Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What a bloody excellent book!
  • rascal
    Free Member

Just finished ‘One Man And His Bike’ by Mike Carter. One day he decides to ride around the coast of Britain over the next 5 months after being disillusioned with work and life etc.

Uplifting, interesting throughout, educational, poignant and written in a really witty and engaging way. Loved it and now quite sad it’s finished. Wholeheartedly recommended.

pondo

I loved it too – the whole idea on the cycle home from work, gets to the Thames and as he prepares to turn towards home, the thought occurs; “what happens if I turn the other way and just keep going…?”

Great book. 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve put it on my wish list, thanks for the recommendation.

sharkattack

I haven’t read it but how the hell do you take 5 months off work to pedal around just because you’re a bit fed up? Is he a city banker or something?

Harry_the_Spider

I enjoyed it too, but thought that the last section of the trip was a bit rushed.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I doubt it was truly a spur of the moment decision.

cogglepin

Not heard of it but I’ve just ordered it on the strength of the recommendations. Sounds in similar vain to a book I read many years ago, The Adventures of Goodnight and Loving by Leslie Thomas, if you haven’t read it I highly recommend it.

fossy

Any other good book recommendations. Not a big reader, but with a number of camping trips coming up and need to relax, could do with a few book recommendations.

chaos

A similar story would be ‘The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry’.

Bazz

I also really enjoyed it, as someone who generally has a poor opinion of people there was plenty of positive and uplifting stories of human interaction, it definitely gave me a warm feeling inside.

Alphabet

“The Adventures of Goodnight and Loving by Leslie Thomas”

There’s a blast from the past, I read that many moons ago.

MoreCashThanDash

On my wish list too.

Currently reading “Race of Truth” by Leigh Timmis, about his Trans European record, but also a lot about his mental health battles, gives it more intetest.

Got Jenny Grahams “First Coffee, then The World” next in line, and I’m on the waiting list for the copy of “Beryl” thats going round the cycle club.

“Back Seat Rider” by Laura Massey is a great read about their round the world tandem record.

vww

For an excellent bit of online reading and great photos, try this. Really well written piece about riding the Iditarod Trail in Alaska.

duncancallum

Bike called reggie series are good too.

Lives in hebden I think from memory.

I had a spell of reading those sort of books

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I haven’t read it but how the hell do you take 5 months off work to pedal around just because you’re a bit fed up? Is he a city banker or something?

He’s a freelance travel writer.  Makes it much easier to spontaneously go travelling.

It is a great book and thoroughly recommended, but I don’t believe for a minute that he just decided to start pedalling round Britain without a lot of planning.

tayls
    Free Member

@rascal,

Great heads up, just ordered it and looking forward to reading it.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I enjoyed it too, but thought that the last section of the trip was a bit rushed.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.
    It’s like he had a word limit, put too much effort in to the first half and ran out of words.
    Certain areas that I was looking forward to reading about got glossed over.

StuF

Back Seat Rider” by Laura Massey

That’s next on my list after hearing her chat about their experience at a club night. Sounds like it was really tough for her partner.

crazy-legs

It is a great book and thoroughly recommended, but I don’t believe for a minute that he just decided to start pedalling round Britain without a lot of planning.

It took me a while to get into it, I tried 2 or 3 times to read it before I actually got past the first dozen or so pages.
    And yes, the first chapter is all about the total lack of planning, what to take etc and how he coped in the early days carrying way too much stuff, all the wrong things and so on.

Once I’d got into it, it was actually good and it’s one of those books that really turns on its head the notion that you *need* this that and the other for any sort of cycle ride or hours on forums going “what are the best [things] for a long tour…?”

MoreCashThanDash

That’s next on my list after hearing her chat about their experience at a club night. Sounds like it was really tough for her partner.

Think I’ve just identified you from the Teams app! 😉

the-muffin-man

He’s a freelance travel writer.

A travel writer and disillusioned with his job!? Must have been travelling to some pants places – was he only being sent to Pontins sites!

…and then took 5 months off to, err travel – which he then wrote about. 🤷‍♂️

homatron
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it too. Think I read it during covid and it gave a great mental escape!

If anyone in the Plymouth area wants my copy for free just let me know.

rascal
    Free Member

Crazy – same here. When I got into it I couldn’t put it down.

muff – he set off with no plan. It’s just how long it took him.

StuF

Think I’ve just identified you from the Teams app!

lol, it goes both ways when you get a nice refurb’d retro bike 😉

leffeboy

excellent, I’ve just bought it on Audible now as he reads it himself.  Had given up on Red Dwarf as it just didn’t work for me as an audio book

welshfarmer

Mike is a really nice guy who lives just down the valley from me. He was recently the back end of the horse in our local Panto 🙂

EDIT: I should have said that the front of the horse was played by Rob Penn, who also wrote a great cycling book “It’s all about the Bike”

MrSparkle

I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I remember feeling a bit sad that I’d finished it.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve cycle-camped for up to three and a half months. Each time it’s been one of the many ideas germinating at the back of my mind that’s eventually come to fruition.

I suspect if he’d thought about it more and done a bit of reseach he’d have gone somewhere more interesting but maybe that wouldn’t have been idosyncratic enough to write a book about. With 5 months to play with why spend it riding around a wind and rainswept island when there’s the European cycle network a ferry crossing away ?

rascal
    Free Member

Welshfarmer – I love the fact he lives in a small village in Wales now. He’d seen enough beautiful, quiet parts of the UK on his travels to reinforce his reluctance to live in a city again – good on him!

Was thinking about the Rob Penn book next…good but different to Mike’s?

zippykona

One of those books you can re read. Even if you are not a cyclist the hidden bits of Britain he shows you are amazing.

welshfarmer

@rascal. Yep, Robs book is very different but a very good read. Basically a great excuse for a world wide road trip to find the very best parts to build up Robs dream bike. He wrote it not long after his return from cycling around the world! There is also a TV program that came out after the book.

rascal
    Free Member

That sounds familiar! I think I’ve read it 😳🙄

Edukator
    Free Member

Cycling around the world appeals more so thanks for the Rob’s book tip. Bert whom I rode with in the 70s did it twice, the second time at 70. He didn’t have much to say about it apart from rabid dogs and making sure he wasn’t seen before lying down to sleep. I doubt he saw much, he did a hundred miles a day and was always head down on the drops.

jimster01

I’ve got it lined up to be read next.

grimep
    Free Member

I’m reading the rob penn book on the train home from work, not very long so almost finished it.

Enjoyable.

tjagain

My big bike ride last 18 months ago was in some ways planned in detail – in the stuff I took and the bike.  But the route?  I had an outline in mind and some folk I wanted to visit but day by day and week by week it was much more disorganised / spontaneous.  I would get up in the morning and decide what direction i was heading in and each afternoon decide what campsite i was heading for.  I( was away from home for m more than 4 months

Very interesting to meet other tourers and see their philosophies.  From the folk with many kilos of expensive kit and expensive bikes with every day planned to the mm and every campsite booked for 3 weeks to the chap who proudly told me it was his first bike tour, his bike cost 50 euros,as did his tent and if he got fed up he could just leave the bike and kit and get a train home.  He was even more random than me as to routes.  Also the woman who got fed up of her high powered job, went to decathlon and bough a 500 euro bike and a cheap tent and just set off

Dervla Murphies books?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervla_Murphy

finbar
    Free Member

These aren’t cycling, but for anyone who likes books about long journeys I can heartily recommend:

1. ‘The Long Walk’ by Slawomir Rawicz. A ‘based on a true story’ book about escaping from a Siberian WW2 gulag on foot to India. This is personally very moving for me as my grandfather actually did escape from a gulag and wind up, via Karachi, in Britain and the RAF (sadly, how he actually did it has been lost in the mists of time).

2. ‘A Time of Gifts’ and ‘Between the Woods and the Water’ by Patrick Leigh Fermor. A totally different, absolutely joyous travelogue about a young man who travels on foot from London to Constantinople in the early/mid 1930s, across a Europe that is half aware of the coming storm, and half still a romantic tapestry of ancient castles, deep woods and Counts and Countesses.

crazy-legs

Yep, Robs book is very different but a very good read. Basically a great excuse for a world wide road trip to find the very best parts to build up Robs dream bike. He wrote it not long after his return from cycling around the world! There is also a TV program that came out after the book.

I’d been trying to remember for ages exactly who was in that TV programme. It popped into my mind when someone was talking about a “bike for life” and the ensuing discussion that I didn’t believe such a thing existed any more due to the ever changing standards etc. I knew I’d seen a TV programme on a guy travelling around building his dream bike but couldn’t remember who.

Anyway, this thread cleared that up and I found the programme on YouTube:

Oh and it features Charlie Kelly and Joe Breeze with some back in the day Repack footage! Worth it just for that segment alone. 🙂

Having just re-watched it, I stand by my comments – what he’s got is a reasonable bike that presumably means a lot to him but looking at it now is little more than a rather dated steel frame and some nice enough parts.

welshfarmer

What happens when 2 authors with a passion for bikes get roped into the local village panto. To be fair they made a great impression as Cinderellas white stallion

IMG_20240201_211332 (Medium)

MoreCashThanDash

Rob Penns book and show were great.

lol, it goes both ways when you get a nice refurb’d retro bike 😉

First rule of Singletrack club….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM