Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • what a brilliant invention
  • damascus
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to be invited to a bike show this week and amungst all the fancy expensive bikes and kit there was a bloke in the corner on his own demonstrating this

http://sugru.com/

It was the best thing in the whole show.

Its basically mouldable silicone. It comes in primary colours so you can match any colour. Its used for allsorts but mainly to fix things you would normally throw away as its beyond repair. It sets hard after 12 hours.

I’ve ordered some from the tinterweb and while I am waiting I’ve been looking around my house for things to repair.

I hope you find it as interesting and useful as me.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s good stuff. Been popular round these parts for a while.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s featured in this months MBUK too.

So what would/have you used it for?

damo2576
    Free Member

Ah Sugru is a great story born of RCA project and NESTA some time ago.

rene59
    Free Member

Do you know if this would stick to a bike frame if fashioned into a cable guide thingy?

Rorschach
    Free Member

He tried to convince me that it’s better than bacon…..It’s close.But it ain’t bacon.

damascus
    Free Member

He used it to stick a bike sensor to a fork and ran the cable up the leg also held on by the silicone. The bonus is that it will come off with pealing the paint off.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t forget it doesn’t last over 6 months in storage. So it does has some limitations.

rene59
    Free Member

Just ordered a mini multipack for a try, looks really useful.

damascus
    Free Member

The bloke said it has 12 months life span from being made but if you keep it in the fridge it will last 3 years. Not sure the wife will appreciate it. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

The bloke said it has 12 months life span from being made but if you keep it in the fridge it will last 3 years. Not sure the wife will appreciate it.

Must have changed the formula since I last used it. Well done, boffins!

Edit: Although, from Sugru’s own website:

damascus
    Free Member

Maybe it was just a dodgy sales pitch?

Jamie
    Free Member

Dunno. Give me £200, and I will sell you a franchise in a detective agency who can find out the score 😀

….saying that, if the Sugru bods are like Brant et al, then they will be along shortly to clarify the situation once their Google alerts go off.

damascus
    Free Member

Apparently if you say his name 3 times he appears like beetle juice.

gb1m
    Free Member

Do you think this stuff will be any good at making a rock guard to protect the down tube?

Drac

Yup been around awhile now it’s great stuff.

I’ve a few packs somewhere as bought a load during their launch promotion.

grum
    Free Member

So, what have people used it for then?

Rscott
    Free Member

repaired a kayak hull with it, the toe of my winter boots is sealed with it, and currently working out how i can use it torig a sail upfor my sea kayak, Great stuff, long term test is the boots as the repair is around 2 years old now.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It even sounds like the stuff that did the same,only better.. 20 years ago!

Shoegoo.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

permanet plasticine! wahooo.

ndthornton
    Free Member

That looks ace
    Could it be used to fashion a blanking cover for my Alfine shifter?
    I want to remove the window….

euanc
    Free Member

Could it be used to fashion a blanking cover for my Alfine shifter?

Polymorph is what you want for that, another cool material which is almost the opposite of Sugru.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/250g-polymorph-n14at

ndthornton
    Free Member

So whats the difference then?
    Wont it be difficult shape to the size of the gap if it has to be done under water?

ThePinkster

Bought some from B&Q a few months ago for remodelling the bridge on some glasses.

Worked brilliantly.

Kryton57

Moulded it as a strike protector on the bottom of my ASR5 swingarm, to protect against rock strikes and the chain.

Its been there for two years, no issues.

damascus
    Free Member

We need pictures!

jairaj

Wont it be difficult shape to the size of the gap if it has to be done under water?

Are you talking about Polymorph?

I think it only has to be put in water to heat it up and make it mould-able. Once soft you can remove it from the water, shape it to your requirements and let it cool and harden.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve been using Sugru for a while. I’ve used it for loads of things…

Showerhead Grip
    Shower basket feet
    Nail clipper gripper
    Feet for my Raspberry Pi

I’ve also used polymorph which is great, but it doesn’t do too well in hot temperatures (goes back to moldable state) and provides no grip, it is just nylon after all. They are very different things.

scruff
    Free Member

Tried Sugru to stop mech bashing into (large) chainstay, didn’t last long, the clutch lever cut into it.

Tried to fix one of the kids toys, wouldn’t stick the two thin bits together even when wrapped round, think its was made from polyethylene or something.

portlyone

I used it to fix a worn cleat from moving on my SPDs.

Used it to cover thin nails so I can see them and hang stuff from them.

Also used it to fashion a cable holder on the side of my desk for my phone charger.

Used it on a cupboard door fixing to stop it from popping out.

Cool stuff 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘what a brilliant invention’ is closed to new replies.