Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Well that was a disaster (London content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

On Monday morning I rode from Paddington to Canary Wharf via Hyde Park and Victoria Embankment. I noticed a shorter route today to get back so I thought I’d try going along Holborn and Oxford St. My god that was a mistake. Not so much the traffic but the number of traffic lights. Took me a good 55 mins going as hard as I could (it’s 7.8 miles). I think the original route is much better despite being 0.7 miles longer according to Google.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Oxford Street = interval training.

smell_it
    Free Member

dis·as·ter

Noun:
    A sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life.

Drama queen ….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lordy. Mol you nutter! 😆 I jolly well have not cycled down Oxford St in years. It’s pretty much the worst street in London to ride along. Complete nightmate. Once hit a Japanese tourist who stepped off the kerb cos she was too excited by Selfridges to bother looking out for traffic. She bounced, then got up and ran into the shop. 😐

There is a decent parallel route that runs close to that one, but it takes a bit of getting to know it. Much much quieter though most of it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Rather than Oxford street I would have used Goodge Street, Mortimer Street and Wigmore Street.

Although in reality I agree with you and would have stuck with your first route. Quicker and nicer.

drofluf
    Free Member

Once hit a Japanese tourist who stepped off the kerb cos she was too excited by Selfridges to bother looking out for traffic

Remind me.. Is that 10 or 20 points? 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Drama queen ….

Nah. For Molgrips, this is restrained.

Sue_W
    Free Member

😯

Might have to reconsider going on Mr Elfin’s Festive London Pootle – I’m more used to dodging sheep than cars and shoppers!

Molgrips – did you find a cycle-friendly hotel in the end? I’m down there a fair bit for work and have often thought of taking my bike, but not known where would have safe bike storage.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Took me a good 55 mins going as hard as I could (it’s 7.8 miles)

Christ! if I cycled for 55 mins any time of the day round here I would be very very far away.

Blackhound

You stopped at red lights? In London?

I’ve only ridden Oxford St. once, never again.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t worry Sue we won’t be going anywhere near Oxford St, believe me.

It’s worse than Llandudno High St on a Saturday night. 😯

Kevevs
    Free Member

Elf london ride eh? That’ll be The Captain Kidd – Cheshire Cheese – Greenwich Union – Local offy. Don’t fall in the canal! 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Well that was a disaster (London content)’ is closed to new replies.