• This topic has 38 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What 5" trail bike to replace a Heckler
  • rhid

Hello,

I was thinking, very hypothetically, about a frame to replace my Heckler (lottery win, massive pay rise or finding buried treasure pending).

It will primarily used for trails and general playing around on not necessary for huge rides in the hills. While I love my heckler I was thinking that maybe a shorter travel bike could be as much fun and have been taken with the idea of a Bottlerocket or Orange Blood.

I know these will be heavier and maybe leaning towards the FR style of riding than my heckler but I really like the look of them!

The problem is I would want to move all parts from my Heckler to my new frame. I currently run Pikes and have just got hold of a Reverb seatpost so that kind of exludes the Blood (smaller seatpost diameter). Would the Bottlerocket be terrible with 140mm Pikes on?

What other frames of a similar ilk would fit the bill (maybe less FR biased)?

The criteria would be that I can run a 30.9mm post and 140mm forks.

Any suggestions?

Rhid

Leku
    Free Member

Yeti 5?

rhid

I’m not a yeti fan, I’m sure they a good bikes but I don’t really want one!

Is there a modern equivalent of the Blur 4X?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Get a 4x to replace your heckler, in the great tradition of these threads that is what I did and it is great.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I changed mine for a Orange 5 all the bits fit and the seat post 😀

I’ve recently fitted my Pikes to it while I service my 36’s (normally set to 140mm) its slacker than the heckler so in my opinion better on the down hill, my head set is a CK and I have a couple of the bottom bearings one for 1 1/2″ and the other for 1 1/8″ so you can swop and change with ease.

aluhrs
    Free Member

Giant Trance Frame set

I have a 2011 Trance x4 and it is an absolutely amazing bike KS i900 seat post being added that is the desired 30.9mm.

Fox float RL 140 forks added (tapered) fit perfectly with the 5″ travel at the rear. Plus a set of Hope wheels with Mavic rims.

Great for thrashing around the trails and doing the jumps, absolute bullet proof build quality and reasonably light.

I would highly recommend it for the riding your doing.

Hope this has helped!

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 for the Yeti ASR-5

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 5

rhid

Thanks for the replies.

AS its too miserable to ride today I have been thinking on it more and have decided to look for something 4″-5″ that can take 140mm to 160mm (incase I do change forks) something that go up and then down much quicker?

I don’t want a mini DH bike as I have a 224 for DH duties. I basically want a shorter travel Heckler for misbehaving on. What is this bike I’m after!

coogan
    Free Member

5 Spot is always a larf.

chakaping
    Free Member

Much as I’m loathe to admit it, it does sound like an Orange 5 might fit the bill nicely.

rhid

Maybe a 5 would fit the bill but for whatever reason they just don’t do it for me! Maybe I should try one out and see if I can overcome my disinterest in them.

Burls72
    Free Member

Foes 4x or xct?

duir
    Free Member

Devinci Dixon. Can build to an aggressive agro bike or fairly light XC bike. Think most of your kit will go straight on and Freeborn are selling them off with about £500 of retail at the mo so cheaper than an Orange. Devinci throw in the new DW Split Pivot and a lifetime warranty with it too.

rhid

I want that Foes 4x more than anything! Do you know how it would take a double chain ring up front and how it would be on general trail bits?

mrhoppy

Blur 4x or (if this is lottery dreaming) a TRC.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

What about a Corsair Marque?

rhid

I read somewhere that the TRC is the new 4x. It does look amazing but I’m old fashioned and would be worried about the carbon fibreness of it. Not that it would break as such but that I would damage it!! I would still think the same on the Carbon V10….

nickegg
    Free Member

+1 for what Stuartlangwilson said!

That’s exactly what i did recently and i’m not regretting it at all. I have to have one bike to do it all right now. The Blur 4X has been amazing. From local trails to recent DH uplift day at Hopton. v

Needs a travel adjustable fork though as 120mm is fine locally but not enough for DH IMO.

Shame they no longer make the 4X!!!

mamadirt
    Free Member

I basically want a shorter travel Heckler for misbehaving on. What is this bike I’m after!

One of these? Only come in two sizes – short or long – mine’s (was) the smaller of the two. 140mm travel, very Bottlerocket/Blood-esque in appearance although I’d guess that the concentric bottom bracket pivot on the Absolut would feel a little different to the other two. Pedals very well – I only notice bobbing in the 2-3 lowest gears. Loads of fun! 😛

Oh, and Merlin are now selling the frames with shock, seat, post and headset for £659! (CRC have them in their sale too – listed in the HT frames section for some reason – but there’s no mention if shocks are included with their Commencal clearance stock.)

mrhoppy

+1 nickegg although I’ve found 140 to be ok for most riding on mine. I’m it’s a bit heavy but more reassuring strength as opposed to unwieldy bulk.

rhid

All of a sudden theres so many to chose from!!

I’m going to try a 5 as even though my comments earlier about not getting excited about them are kind of still true I have been doing some research and am a bit keener now (iscg tabs, rear maxle 30.9mm st diameter) and all my Heckler bits will be perfect for it. The only thing putting me off a 4X is that it would have to be 2nd hand and could be pretty well used!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Couple of old stock 14″ 2010 Fives on sale here.

rhid

Maybe the right size as I am a giant 5″6 but wrong seat tube diameter. Shame.

hambl90
    Free Member

Rocky mountain altitude

v10
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Rocky Element MSL frame for similar stuff. Only had two rides on it (but ive had plenty to compare against) and so far im very impressed. Seriously light and stiff and is a proper blast to ride. Currently running 120mm bolt through SID’s but have just stepped down my Revs to try in it at 130mm. CRC had some at silly money but ive no idea if they have any left.
    Oh and is super prrrrruuuuuuuuuuuudy too 😀

grantway
    Free Member

Orange 5 or the Mega from Nuke Proof seem to be making a lot of noise
    in the Mountain biking World

djflexure

Like my devinci

cynic-al
    Free Member

What 5″ trail bike to replace a Heckler

An 03-08 Heckler.

/THREAD CLOSED/

rotten
    Free Member

The biggest problem with test riding a 5 is, it’s so good you’ll not want anything else. 🙂

jedi

bottlerocket is 5-6 travel adjust now days

flow
    Free Member

The biggest problem with test riding a 5 is, it’s so good you’ll not want anything else

Thats the problem I had.

I was perfectly happy with my EX9 and had no intention of buying a new bike until I hired a Five for a day at GT.

carlphillips
    Free Member

morewood shova st

The best trail bike I’ve ridden

flow
    Free Member

morewood shova st

69 degree head angle 😯

nmdbase
    Free Member

Five or a Mega would be my choices if I was to get rid of my Heckler (or a covert)

Mugboo

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/18135/Marin_Wolfridge_68_Bike_2009

I bought one one of these. 5″ travel, designed to work with Pikes.

I swapped my parts across and sold lots of bits.

Cost to me £264.00 for a new frame/shock, mechs and shifters 🙂

flyingfox
    Free Member

Easy (and not just because we do them – we did a whole lot of riding and research before we took them on) – Pivot Mach 5.7 (far and away the best bike I have ever ridden) or Transition Bandit. Amazing, sprightly bikes, which have been pretty much indestructible and I miss them if I have to ride something else.

erny
    Free Member

I changed mine to a 5 🙂

hora
    Free Member

but I really like the look of them!

I’ve bought so many bikes because I liked the look of them. All of these turned out to be awful to ride.

I bet loads of people on here have done the same but won’t admit it.

While I love my heckler

What aspects are plus points and what negs?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What 5" trail bike to replace a Heckler’ is closed to new replies.