Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • wellies v walking boots
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

With the rubbish weather I’ve discovered I miss having some half decent shoes, just been using a pair or trainers in the snow and they’re not very good. Used to have a pair of Zamberlan Calanques but sold them when we moved to Spain. Now I’m wondering about something for general bad weather and also going to (not many admittedly) bike events. Wellies appealed for simplicity and getting a good pair for relatively little cash compared to boots, any thoughts? As a comparison what decent boots can you get for same money as pair of hunters?

i prefer a stiff boot and simple over soft boot and tech fabrics

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wellies are very cold and don’t grip well but they do keep your trousers clean and are always more waterproof than any walking boots. I prefer walking boots but wellies have their place too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

found out i can get hunters for £35! i think we have a winner 😀 but yeah my auntie said she’d get me some nice socks for christmas to keep my feet warm

carbon337
    Free Member

wellies are cold and your socks slip off.

Walking boots with long socks and trousers tucked in has been my chosen attire of recent. A bit like a Glasgow NED

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing walking boots and gaiters recently but my work wellies are also great

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah i could start a ned trend down here, ah’m freezin by the way gie us yer hat big mon

SidewaysTim

Muckboots – I’ve had a pair for about three years, they’re warm, comfy, dry and grip – except on ice, so I put 20 screws in the sole of each an they’re fine.

I walked 26 miles in them one day too.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/men/outdoor-sporting/Pages/WoodyElite.aspx

fontmoss
    Free Member

actually that’s what my auntie recommended for my gf rather than wellies, i like the adjustments you’ve made though!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Lots of duff info about wellies here. They are not all cold. Just cheap ones and original Hunters which are dead thin. Go for Neoprene lined ones. Or even leather lined! They used to be 100 quid plus and those are dead nice but look at shooting site for ones around 35 quid. I live in mine. Not sure I would wear them scrambling but for bog trotting they are ace.

white101

I like my walking boots, but the rest of the gang have wellies and they dry out much quicker 🙁

Pieface

Apart from looking better, whats all the fuss about Hunters over regular wellies?

nuke

found out i can get hunters for £35!

Do share 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

pieface think they have a good rep for long lasting, lot of my mates back home used them (farmers)

nuke, kind of related to the above, my uncle works for an agric company and can get a discount

angryratio
    Free Member

Doc marten prison issue shoe with sealskinz today (trousers tucked into socks)
    i looked a complete pleb, but, the 5 inches that fell from 6pm were tackled easily.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Apart from looking better, whats all the fuss about Hunters over regular wellies?

Fit, they are about as comfortable as wellies are going to get. My cheapy wellies slop about on my feet and coax my socks down my legs & off my feet. On the plus side, my cheapies have room for a ewe’s hind leg in each alongside my own. I don’t need to wear them all day 😉

Not had cold or wet feet for the last couple of weeks, working on site at the side of the road in rain & snow – Dewalt Challenger 2 Goretex boots. The blokes in normal safety boots and also those wearing wellies have been bloody freezing.

dyna-ti

Just got a pair of winter boots from Tiso last week Brasher towa @ £100
    Gore-tex fabric boot.so far very comfortable 8)
    Wellies are ok but unless its a perfect fit you feet slip up and down a bit and that can get uncomfortable after a while.
    Have you thought about hunting boots 😀 A bit of a mix between wellies and lace up vibram soled walking boot.Very comfortable and water resistant by all accounts 😕

freeridenick
    Free Member

Dont get Hunters, over priced Asian Tat

You want a nice pair of Hand Made Aigles…I walk the dog in mine all winter. 80 quid but so much better fitted and comfy than Hunters.

StuE
    Free Member
    HeatherBash
    Free Member

They have their place (dog walking for example) but Wellies and baw deep snow = fail. Walking any distance in wellies = fail.

Decent pair of walking boots and gaiters.

Anthony
    Free Member

I’m with freeridenick, there are lots of other good brands other than Hunter, whom seem to have taken on a bit of fashion status.

I’m an Aigle man too 🙂

But, in the snow we’ve had I’m now in waterproof trousers, walking boots and gaiters. Otherwise the snow comes over the top of wellies!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘wellies v walking boots’ is closed to new replies.