle age starts at 55 odd – you’re almost dead.

jekkyl

according to wikipedia male life expectancy in the UK is 77.3 so then middleaged (/2) is anything over 38.6.
    As I am 38 this means I am indeed middle aged, 🙁 but I feel about 25 and in good shape physically. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Radio 4 had a piece on this a while back. Apart from the clear indication that I must be middle aged if I am listening to Radio 4, they also suggested that:

– Middle age is when you have to sit on the bed to put your socks on
    – Old age is when you have to sit on the bed to put your under-crackers on

vondally
    Free Member

Ewan………….thanks for that insight, I assume you are under 20 yrs old? 😀
    Gee having first knackered my back at 18 been doing that sock thing for 27 years!

oregon29
    Free Member

When you’ve given up on all your dreams or they have been reduced to all inclusive holidays in the sunny place the neighbors just went. Could be 18 or 80

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As a number. 40
    As a physical state. When your body no longer runs as seamlessly as it did.
    As a mental state. When you spend more time reminiscing than planning.

As the the last one is the only one you can control, I’d keep making new plans if I were you.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Gee having first knackered my back at 18 been doing that sock thing for 27 years!

I know it’s not especially funny, and I can empathise as a consultant recently told me ‘you have the spine of a man that has made the very most of his life so far’, but your comment did make me smile.

Another thought:

Middle age is when every new person you meet reminds you of someone you already know.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

At 41 it still amazes me how young I feel. 😀
    Still planning…
    When I stop listening to hip hop and thinking about what biking holiday I can go on next.

drlex
    Free Member

When the music’s too loud?

vondally
    Free Member

off for tests………….just asked a nurse when she thought middle aged was……….
    when the music you hear on the radio is a mash up of a remix of a remix of the 12 inch vinyl remix of the originial single.

Deep!

samuri
    Free Member

Dunno. I’m 45 but don’t feel middle aged. I’ll let you know when I get there.

br
    Free Member

As a number. 40
    As a physical state. When your body no longer runs as seamlessly as it did.
    As a mental state. When you spend more time reminiscing than planning.

As the the last one is the only one you can control, I’d keep making new plans if I were you.

You can at least influence number two.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ewan………….thanks for that insight, I assume you are under 20 yrs old?

Unfortunately not. I too am hurtling towards my grave.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i act like a 14 year old (because i still want to ride a BIKE/RUN/MOVE)

I think it’s a strangely british thing that assumes that outdoor activity/ exercise is a childish thing that we should grow out of.

The middle third of your life is therefore 27 years

being 27 i don’t like this – about as much as people telling me i’m 30 next year!!

oldnpastit

When your children drop you on the climbs, I think you’re middle aged.

I imagine that once you get to the point where *they* are dragging *you* round for the last twenty miles, then you’re old aged. Not there quite yet.

lunge

I know it’s not, but in my head it is a state of mind. So, as a 32 year old, when I sit in the pub with a pint of ale and a Scotch I am middle aged. When I chase my girlfriend down the road on my BMX I am a hormone filled teenager.

In fact, my mate said it quite nicely. He said it is when you spend more time in the pub talking about fuel economy of cars than you do about the carnage of the weekend or the young lady you ended up taking home.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You can at least influence number two.

True, to an extent. I was writing that as breakfast was being brought to the table so was giving more attention to the poached eggy goodness than I was to the writing.

footflaps

It’s all in the mind…

I was beating 20 year olds racing NPS XC in Sport when I was 38 (having only taken up racing at 37). Martin Salt did comment once when I went up to the podium that I looked a bit old for racing Sport (I’m 95% grey). I’m now 42 and can lift bigger weights in the gym now than I ever could in my 20s.

Moses

Ewan:

Never understand why people can say that middle age starts at 55 odd – you’re almost dead.

Up yours, youngster!
    I’m middle aged but nowhere near dead at 60. My dad rode a bike at 82 so I’ve got a long time left, I hope.

GrahamS

I turned 38 yesterday.

So I’m greatly reassured by the idea that I won’t be middle aged till I’m 55. 😀

(Though I do listen to Radio 4 and always make a noise when I sit down or stand up)

swavis

35 next month, a while to go then 😀

robbespierre
    Free Member

One definition that struck a chord with me was:
    “You are middle aged when you start worrying about your pension”.
    i.e. thinking defensively about life.

I am 50 and I feel and act like a 30 year old during leisure time.
    But I’ve sadly got to accept that overall I am middle aged 🙁

Dales_rider
    Free Member

My young nice female physio asked me how I was finding the bike riding. On telling her it (My back) starts to ache 10 to 15 miles into a ride she (after 2 months seeing her) asked how far I was riding she found it hard to accept that I was doing short 45 mile rides. She must be 40 years younger.
    As for middle age well friend wont see this year out and he’s 55 so he missed his middle age when he was young.

bigjim

I’m 35 and consider myself middle aged – I’ll be surprised if I make it to 70 based on family history/lifestyle. I think when you can’t handle clubbing and epic weekends out and about with hardly any sleep any more, that that is the end of your youth, and I know I can’t do it any more <sighs>.

Ewan
    Free Member

Up yours, youngster!
    I’m middle aged but nowhere near dead at 60. My dad rode a bike at 82 so I’ve got a long time left, I hope.

Ha! You’re in denial! I’ve come to terms with being 31 and firmly in the middle portion of my life… 😀

Seriously tho, you’re only as old as the woman you feel. Which makes me er, 37. Doh!

psling
    Free Member

You’ve actually hit middle-age when you begin to feel the need to tell everyone how old you are…

vondally
    Free Member

round of tests completed….start chatting to the gentleman next to me, discussed ailments and conditions…that is old age not middle aged i know…..turns out at 69 yrs old thinking of reducing his marathon running, he complted 4 marathons last year!

Feel as young as a spring lamb………………………..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Was discussing this very subject over a beer with an old schoolfriend last night.

We reckoned you’ve become middle aged when:

1. You make noises when rising from a seated position.
    2. You give out an involuntary sigh of contentment when handed a hot beverage.
    3. You are staggered by the fact that you meet professional people (doctors etc) who weren’t even born when you started college / your first job
    4. You realise you’re starting to sound like your Dad.

You also get bonus points for membership of any of the following:

Ramblers, RSPB, National Trust, English Heritage, Camping & Caravanning Club

I tick most of the above boxes, but to balance that like Wrightyson at 41 I’m still skating and thrash my singlespeed like it’s a big BMX.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

90 is a good life expectancy.
    0_30 young,
    30_60 middle,
    60_90 old.
    Stop kidding yourselfs. :DIo

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ha! You’re in denial! I’ve come to terms with being 31 and firmly in the middle portion of my life…

It sounds like youve given up the fight before its even started!

Im 42 & Im fitter than I was at 24 when I was doing the Commando course at Lympstone. You need to wake your ideas up before its too late Sir! 😉

br
    Free Member

Of all the guys I ride with, only one beats me up hills – and he’s 21 years younger than me. I said the other day that I’m happy now if I’m just half-way through, turned 48 a couple of months ago 🙂

And far fitter now than anytime since I was a teenager and running for my county.

busydog
    Free Member

Since I turned 70 in Nov., thinking I must be at least approaching middle age. Still riding 2-3 days a week, so happily make the assumption I’m not quite there yet 😀

flip
    Free Member

When the music’s too loud?

I’m 44 and everything is too loud.

Why does Asda play silly music for **** sake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What age is 'middle aged'…………’ is closed to new replies.