Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Well i've made one of those mudguard thingys .
  • oldfart

Still not convinced they do anything personally .So as i think £15 for a strip of neoprene is a right royal rip off i decided to make one .So old car innertube 4 zipties and 20 minutes in the garage job done ..Interesting to see how it performs on the Quantocks Saturday .Having seen the forecast wetness is the order of the day.
    Reckon if someone is willing to cough up that sort of money they wouldn't mind paying me a fiver for a more "agricultural" version !

jam-bo

work really well on the quantock where there are a lot of fast, wet trails. catchs all that shit that gets thrown out in front of you, which you then ride into.

robhughes
    Free Member

made one myself out of big bike inner tube.they work brill.

CheesybeanZ

yep , home made works a treat.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Tried this last year, did bugger all in my experience still allowing all sorts of filth into my eyeline and messing up my contact lenses.

Fitted one of those 'mucky-nutz' guards the other week and so far its been a hell of a lot better than the old 'beef flap' thing.
    Whilst £7.50 for a mucky-nutz guard isn't expensive, now i've seen what they are i reckon you could knock up your own out of some stiff plastic and a few zip-ties.

jam-bo

if you make them with skinny XC tubes then they aren't wide enough and don't work as well. DH tubes are wide enough but £8-10 a pop. that why I bought a neoguard.

Used with a crud catcher as well very little gets through. I'm just back from a mega wet night ride and it worked just ace.

james
    Free Member

"Reckon if someone is willing to cough up that sort of money they wouldn't mind paying me a fiver for a more "agricultural" version !"

I dunno, the RRP ones have velcro attachments so you ca take them off pretty quickly and easily. You can switch them between bikes if you want

The £8-10 for a DH tube I don't have a 'spare' one to cut up seems a waste

knottie8
    Free Member

I have a car inner tube to cut up to make one for the weekend , I will take it along if anyone wants to knock up a guard on the day.

langy
    Free Member

why all the wide tubes/car tubes? I made one last winter (and leave it on year round incidently) by taking a regular tube ('dead' one), filleting it, then just folding it to the desired thickness – I decided on three ply – dab of patch glue to hold it all together for easier handling (doesn't matter once in place), then the zip tie thing and done.

I find it catches an awful lot of the shit; not everything for sure, but is great to just leave in place for those days when you get a shower or whatever unexpectedly whilst out. Combine them with proper guards when really wet and you should capture most of the problem flotsam.

clareymorris

Get a fork-skin and a front crud catcher on and you will never need to wear glasses on the bike again – they work a treat!!

Northwind

If you fit a crudcatcher plus some sort of fork guard, you'll get results that almost start to compare to a Shockboard or similiar crown mounted guards. If the goal is really to cut down on the mud and water fling and spray, my advice is, stop fannying about, get the right tool for the job.

z1ppy

Northwind: If you fit a crudcatcher plus some sort of fork guard, you'll get results that almost start to compare to a Shockboard or similiar crown mounted guards

Yep I found the fork guard (beef-flap) to be useless without a downtube mounted crud guard, but as per NW, using both together I reckon it just beats my shockboard mudguard.

oldfart

I used a dead car tube free from a garage .Extra width makes all the difference !!!! 😈

Del

don't go too wide or you'll be rubbing cack into your fork stanchions.

Lucas
    Free Member

Flaps and crudie saved my eyes at the sh1tefest that was sherwood pines last night

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

I made one and it didn't do much good. I bought one and it didn't do much good. I finished up with motor cycle type front guards which are brilliant. That's on my out in the wilds XC bike.

On my trail centre hardtail I use a crud guard and one of the neoprene things and that works well.

Seems that different guards work well in different conditions.

DezB
    Free Member

Its pretty obvious you need a crud catcher positioned guard as well. Most of the crap is flung in that direction. The beef curtain (that was what they were called last year anyway!) just stops the stuff thats flung in front of you.
    I can't be arsed to make one, so the £4 off Ebay Brand-X thing is gonna do me.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

What's the problem with using Shockboards or similar? Crud Catchers are all very well until you turn your front wheel and get covered…!

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

What's the problem with using Shockboards or similar? Crud Catchers are all very well until you turn your front wheel and get covered…!

The style police will get you. Remember you've gotta luk cul, even when sh1t up to the nines!!!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Oh, FFS, since when have I ever worried about that? And of course, having a piece of car inner tube zip tied to your forks is SO much more stylish…!

zaskar
    Free Member

And this week I don't need to buy any clothes anymore as I've used a spare bin-liner and zip ties!

Seriously I think DIY can look great and some ideas have turned into production, but bumped into a guy last month who made DIY crud catchers on his Anthem…look terrible but did the job.

Fine line of looking great and working great varies as I know my old man would use an old inner tube for loads of inventions. I want my gear to work and look great so I modify guards that can be bought.

Dancake
    Free Member

+1 for the mucky nutz thingy here. stayed quite clean and maintained vision in both eyes so far…

Northwind

Just to clarify, I was saying that at best the crud + flappy thing starts to get close to working as well as a shockboard, not that they're as good 😉

As for looks, a crud catcher looks OK but the flappy things just look awful, much worse than a nice moto-style mudguard IMO.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I put one on my CRC wishlist as I like the orange writing 😉 but promptly removed it this afternoon (I wondered why they didn't list Manitou forks in their sizing guide . . . doh 🙄 )

saladdodger
    Free Member

stupid idea and they do not work

on my Maverick forks 😕

Reluctant
    Free Member

Will they work on a Lefty? 😆

JonEdwards
    Free Member

"n"th the pissflap/crudcatcher combo. Peaks last weekend – clean dry face. Impressively so.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Well i've made one of those mudguard thingys .’ is closed to new replies.