Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What 60mm Stem?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find any stems I like in 60mm length. There’s loads of nice ones in both 50mm and 70mm (I’ve got a 50mm Spank which is ace, and a 70mm Raceface), but all the 60mm stems I seem to find are either ugly, or plain boring…

I need a 31.8mm bar clamp for 1 1/8th steerer, any ideas on a nice 60mm stem? Oh, and it MUST be black…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I put half a day in at work and spent a solid afternoon performing online searches for a 60mm stem for my BFe. I’ll be glad to pass on what I found:

Theres not many out there but the ones I do remember are Gussett Staff (seems ideal), or a Ragley or an On One.

I havent bought one but the Staff stem is top of my list due to its low price.

mboy
    Free Member

Pretty much the sum of my findings so far too, though I can’t confess to having taken time at work to do it! 😉

Not sticking an On One or a Ragley stem on the BFe. Not that I’ve got anything against either brand (far from it actually!) I just fancy something a bit more boutique… I’ve got a 50mm Spank 2 timer on there at the moment, which is quite a smart hunk of metal if I do say so myself, cold forged then CNC finished it’s really rather nice. Just a shame it’s a 50mm only!

I’m noticing a gap in the market here guys… Nice 60mm stems that re styled like 50mm stems, not shorter versions of an XC stem, with a half decent price. Dunno what it is, but whilst I’m happy to ride a “tubular” stem on an XC bike, when it comes to a short stem I want it hewn from a solid block of ally…

Northwind

Gusset Staff is very nice. Light but strong, well finished too and you get a load of options with it- spacers for smaller bars, 2 different couloured front plates…

Pro FSR is another good one, light and well priced but not pretty.

mboy
    Free Member

jeb, those 2 are PROPER FUGLY mate!!! Sorry… Cheers for trying though.

Northwind, the Gusset Staff does look a very venerable choice, it’s just hardly inspiring really. I’m sure it does it’s job, and very well, I just want something that looks as nice as the stem I’ve got on there at the moment…

The Pro is only available in 50 or 70 again (both of which lengths I already own a nice looking stem), and again, it’s FUGLY!

Konastoner
    Free Member

65mm and on offer at £35 on CRC (Other colours are available)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sunline AM at 65mm. I have one and it’s lovely.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19263

mboy
    Free Member

Konstoner, cheers, that’s winning at the moment, though oddly enough I’m still not that keen on the Straitline, and I’d prefer an actual 60mm not a 65 (I know, I know, its only 5mm etc… But…).

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers reggiegasket, but too angular, and not black enough for me I’m afraid…

I know, I’m hard to please, I apologise! 😳

But please keep the suggestions coming, I can at least assess them one way or the other that way…

Northwind

PRO Koryak? Not entirely black but largely black, and cool looking if you like that sort of thing

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=44961

Azonic Launch, I think it’s gopping but then I reckon the Staff is lovely and you don’t like it so you nevr know

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=44961

mboy
    Free Member

Had been looking at the Pro Koryak… I’m trying to decide whether I like it or not. It’s certainly purposeful looking, if not handsome, but it’s not offensive. An option possibly…

The Azonic Launch is proper gopping… Sorry, no way!

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Easton Havoc?

[edit] 2010 seems to now be white and 65mm. 😯
    2009 cheaper and black, still 65mm Vice is 50mm. 🙁

Raceface Respond Am is black/right size but has snot on the side.
    Truativ Hussfelt?
    I’ll give up now:).

mboy
    Free Member

Kamikirk, just sold an Easton Havoc cos it’s bloody ugly!

That Raceface Respond is more along the lines, but agree the green on the side is not good.

Truvativ Hussefelt… Heavy and ugly sadly, purposeful no doubt and fits the bill on the size and colour, but I’m afraid I’m after something a bit nicer looking. And there’s soooo many nice 50mm or 70mm stems out there, but not really any 60’s!

jeb

but they were cheeeeeeeep!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I know what you mean, the Sunline is a fair block.

Now then….. black:check .. 60mm:check….rounded:check

step forward the Syntace superforce (not cheap mind)

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1518#

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What 60mm Stem?’ is closed to new replies.