Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • West coast bike and bivvy routes
  • flyingmm

I’m planning a few overnight trips that are ideally easily accessible from Glasgow and looking out for longer holiday trip ideas.

May try parking at bridge of orchy, train to corrour and biking back via kinlochleven and the WHW, with a bivvy around loch treig.

Other idea is glen kinglass and back via loch etive>glencoe. Has anyone tried biking the east side of loch etive? Could take the train back from taynuilt, but would be nice to make a circuit of it.

Any other thoughts welcome, cheers

scotroutes

I did the Bridge of Orchy/Taynuilt section only a couple of weeks back. I started at Tyndrum and cycled along the WHW to Victoria Bridge as a warm up, then got the train back to Tyndrum.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/

I believe the East side of Loch Etive is possible but slow and pretty nasty in places. Another option would be to arrange a boat across to the other side and use that track (househusband of this parish did that last year). FWIW, I’m also lead to believe that the cycle track marked through the forests in Glen Orchy is no longer passable.

flyingmm

Thanks scotroutes . Enjoyed your blog – the packraft would come in handy for cruising up loch etive! Stunning scenery around there and sounds like some nice if not challenging riding. Like the idea of the boat crossing. Anyone else tried the east bank of glen etive to glencoe?

househusband

Yup, have become quite familiar with both banks of Glen Etive! It is fine as far as Ardmaddy from Taynuilt but then gets a bit, umm, interesting. The western side is better served by track – some of it through stunning old woodland.

I’d go back and camp on the western side as there’s better availability of firewood!

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you looked to see if anyone’s done anything over on Bear Bones Bikepacking?

AlasdairMc

househusband – Member

It is fine as far as Ardmaddy from Taynuilt but then gets a bit, umm, interesting

I thought you enjoyed that ride!! Admittedly we did have perfect weather for it, so the dragging/carrying wasn’t too bad.

OP: If you’re considering the East side of Glen Etive route, anti-clockwise is definitely better as you’ve got a horrible road climb done the other way. I’d wait a while though as we did it in the height of summer and the path would be a nightmare while all the snow is melting off the hills.

househusband

It’s not that (our!) ride I was referring to, Al!

AlasdairMc

Ah, so there have been worse experiences then?

househusband

It was different to ours..!

flyingmm

Thanks for the suggestions. sounds pretty emphatic all round – avoid the south/eastern shore. Just found a very nice write up on bearbones for the loop to Connell bridge. Does anyone know how or if you can wangle a boat trip across from taynuilt to bonawe…. cue, packrafters…. It would then make it a more doable overnighter?

househusband

Does anyone know how or if you can wangle a boat trip across from taynuilt to bonawe

Yes, get in touch with Donald (I think thats his name) from Loch Etive cruises; he took our group of three over.

flyingmm

@househusband. Thanks for the tip, just booked Donald’s ferry for easter sunday – fingers crossed for the weather now!

househusband

Nice one – enjoy! Here’s the woodland you’ll be enjoying on the ride:

13thfloormonk

Top tip: From Bonawe you could climb up Gleann Salach until you reach the junction with the forest track that leads to Am Maoilean. Follow forest tracks west, with a couple of stiff climbs, until you reach the junction at NM932383, head north at this junction and follow the probably very well used road which leads to the Beinn Lora forest walks.

Double back on yourself and take a quick detour past Lochan Nan Ron and follow the path to its end at a stile and picnic bench, if its a nice day you should be blessed with a view of Connel Bridge, Connel International Airport 😀 and maybe even Cruachan (I forget if its visible from that viewpoint). Follow the path back down and detour up to Eagle’s Eyrie for more views of Mull, Lismore, Ardgour and Loch Lihnne. The track then plummets down the hill to Benderloch, which is a short 10 minute cycle to Connel Bridge (I think there’s even a cycle path now that takes you the whole way).

This is the hilly, off road alternative to following the road along loch etive side, which is also a beautiful ride. Just be sure and check with the local Forestry Commission about logging on Beinn Lora, most of the singletrack has been obliterated but I think the main walker’s path is still intact.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘West coast bike and bivvy routes’ is closed to new replies.