Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • West Country folk…
  • grynch
    Free Member

west country folk… they're not like others are they ? ( bless their cotton socks )

My wife recently had to phone an undertaker in Cornwall for some last minute arrangements for her Auntie Doris’s funeral and had a very pleasant chat with the senior director of this particular ..errr…. shop?… ( or so she thought ). The person answered the phone and Mrs.G explained that auntie was being cremated tomorrow … the gentleman expressed his regrets..and then they chatted for a few moments on life and death and such ( as you do with those chaps. )

Mrs. G then explained that she wanted a particular piece of music and did he know if the Crematorium had it…”no dear, I don’t know.. perhaps you should phone the Crematorium… hold on and I’ll look up the number for you” Rustling of papers and the chap comes back with the phone no. and then asks who is handling the service. Mrs. G somewhat surprised says well.. you are.

“Oh no dear, you’ve reached a private number.”

We could only imagine that the poor soul had no one else to talk to that day and was pleased for the chat.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had a girlfriend from Devon…. stunning girl, face, figure, personality she had it all….

including bits of skin linking her toes… eeek!

crispybacon
    Free Member

my apologies to Mrs G & Yes things were a tad slow that day when my phone rang 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

It's the reason I love living down this way… 🙂

fadda

I'm from Devon originally and now live in Wales. Am I over-qualified for this thread…?

grynch
    Free Member

crispy.. you got a Liskeard exchange then ? *L*

grynch
    Free Member

fadda, do you talk proper slow like?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I moved to Somerset from Manchester, that probably makes me worse as I chose to live down this way!

fadda

grynch – Proper slow, aye. And I posts slow, n'all…

crispybacon
    Free Member

crispy.. you got a Liskeard exchange then ? *L*

Yep……… 01579 😕

Anyway, when you coming over for ride on Bodmin Moor then ??

grynch
    Free Member

😥 we still have our rental cottage .. but with Auntie Doris gone … well…. she was our last of that generation … no other family down there.

don't know.

Dibbs
    Free Member

You where pretty lucky to get hold of someone with a genuine local accent, its mostly Londoners an Brummies taken over the place 😥

grynch
    Free Member

i've heard that there were a few odd americans 'round too.

😳

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you do come over & you fancy a bimble email (in profile) me & I'll see what I can do.

Here are a few shots from Sunday's ride on Caradon Hill & Sharp Tor 😆

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4530888331_7a97a1770d_b.jpg[/img][img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/4531522128_23c557a00d_b.jpg[/img]

grynch
    Free Member

awwe man… thanks… I do wanna go "home" now. ( forgive an emmet for calling cornwall home.

that shot of Caradon Hill… where was it taken… Pensilva way?

( not sure if've I've said before but our cottage.. me and the mrs. is in Commonmoor… just down from there )

crispybacon
    Free Member

No worries mate come 'home' anytime.

The shot of Caradon Hill is taken from the top of Sharp Tor, the Cheesewrings are just out of shot on the right hand side.

The second shot above is also taken from the top of Sharp Tor & has the Cheesewrings dead ahead & Caradon Hill on the very top left hand corner.

Commonmoor, crikey you could ride onto Bodmin Moor from there easily 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I moved to Somerset from Manchester, that probably makes me worse as I chose to live down this way!"

Same here: came here from Essex via Hants. 20 yrs in Somerset and I still cant fake the accent. But I've adopted other regional habits such as cider drinking, being laid-back until almost comatose, and general lawlessness.

CountZero

But I've adopted other regional habits such as cider drinking, being laid-back until almost comatose, and general lawlessness.

'Round these parts the general lawlessness used to be hiding illegal hooch from the excise men and robbing highway travellers.

jakeclyro
    Free Member

west country born and bred!! love it!!

i live in cheltenham now. pretty far north for me!

yunki
    Free Member

'Round these parts the general lawlessness used to be hiding illegal hooch from the excise men and robbing highway travellers.

now it's just general lawlessness.. plus cydration.. and recydration and being laidback.. and general lawlessness..
    appy dayze bey

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I am from and still live in Cornwall,It is a fantastic county to live work and ride.

jacko54321
    Free Member

somerset all my life, awsome place to live and work, no rush, everyones chilled out and im a 5 min drive from the quantocks WIN!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘West Country folk…’ is closed to new replies.