Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)
  • Whaley Bridge
  • BadlyWiredDog

Am worried about the ‘sweetie factory’, think of the children.

It’ll be good for their dental, mental and physical health. That factory mostly seems to produce small tabs of hyper-compressed pure sugar flavoured with the sort of stuff normally found in toilet-freshening blocks – Parma Violets, Love Hearts, Refreshers, Drumsticks and Crystal Meth.

monksie
    Free Member

The River Sett levels have dropped considerably outside my house following last weeks heavy rain which is a good barometer for the natural state of the various water outlets. The Mersey wasn’t particularly high around Didsbury either, yesterday.

*cryptic message for Bunnyhop.*

Mellor Road and onto Dye House Lane or a massive detour and Hayfield Road and turn right opposite the Co-op are the only open routes by car.
    No problems getting anywhere by bike though.

edward2000
    Free Member

I’m quietly pleased that Marple is now under martial law and probably ringed wth tanks, razor wire and minefields. A lot of very undesirable people live there and it’s reassuring to know that they can’t get out 

Ah cr@p I just bought a house there! On the nicer side of town though….

crazy-legs

That factory mostly seems to produce small tabs of hyper-compressed pure sugar flavoured with the sort of stuff normally found in toilet-freshening blocks – Parma Violets, Love Hearts, Refreshers, Drumsticks and Crystal Meth.

I know, it’s AMAZING isn’t it?!

Drac

Love Hearts, Refreshers, Drumsticks and Crystal Meth.

Nooooooooooo!

matt_outandabout

I used to canoe down the canal with groups at work. Anyways good to get a sugar rush at the wee factory outlet…😜😜😜

ElShalimo

It’s not a wee factory but anyone tasting Parma Violets for the first time can be forgiven for making that assumption

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Where are people getting these forecasts of torrential rain from? I’m on Weather.de and it looks like they’re forecasting about 6mm for the day.
    I know it’s better to be safe and overestimate but it is quite a big difference. Obviously the ground is sodden so anything falling from the sky is pretty much run straight off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks Drac. No precipitation quantities though. However with the situation as it is and the local landscape I’m sure any rain will be more than unwanted.

Drac

Thunderstorms produce shits loads of rain in a few minutes which is worse than a gradual rain all day as it runs straight off the ground.

monksie
    Free Member

It’s starting to look like there could be a lot of rain round here. The wind is picking up and it’s bringing rain clouds with it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for the links above chaps. I get the fact that the nature of a thunderstorm massively exacerbates the problem, but they still show 5mm for the day and yet the local agencies are talking of numbers an order of magnitude higher. Just wondering if they are adding a worst possible case figure in there based on experience. Anyway, it’s outside my knowledge and all I can do is keep my fingers crossed for everyone up there.

dpfr

Well, wherever all the water is going, it isn’t having any real effect on the Goyt downstream

Attempt to post a link follows-
    https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/5232”

There’s a little helicopter buzzing around at the moment, and I haven’t seen the Chinook at all today.

Bunnyhop

Monksie – thanks for the message. Glad to see you got home safely. nbt and myself rode back from New Mills on Strines road, it was bliss without drivers.

We went to visit BWD. The rather nice constable sitting at the bottom of his round had certainly had plenty of tea, also too many cakes by the sounds of it, but had he tasted the delights of the local sweetie factory? He seemed to be concerned about where to empty his tea filled bladder. You see mighty huge problems such as a dam bursting can bring along tiny little problems such as a constables bladder bursting and I don’t mean a camelbac.

Yes I know the sweetie factory is above the Goyt, however it is just a foot or two under the canal and I believe if this dam bursts, the canal will get a large splosh of water causing a large wave or two.

I’ve been doing an anti rain dance.

matt_outandabout

and I believe if this dam bursts, the canal will get a large splosh of water causing a large wave or two.

fossy

I assume it’s Marple Bridge and houses near Strines that have been warned, rather than Marple.

Still no rain, which is a good thing, but it’s rather humid with lots of cloud.

Bunnyhop

Yes Marple Bridge, Strines and parts of Marple lower down from the canal and on the edge of the canal.
    However the police have been giving out leaflets and knocking on doors in very minor event of some of marple having to evacuate.
    We chatted to the police last night and they were very friendly while enjoying large amounts of curry.

BadlyWiredDog

We went to visit BWD. The rather nice constable sitting at the bottom of his round had certainly had plenty of tea, also too many cakes by the sounds of it, but had he tasted the delights of the local sweetie factory?

I reckon he’s put on at least 20 kg today and is now physically incapable of leaving his car. He was eating an ice-pop when we passed him earlier. We could take him some Parma Violets later.

kelvin

AMAZING

Truly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The UK-spec Chinooks have had a fair bit of electrical equipment in the underfloor spaces for a whole now, especially so since the HC2/2A variants were upgraded to HC4/5/6 and eventually 6A.

It was infact the 2 Iirc.

Also something about having to use compost bags to build a dam across the back of the cockpit!

highpeakrider
    Free Member

So the town is locked down, neighbours have put bins out for Monday collection, tad optimistic I think…..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

THings seem to be progressing well now.
    All that effort has paid off. 👍🏼

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49231384

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably a point of contention, but……..

If the dam was built to keep the canal topped up rather than as water supply, is it worth fixing? Assuming that any fixing is going to be expensive then why not just decommission it? Then either accept that the canal will dry up in summer, or pump water back up the locks.

MoreCashThanDash

TINAS – bit of a bummer for those that live on the canal….

crazy-legs

It’s a working canal – Marple Lock Flight is a tourist attraction in itself, there’s are marinas at Buxworth, Furness Vale, New Mills and Marple plus the canal hooks into Peak Forest Canal and runs right into Manchester. You’d kill the entire thing. Wildlife, businesses, people’s homes.

It’d be cheaper and easier to repair the dam than try and decommission the entire canal!

Drac

We should be restoring and maintaining canals not closing as a dam had an issue.

BadlyWiredDog

Ducks you mean? No worries though, we could have a conceptual ‘Garden Canal’ and get it sponsored by multinational companies and send colossal amounts of public money on it before cancelling the thing. I know a PM who might be interested.

crazy-legs

Police drone footage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We should be restoring and maintaining canals not closing as a dam had an issue.

Risk Vs benefit.

On the one hand, the presumably large cost of restoring the dam and/or bringing it up to modern standards as appropriate and probably taking years anyway so the canal is going to have to survive without it for the short term. And still with residual risk of watery death.

Vs

Decommissioning the reservoir and feeding the canal from somewhere not available to the victorians (i.e. pump water back up the locks).

Look on the bright side, the canal and river trust wouldn’t have to enforce continuous cruising anymore.

Drac

That’s an insane infrastructure put in place.

IHN

They’re not mucking about, eh?

nbt

Whaley Bridge Update – Monday 5 August 2019Work has continued overnight to lower the water level in Toddbrook…

Posted by Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service on Monday, August 5, 2019

IHN

the canal and river trust wouldn’t have to enforce continuous cruising

You’re thinking of Canal Street 😉

crazy-legs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49247226

The Chinook was flying again most of this morning; it’s brought in another 100 tonnes of so of aggregate.

fossy

Reported slippage of some bags, but its looking hopeful locals can go back soon. There has been social media calls for folk to visit Whaley and spend some money there to get business back up once safe – one of the ride groups I know could be planning a trip.

It’s going to be one big repair job.

IHN

If you do go to Whaley to spend money, you could do worse than spend it in The Goyt, and say hello to Chaos the pub dog while you’re there.

And the sausage rolls from the Bakehouse are a-mazing.

Bunnyhop

Yes and the pear tree cafe.

globalti
    Free Member

Would now be a good time to put on a town centre evening crit race?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘Whaley Bridge’ is closed to new replies.