Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Well, I wasn’t expecting this… (New bike content)
  • richc
    Free Member

Thats one of the problems I have with 4 bars, you have to mess with the slow speed compression damping to get them to play nicely.

Have you ever tried a dw-link or maestro link bike? if you haven’t its a real eye opener, as they run shocks with virtual zero low speed compression damping as they don’t need to, and because of that, the traction is unbelievable.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve tried a Trance X with Maestro suspension, it was pretty good, but not as good as the Pitch 🙂

richc
    Free Member

horses for courses isn’t it, if everyone liked the same thing the world would be a very dull place.

Still can’t believe you can get the whole bike for under 1K, so much for global inflation 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thats one of the problems I have with 4 bars, you have to mess with the slow speed compression damping to get them to play nicely.

Sorry, don’t understand what you mean there. Are you latching onto me saying ‘it does bob a bit’ to get a point across? 🙂
    Because it’s not really like that at all. By a ‘bit’ I mena if you look down you can see the rocker moving a tad. If you don’t look down, you don’t notice it really, not even when climbing. It really is minimal.
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Don’t think you can get the whole bike for under a grand any more.

richc
    Free Member

no just stating a fact, the four bar is an active system, which can be controlled via slow speed damping on the shock. To stop it bobbing you increase the slow speed damping, which limits the effectiveness of the shock.

grumm
    Free Member

no just stating a fact, the four bar is an active system, which can be controlled via slow speed damping on the shock. To stop it bobbing you increase the slow speed damping, which limits the effectiveness of the shock.

I must remember to consider this the next time I am bombing down a hill on my Pitch.

Although actually, thinking about it, I dunno if I’ll bother riding it any more, you’ve kind of spoilt it for me now – I never realised the shock had limited effectiveness. Perhaps you should let the magazines who reviewed it know as well, cos they never mentioned it.

😛

richc
    Free Member

upto you, personally I would ride it until the next fad, then buy that and go on the internet and rave about how your latest purchase is the best thing since sliced bread 🙂

As I said (more than once) I’ve never ridden one, and considering its a Spesh I would be very surprised if it didn’t ride really well (well I think I said OK), and at the price I reckon its a pretty much unbeatable deal ride and money wise. However its not exactly news that 4 bars are bobby bastards to ride if you haven’t got a tweaked shock.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so what your tellign me is that 4 bars use some clever shock valving to stop them bobing, where IH, SC etc all rely on chain growth, giving them that unique/infuriating pedaling feel when climbing up rough slopes?

DezB
    Free Member

personally I would ride it until the next fad, then buy that and go on the internet and rave about how your latest purchase is the best thing since sliced bread

Ah, so that’s what you’ve done Peter!

Crikey I bet you didn’t expect this when you posted up your lil’ review.
    On the other hand…

richc
    Free Member

they all use different ways of getting around it, but it seems to be a split, around clever linkage, which is expensive to make/manufacture Vs clever shock.

I am the first to put my hand up saying I don’t understand exactly how all the different linkages work, however if for example Dave Turner and Scot Nicol with all their collective experience and knowledge are moving away from crippled shocks towards clever linkages, who am I to argue with them.

grumm
    Free Member

Hehe – sorry was being somewhat facetious. BTW I’ve had mine for ages well before all the recent 10/10 reviews etc 😛

I don’t know much about suspension designs, but I have tried out quite a few, and this was the one that I liked the best, which is surely the only thing worth worrying about?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

However its not exactly news that 4 bars are bobby bastards to ride if you haven’t got a tweaked shock.

I thought so. You’ve seen ‘it bobs a bit’ and translated that into ‘its really bad and bobs a huge amount’ haven’t you, just to get a point over?

Well, you are wong. Totally wong. And I defy ANY suspension system not to bob a bit when the’re legs the size of mine pounding up and down on it! It’s a lot of weight moving about! 😀

And you’ve not ridden one so you’ve no idea, and no referance point to compare it to VPP, Maestro or whatever. It’s all theory. You’re the armchair expert that someone referred to earlier in this thread, aren’t you?

😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ah, so that’s what you’ve done Peter!

Yeah, I sold out (AGAIN!)

Cheap bike = Crap bike
    Spesh = Boring

And other blinkered claptrap.
    What WAS I thinking?

😉

richc
    Free Member

Last comment, as I feel I might be biting here, and getting beaten with experience

If it suits you, makes you get out and ride and grin like an idiot at the bottom of every descent, then wicked, sounds like the perfect bike.

As for the bobbing comment I have ridden lots of 4 bars (3 spesh’s and 2 Titus’s) but no not the Pitch. Sounds like you are convinced its perfect, and in the end thats all that counts.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, it’s not prefect. The perfect bike doesn’t exist. Read the OP!
    🙂
    What my original point was that for the money and the spec, and even after riding it a bit, I wasn’t expecting it to be so good as soon as I pointed it downhill. But I guess that’s the compromise and the choice I made. It’s a downhill biased bike and I’ve not ridden a bike with that slant before…… But now I have? Bring on the Alps and the chairlifts!
    😀

HTTP404
    Free Member

I defy ANY suspension system not to bob a bit when the’re legs the size of mine pounding up and down on it! It’s a lot of weight moving about!

must be that smoooooooooth pedal stroke of yours 😀

he got a good deal on a four-bar that he so obviously – currently favours. it isn’t the holy grail of suspension bikes. he can tell when a fork is **** but he’s not wade simmons. he’s just enamoured with his new bike.

The End.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

well i thought he’d missed that and went for the duodenum

Hahahhahahahahahahahahaha!

Sooo funny…

robdob
    Free Member

Don’t think you can get the whole bike for under a grand any more.

No you can’t. He He He…
    I got the last one at £1050, and its being posted today, woo-chuffin-hoo!!!

I’m so excited I may pop.

Which WILL be messy. 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HAAAAAAAARSH!
    And I know what brand you mean and why you’ve said it as well.
    I’ll say again – OOOOOOHHHH!

Yeah it’s great when a company knows there is something wrong with their bikes but can’t be bothered sorting it out, carrying on selling them even though they know it’s an easy fix.

Won’t be getting on one of those types of bikes again.

😉

robdob
    Free Member

must be that smoooooooooth pedal stroke of yours

Don’t think so, it’s probably his gargantuan buttocks.

😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL! Maybe Peter and WCA can form a club together… 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Can I join?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Depends. How fat is your arse?

The Fat-Arsed Freeriders…

MrNutt
    Free Member

Sometimes I’m astonished at how anal you guys can get!
    😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

MrNutt, you’re a bit lardy-bummed; want to joint the FAF? (FAFrs?)

I, sadly, cannot, due to my small-yet-perfectly-formed posterior.

robdob
    Free Member

Suitably chunky.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr Nutt. Talking about anal.

Am I the only one that sees the connection there?

Yeah. Thought so.
    😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I, sadly, cannot, due to my small-yet-perfectly-formed posterior.

Nicely balanced by that hideously malfomed anterior
    😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL! – Who’s been adding tags again?
    😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

hideously malfomed anterior

I’ll let that one slide, as you’re obviously suffering some form of mental illness, and serious delusion.

[cough]moose knuckle[/cough]

racing_ralph
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

PMSL! – Who’s been adding tags again?
    [:D]

😈

MrNutt
    Free Member

no point in having a large peg if you’ve nowt to knock it in with eh! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!
    Gotta eat me dinner now.
    See ya laters….

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Uurgh. Enjoy yer dinner. I don’t think I’ll be having mine, now… 😕

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Well, I wasn’t expecting this… (New bike content)’ is closed to new replies.